PDA

View Full Version : Extreme WYSIWYG Nitpicking

robertsjf
01-07-2006, 21:11
I'm just trying to test the waters a bit. Here we go:
I play Black Legion CSM because I couldn't make up my mind about taking a specific cult army. With BL I can take, well, anything I feel like taking. Down the road, I imagine I'll have enough of certain troop types to field viable, albeit small, cult armies. Would anyone rupture their spleen if someone had a cult army that was painted BL? Followed all of the cult army restrictions and everything just happened to have minis painted black and gold? Hit the polls for me!

RampagingRavener
01-07-2006, 21:15
Perfectly fine. You can paint them however you want, as long as all the wargear and such is visible (and even then, I personally don't give a damn about that either).

Grotsnik
01-07-2006, 21:17
Tell your opponent in advance & there should be no problem.
Nothing says an army has to be a specific color to start with.:D

Sir_Lunchalot
01-07-2006, 21:21
that'd be like going ape on someone because his striking scorpions aren't painted green. painting does not matter. As long as you're using the correct models, you're good. The only exception to this is the Red Paint Job on Ork vehicles. that you kinda need to paint on.

Rabid Bunny 666
01-07-2006, 21:23
Fine just fine dude.

Acolyte
01-07-2006, 21:38
As long as I know beforehand what it is, it could be painted neon green with purple stripes for all I care.
Although I'd probably have an objection to that army, for sake of my precious eyes.

The only exception to this is the Red Paint Job on Ork vehicles. that you kinda need to paint on.

And even then, just as long as it's got a special-ish paintjob, it's all good. I knew a redshirt that used silver lightning bolts to represent the RPJ (His army had a blue paintjob, so randomly red vehicles would have looked awful)

Grimtuff
01-07-2006, 21:57
Crap! voted "no", thought it said "would you have a problem..." That'll learn me :rolleyes:

As others have said, I could not really give a crap about how they are painted etc. as long as you tell me at the beginning what army it is.

Shaper Shakra
01-07-2006, 22:05
As long as you made it ovbious what army you were playing with. I mean, don't base your lord off the Abaddon model then tell me after deployment that your playing Thousand Suns. I would hit you.

Seth the Dark
01-07-2006, 22:55
I wouldn't have a problem since I have a Eldar army that uses Biel-Tan rules but is not painted like a Biel-Tan force.

SAMAS
01-07-2006, 23:49
Well, IIRC, a WD article showed that BL cult troops had the normal BL color scheme, just with certain details picked out in colors for that particular cult. Their Berserkers, for example, only had red helmets.

Just say that it's a gathering of several members of the Black Legion that worship that one god.

Gloryseeker
01-07-2006, 23:56
I have no prob with it at all.
My word bearers are painted green and gold.
Ive just called them the Sons of the Underdark instead and still use all of the word bearers special rules.

Chem-Dog
02-07-2006, 01:28
As far as I'm concerned this is fine, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the Black Legion can group together all of it's Khorne Nutters and send them off to do some suicide mission somewhere, In the Chaos Codex, Abbadon's Chosen are all dedicated to a specific God, so it's in keeping with the background too.

adreal
02-07-2006, 03:13
would the cult models, be the right ones just painted ion BL colours, or just normal marines using cult rules? I Don't care either way, but it might be easier to tell what rules you are using

x-esiv-4c
02-07-2006, 03:24
Paint your stuff whatever. just make sure that your Dr Pepper is a soda and not a daemon prince....

hivefleetcarrion
02-07-2006, 03:34
i wouldnt mind, though telling me what im ayign against would be nice :)

majority of my firends armies are just spraypainted balck, so i feel good when i play against an army that has been painted :)

starlight
02-07-2006, 04:16
If your opponent has an issue, they aren't worth having as an opponent. Just clarify before hand and get gaming.:D

Ardathair
02-07-2006, 06:31
Miss read question. Thought it asked would you have a problem, no I do not have a problem with that.

Only thing is Tzeench marines are supposed to be Thousand Sons Legion :wtf: , a problem with GWs background not with someone using them.

loco_smoko
02-07-2006, 06:58
Crap! voted "no", thought it said "would you have a problem..." That'll learn me :rolleyes:

Bugger it!! I did the same thing.
For a friendly pick up game I wouldn't go bananas as this is a game where people have pink necrons with butterflies, and I have no problems with that either.

