PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Towers list

Minigiant
16-04-2015, 07:26
Hello everyone

I love the Dark Elf models but having played against Dark Elves enough recently i do not want to do a force filled entirely with Fast Cavalry and Dark Pegasus. It is not fun and i am not particularly fond of painting horses.

My favorite models in the range are the Cauldron of Blood and the Bloodwrack Medusa Shrine. I want both, if not multiple ofs.

This is not a thread to say the Shrine is useless (I already know, and do not care). This is a thread to make a particular idea work to its maximum potential. My list will be 2400 Points

Without the book in my hands for a couple of days, i need suggestions on what to run

Fire away

phlewis
20-04-2015, 16:47
I would suggest a horde of Witch Elves with the Cauldron. It gives them a 5++ ward and double frenzy. At least one unit of Dark Riders is very useful. Corsairs have a 4+ armour save, and can either have two hand weapons or two hand xbows. In a large unit take the hand weapons. Small units of hand xbows can act as redirectors and hopefully plink away and do some damage over time. A single Dark Pegasus is useful for monster or artillery hunting. Chariots are tough and can act as a tarpit for a couple of turns or as support for any of your main units to help break an enemy unit on the charge.

I have never used the Shrine so can't suggest what to take to make it shine.

Good luck.

Dark_Kindred
20-04-2015, 23:11
I don't have my Codex on hand so most of my suggestions will be pretty general.

You could do a Khainanite army. For your Lords choice, take Morathi and use your Hero allocation to get the Cauldron of Blood. Fill your core with a stupid number of Witch Elves with the Razor Standard and maybe two or three units of Darkriders. Take a blob of Temple Executioners to crack more heavily armored opponents. From a practical standpoint, you'll probably need to bring at least two and preferably 4 Reaper Bolt Throwers help control Frenzy by blowing apart enemy chaff. Despite your distaste, you'll probably want your BSB on a Dark Pegasus with Cloak of Twilight.

Dark Elf
21-04-2015, 00:30
Hello everyone

I love the Dark Elf models but having played against Dark Elves enough recently i do not want to do a force filled entirely with Fast Cavalry and Dark Pegasus. It is not fun and i am not particularly fond of painting horses.

My favorite models in the range are the Cauldron of Blood and the Bloodwrack Medusa Shrine. I want both, if not multiple ofs.

This is not a thread to say the Shrine is useless (I already know, and do not care). This is a thread to make a particular idea work to its maximum potential. My list will be 2400 Points

Without the book in my hands for a couple of days, i need suggestions on what to run

Fire away

Oh my sweet summer child :D
There are so many ways to play a Druchii force. It is unfortunately though you ran into a pure cavalry DE.

Well if you are going to do themes you have the two most popular - Corsairs and Cult of Khaine. Both are pretty much self explanatory and have their own characters. A bit lesser known option is Karond Kar beastmasters - a predominantly monster list.

If you don't have any particular theme in your mind then here is my advice for 2400:

-Cauldron/Shrine in these points is a no brainer. Cauldron is a bit more useful than the Shrine, but it doesn't mean Shrine is useless (shrine is excellent at synergizing with dark lore and Kharibdys) . You put the said cauldron in your hard hitting unit. That unit should be either black guard, exectuioners or witch elves. Or if you're feeling lucky even in CoK unit.

-I personally dislike witch elves. I play with experienced players and they know better than to let witches near them so I always opt for corsairs. Witches have no armor, but cauldron gives them 5++. It isn't bad bud still, after so many games of them being shot to death I cba to field them. You should try them out certainly.

-Dark elf crossbows are a must. 20 of them darken the skies.

-As for heavy infantry there are 2 choices: black guard (2 attacks, s3+halberd) and executioners (1 attack, s4+gw). I personally favor BG. Both have pros and cons: BG has stubborn which really works well for me. S4 and those 2 attacks are decent, but they can't handle heavy armor. Executioners on the other hand know how to handle armor with s6 and killing blow. Unfortunately, they don't do well against other elves as they get to attack 2nd which means a lot of them are dead before they strike any blows. But against non elves? Well damn, they kill a lot. And both units work nice with cauldron. If you give it to the executioners along with Tullaris (their special character) you'll make your opponent weep bitter tears.

-Hydras are a good support which can also take on smaller units due to thunder stomp and fiery breath, reaper bolters too.

-As for rare this is where you should really consider taking Doom fire warlocks. Yes they're fast cav. but they do the job so good and 1 unit wouldn't kill you I think. 10 of them at least or 2 units of 5.

-Characters are also fun and highly flexible. I'm too tired to write much longer so I'll give you one interesting combo - DE lvl 1 sorceress with lore of beasts signature spell. Or you can take Dark Magic signature spell too.

I might come back tomorrow to continue this post :D
And welcome to Dark Elves!

P.S. If you have any questions ask away :D