PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Goblins 2000 point list help

A_rhinoskorned
10-04-2015, 18:50
So basically I'm still brand new to Fantasy and I'm trying to design a list to play against my friends. I would like it to be as competitive as possible (I know kind of a joke since I am picking Orcs and Goblins) because Vampire Counts are super annoying since they can keep bringing units to the field. My thoughts so far are going heavy Goblin Shamans to try and control the magic phase. Currently what I am considering is this

Lord 555-575 points
Goblin Great Shaman
Level 4
Arrachnarok Spider Mount
Catchweb Shrine
Talisman of Preservation
Power Stone (can live without)

Heroes
Savage Orc Shaman
Level 2
Lucky Shrunken Head

I know I don't have much figured out but I know that I want to include a unit of Savage Orcs with additional hand weapons. A unit of Night Goblins with bows (and possibly add a Goblin Big Boss with a magic standard but not sure which one) and of course the chaff units of 5x Goblin Wolf Riders with spears. I'm not a huge fan of trolls because every video i see them used in they get slaughtered. I also am considering doing about 5 or 6 Nigh Goblin Shamans to hang around the Hero to truly take advantage of the shrine. Oh and Giants are ugly so no go on those.

Any ideas would help greatly.

A_rhinoskorned
10-04-2015, 18:51
I also don't own many models which is why i want to get the list down before I start shelling out more money

A_rhinoskorned
10-04-2015, 21:18
Okay so this is the list I threw together

Lords - 555

145 - Goblin Great Shaman
45 - Talisman of Preservation
35 - Level 4 Wizard
290 - Arachnarok Spider Mount
40 - Catchweb Shrine

Heroes - 491

70 - Savage Orc Shaman
35 - Level 2 Wizard
50 - Lucky Shrunken Head

35 - Goblin Big Boss
2 - Short Bow
2 - Sheild
2 - Light Armor
25 - Battle Standard Bearer
10 - Banner of Eternal Flame

65 - Orc Shaman
35 - Level 2 Wizard

55 - Goblin Shaman

55 - Goblin Shaman

50 - Night Goblin Shaman

Core - 609

63 - Goblins (21)
10 - Musician
10 - Standard Bearer
10.5 - Short Bows
10.5 - Sheild
30 - Night Skulkers (3)

160 - Savage Orcs (20)
40 - Big Uns
20- Additional Weapons
35 - Full Command

50 - Goblin Wolf Riders (5)
5 - Spears

5 - Spears

5 - Short Bows

5 - Short Bows

Special - 265

180 - Black Orcs (15)
15 - Sheilds
35 - Full Command

35 - Goblin Spear Chukka

Rare - 80

80 - Doom Diver Catapault

Total Points - 2000

Please tell me what you think and any changes you would make to make it more competitive.

valdrog
14-04-2015, 21:03
Makes all those Gobbo shamans NG shamans and pick lore of Undeath, and start summoning Undead units.

theJ
15-04-2015, 10:57
I'm rather sceptical on the whole "dominate the magic phase" plan. Remember, no matter how many wizards you stuff in there, you've still only got 2D6 power dice to use them with - your current list includes 11 spells... assuming you just use one dice per spell(unlikely to be enough), you'll have to roll at least 11 to get all of your spells off... not counting channels, admittedly, but still... there's no way you'll get enough dice for this plan to work.

If you want to dominate the magic phase, look for options(usually items) that give you more power/dispel dice, or bonuses to cast/dispel, or that messes up enemy casting values... or that affects miscasts... or that auto-dispels... or that forces spells to be forgotten...
...or just whack the enemy wizards over the head with a rock. Either works fine, really.

Oh, and also; your units are rather tiny. Consider giving them more ranks. Especially the Goblins, who tend to die REALLY quickly.

In Dark Trees
15-04-2015, 22:32
I hate to be glib, but where's the army? I feel like this list contains too many characters and too few grunts. It would be very fragile in a fight.

Also--and this applies to almost every aspect of the Orc and Goblin list--unit redundancy is critical. Why take one Spear Chukka when you can take 4?

emirparkreiner7
17-04-2015, 17:41
If you are looking to be more competitive, here are some thoughts.

The Shrine strategy sounds interesting, but Little Waagh spells aren't going to vanquish Vampire Counts. This sounds particularly risky if the Vampire Counts player has a Terrorgheist. One could easily kill the Arachnarok AND your Shaman as you don't have a General with high leadership. I would drop the Great Shaman. Upgrade your Savage Shaman to a Great Shaman instead.

As said before, you need larger units. 30 Savages, at least 20 Black Orcs, and at least 40 Goblins. I feel like these Goblins should be Night Goblins. The boost in Initiative lets you strike before Skeletons and Crypt Horrors and simultaneously with Crypt Ghouls.

If your opponent is playing competitive as well you will be facing an unstoppable Vampire Lord. You need to tie him up as long as possible. Chaff him if you can but it can be difficult to out-chaff Vampire Counts. Try out your Wolf Riders and see what you can do.

Two Doom Divers are better than one. And they're hilarious!

A_rhinoskorned
17-04-2015, 19:42
Ok so far this is what I have adjusted the army to.

Lords - 555

145 - Goblin Great Shaman
45 - Talisman of Preservation
35 - Level 4 Wizard
290 - Arachnarok Spider Mount
40 - Catchweb Shrine

Heroes - 486

70 - Savage Orc Shaman
35 - Level 2 Wizard
50 - Lucky Shrunken

35 - Goblin Big Boss
2 - Short Bow
2 - Sheild
2 - Light Armor
25 - Battle Standard Bearer
10 - Banner of Eternal Flame

65 - Orc Shaman
35 - Level 2 Wizard

55 - Goblin Shaman

50 – Night Goblin Shaman

50 - Night Goblin Shaman

Core - 649

93 - Goblins (31)
10 - Musician
10 - Standard Bearer
15.5 - Short Bows
15.5 - Sheild
30 - Night Skulkers (3)

240 - Savage Orcs (30)
60 - Big Uns
30 - Additional Weapons
35 - Full Command

5 - Spears

5 - Spears

Special - 230
Night Goblin Squig Herd
30 – Night Goblin Herders (10)
200 – Cave Squigs (25)

Rare - 80

80 - Doom Diver Catapault

Total Points – 2000

I switched to a Squig Herd because a lot of attacks is desirable plus they are part of the reason I chose to play Orcs and Goblins anyway. I have been trying to build up the overall army numbers to increase survivability.

The only down fall I see to switching the Goblins to Night Goblins is that they would have to lose the shields to give them bows.

I still like the idea of the shrine strategy mostly because if I am lucky on average I should gain an extra 3 dice each magic phase since he changes the channeling to a 4+ for any wizard within 12". I could drop the Orc Shaman to upgrade the Savage Orc Shaman to a Savage Orc Great Shaman level 4 with the shrunken head but then the channel average would go to 2.5 which to me is still fairly worth while since he would end up being my General with a higher Ld. I could also drop the 2 Night Goblin Shamans and add another Doom Diver Catapault and throw in 4 more goblins. Of course that would drop the channel average to 1.5 kind of defeating the overall strategy.

Any new thoughts and critiques?