PDA

View Full Version : Skaven starter

Plague
01-07-2006, 08:41
Well i'm fairly new to warhammer and i've read the rulebook and know the basics of the game and i'm now ready to start an army. after countless reviews of armies the one that grabbed me was skaven. what can i say..... i like rats. so would any experienced skaven players tell me how they are usually played tactically? any notable strengths or weaknesses that should be carefully considered? i'm all ears.

Tanith Ghost
01-07-2006, 11:01
If you want to have some fun, take warmachines. Then push them beyond all reason, and enjoy the carnage. Most all skaven warmachines, when pressed too far(not far at all) will misfire, causing massive casualties(and sometimes even killing a few enemy troops too).:p

In larger games, don't hesitate to set loose spells like plauge on your own troops- plauge could run amok on your enemy's army, or your own, or both.

Finaly, go for globadiers. Grenadiers armed with glass balls who gas themselves when they fumble a throw. What's not to like?:evilgrin:

Viskrit
01-07-2006, 13:46
Check the Tactics forum for tactics. There are some Skaven threads there.

I think you should go with the troop types you like, but stay away from SAD (too many ratling guns, warlock engineers and jezzails). If you want to keep your friends, that is.

Plague
03-07-2006, 20:18
Well thanks, i had one more question is there any particular units that i should not put in my army? example: is a grey seer on a screaming bell a waist of army list points?

Viskrit
03-07-2006, 20:37
I love Grey Seers, and I usually field one in 2000 points. Though some may argue that a Warlord is more worthwhile. What can I say, I love magic. :p

A Screaming Bell, though a cool centrepiece, isn't worth it in my opinion. It's too expensive for what it does. Sure, if you do roll 13 and the entire enemy army needs to take panic tests, it's great, but you have no guarantee for that. The Screaming Bell stays at home, if you ask me. It's a shame, since it's such a nice model.

Other units you shouldn't bring, hmm... not that I can think of. None that are utterly useless. Rat Ogres are very hard to succeed with, but I tend to field them anyway, for the fun of ogre-size models. :)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
03-07-2006, 20:40
Nothing is ever a waste of points! You may not, however, find the Screaming Bell fits your purposes. So why not proxy it for a game or three to see how it works out.

The Screaming Bell also serves as a very useful platform. Being a Large Target, it means the Grey Seer can pretty much ignore LoS restrictions for friendly and enemy troops, which can be a real pain for unwary players, especially thoses wusses who like to screen their best regiments.

And so what if it's not exactly reliable? It's Skaven. If you could depend on it (ala Ratling Guns!) it truly wouldn't be worth having!

Verminmistress
03-07-2006, 23:25
I wouldn't advise taking the Bell in games under 2500 points, though- it's just too *******' expensive. ;)

Mad Doc: I can't say I've ever found my Ratling Guns to be reliable. They have an unfortunate track record of accidentally shredding my own units...