PDA

View Full Version : Could Chaos dwarfs...

Silent Surrender
12-04-2015, 11:37
Be a bigger possibility then ever in 9th? They should be very easy to IP, is there even Another setting with evil dwarfs? I could see a great bitterness amongst some of the surviving dwarfs who had Everything taken from them, its almost as if it was meant to be, and a logical beginning to the evil dwarfs rather then drinking warpstone beer.

Also seeing vampires become good, why not dwarfs go bad? With some staying good ofcourse!

This could be a new beginning for the Little basterds.

El Torro
12-04-2015, 12:24
Expanding the Chaos Dwarves as part of the Chaos army could be a possbility. They won't be a faction on their own as 9th will bring fewer factions, not more.

Adam_Barrow
12-04-2015, 13:55
GW's history with Chaos Dwarves means it would go like this:

"Chaos Dwarves confirmed for 9th Edi--SQUATTED."

Silent Surrender
12-04-2015, 14:33
Expanding the Chaos Dwarves as part of the Chaos army could be a possbility. They won't be a faction on their own as 9th will bring fewer factions, not more.

Exactly. I could see them appearing with skaven in some kind of dark forge book. And both of them deal with slaves. How about that, skaven give them slaves, chaos dwarfs give them technology.

sixfthoneybadger
12-04-2015, 15:38
GW's history with Chaos Dwarves means it would go like this:

"Chaos Dwarves confirmed for 9th Edi--SQUATTED."
That is hilarious!!!

Urgat
12-04-2015, 17:39
Archaon novel spoiler :
Chaos dwarfs got wiped out by Grimgor during ET, so nope.

Smooth Boy
12-04-2015, 18:23
Considering all the armies are being streamlined based on race I can't see them splitting the Dwarfs, who are apparently not even going to have their own book anymore. Maybe in a few years, if the reboot does well, they'll expand. I wouldn't hold your breath however.

Voss
12-04-2015, 18:33
Be a bigger possibility then ever in 9th?
No

They should be very easy to IP, is there even Another setting with evil dwarfs? .
Yes. Several. See Confrontation, and various iterations of D&D with duergar and derro.
Others too, but realistically, if you think you can make something less of an IP issue by tossing an Evil! tag in front, you think wrongly.

But mostly Chaos Dwarves are a giant IP hole because they're mostly a pseudo-historical army (vaguely Babylonian or Assyrian, except with gunpowder), but Dwarves. There aren't many ways out other than completely redoing them from the ground up, which negates the point of dragging all the baggage along in the first place.

Stegadeth
12-04-2015, 21:01
Be a bigger possibility then ever in 9th?
Since they're dead, I'm going with no.

They should be very easy to IP, is there even Another setting with evil dwarfs?
Easy to IP protect a race that is public domain through mythos of several cultures? Not likely. And yes, there are many settings with evil dwarfs.

Urgat
12-04-2015, 22:32
Even with Tolkien there's evil dwarfs, they're mentionned in the Silmarillion

infamousme
13-04-2015, 02:30
KOW has the Abyssal Dwarfs as well...

Silent Surrender
13-04-2015, 12:42
Archaon novel spoiler :

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Also Im quite amazed Tolkiens stories has evil dwarfs, didnt expect that at all.

Adam_Barrow
13-04-2015, 14:17
There are a few instances of bad dwarves in Tolkien, though I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call them evil. There's the fight with Thingol of Doriath, but that was for treasure. There's the petty dwarf that rats out Turin and his crew, but they shot his son in the back with an arrow a few pages before.

Hardly evil stuff, mostly self-interested. Aule made his folk durable against Morgoth's influence.

Roark
30-04-2015, 09:03
Since they're dead, I'm going with no.

S'cuse my almost total ignorance, but... didn't everyone die except the Lizardmen? Like, didn't the whole world end? Why would the Chaos Dwarfs be disadvantaged from returning in 9th by dying in a book where everyone died?

Jator
30-04-2015, 13:47
But they had a natural death (being chopped by orcs), not the "absorbed by a blackhole" that all the old world inhabitants had in the end. Maybe that makes some kind of difference.
To be honest, i recall that in an interview the author of the last end times novel mentions that, probably, some chaos dwarfs' outposts survived. Anyway, considering the care GW had shown for them all this years i doubt we see them in ninth edition.

A bummer, i really like their looks and fluff. Also, hobgoblins.

Ender Shadowkin
30-04-2015, 21:15
Archaon novel spoiler :

Spoiler Alert

EVERYONE got wiped out in the End times, lol. If your going by that standard there would be nobody left at all to form a new faction.:D Also, doubt even Grimgor pulled off 100% genocide. He probably just killed a lot and broke all thier nice things.

The_Real_Chris
01-05-2015, 14:19
All I know is they are min maxing little sods in bloodbowl