PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of horrors?

Groza
08-04-2015, 10:52
So I love Tzeentch Horrors, I have a bunch and I wanted to use them with my WoC in a legions list.
But they just seem like absolute trash to me. I've seen people take them and I can't figure out their use for the life of me.
Heard people mentioning 6-dicing gateway but not only do I have a 2/3 chance of not getting that spell with my two units, I also don't understand why I would prioritize it over my DP's spells, like choir and every other slaanesh toy available to me.
That's the problem I see with magic in 8th, you can't really make a magic heavy list by adding casters like you used to in 7th because all that matters is the bonus to cast from the lvl4. Adding more wizards just means you'll have more spells you won't be able to cast because you're out of dice. Spending 260 pts for two more chances to channel dice and a unit that will disintegrate the moment it sees combat just seems absolutely demented to me.

So any feedback that could convince me to fit this unit into my already not-so-competitive list would be dearly appreciated.

EDIT: Just realized this is more at home on the tactics sub-board, could someone move it there please?

Itsacon
08-04-2015, 10:57
Step 1: Play old edition of Warhammer
Step 2: A pink horror that dies is replaced by 2 blue horrors
Step 3: Profit Unit grows as it takes damage, overwhelming enemy.

Groza
08-04-2015, 11:03
Step 1: Play old edition of Warhammer

Find me an opponent and I'm sold :cries:

Snake1311
08-04-2015, 11:09
Well, they are more commonly taken with Tzeentch casters - so then the gateway sits on them rather than the level 4, who casts the other spells on 2-3 dice and doesn't risk miscasts as much. Alternatively, the Deamon MSU list which doesn't use greater deamons (and therefore no level 4) uses them to chuck blue fire.

Few things to remember:
- chances of getting gateway with two units are actually 44%, which is nearer half than a third. You keep whatever you roll on the first unit, and then the second unit gets gateway either on a 6 or on a double.
- two dice at blue fire as an opening to the magic phase have to be met with 2 or more dice by the opponent, otherwise they risk losing concentration - so the magic level doesn't really matter much if you work around it.

Legion combo-wombos:
- Horrors around the herdstone will generate power dice.

It is possible that horrors don't fit very well in your current list if you already have a lot of magic levels elsewhere - especially if you are using legions, as the unit options are massive and so is the opportunity cost; but they are definitely a competitive unit and a top pick in the right context.

Groza
08-04-2015, 11:14
Thanks, that puts it into context a bit.