Cheers

jerry

Brother Muninn
02-07-2006, 07:12
I personally like the third option, but you forgot to mention that the second step in undoing the brainwashing is to allow yourself to be cut down by a withering hail of the imperiums righteous ammunition.

I mean really. DIE TRAITOROUS SCUM!

but seriously, do what you want. I'm all about conversion and modification, it adds flair & authenticity to an army. do what you think looks good.

starlight
02-07-2006, 07:12
Hello Kitty Sisters of Battle anyone?

http://www.exlibrismortis.org/

Commander Zhypher
02-07-2006, 07:46
Hello kitty sisters of battle rocks :)

on the quesion: i dont care how it is painted as long as it is painted, and you let me know what model it is, and that you acctualy use models instead of random boxes and bottles as tanks and walkers :)

Wargamejunkie
02-07-2006, 13:12
What are you KIDDING!!!!

Everybody loves DR. Carnifex.

But I say go for it, you should let them know what rules you are useing beforehand, but everyone should do that.

Sakura
02-07-2006, 13:16
Why would you want to be black legion, why not leave them unpainted untill you decide?

Wraithbored
02-07-2006, 13:33
Colours are just that colours, as long as you tell me what I am seeing it's all good.

robertsjf
02-07-2006, 13:56
would the cult models, be the right ones just painted ion BL colours

Oh yes, real Khorne Bezerkers/ Nurgle Plague Marines/ Slaanesh Noise Marines, just painted black instead of red/rusty-green/pink.

Eduard
02-07-2006, 13:59
Should be no problem. They're just a cult who worship The Black legion and the messiah Abbadon.

Corn Berserker
02-07-2006, 17:49
With the exception of Khorne and Slaanesh I think the models are a must. Not all of those who worship Khorne and Slaanesh are World Eaters or Emperor's Children. As for the others, the codex states that models with the MOT are members of the Thousands Sons legion, as Ahriman only granted the TS with the rubric thingy, so no black armour for them... for plague marines to be distinguished from the rest of the army you should model some rot and decomposition, also the true grit thing would make a difference to the model too.

Getifa Ubazza
02-07-2006, 20:13
As long as you tell me what rules your using. I dont care what colour your models are. As for Black legion cult armies; Im sure they are within the fluff. If i remember correctly, there was a Khorne berzerker Iron warrior Captain in Storm of Iron by Graham Mcneill. I know its not BL but i think it makes my point.

Hlokk
02-07-2006, 20:27
Look mate, its like this. You'r forking out the money for the models, its your right to paint them however you want. Inform your opponent and your ready to rock.

If your opponent objects, perhaps their not the sort of person thats worth playing against.

sralialo
03-07-2006, 14:52
I would've voted for yes if you hadn't made the oh!-so-much-better-and-fun-option. Of coure it'd ok. Especially if you explain your opponents why...

Aegius
03-07-2006, 18:03
I have voted 'no'. I used to be free and easy with this sort of thing. It's not too bad if you are just going to do it once or twice with the intention of collecting a correctly painted cult army.

jfrazell
03-07-2006, 18:18
Whats the issue? There are a variety of additional chaos chapters in the codex itself as noted in the painting section (evidently marines are easy to tempt :angel: ). Just tell your opponent first, as you would any of the non-Big 4 marine chapters.

jfrazell
03-07-2006, 18:33
Aegius:
Although I respect your opinion, please elaborate. What are your reasons for having a beef.

1) What is the Black Legion color scheme - Black and Gold? (I think). Thats a pretty common scheme.

2) As noted, the chaos codex is as open ended as the marine codex in color schemes and alternate chapters.

3) As long as he's not specifically using Black legion iconography (not sure what constitutes that) then he's not representing Black Legion guys.

Zedsdead
04-07-2006, 05:51
my SMs are painted different then reg ultra marines. Yet i follow the codex. nothing wrong with it

n00bLord
04-07-2006, 05:59
My CSM have black, and gold. But in no way as the Black legion, if you had a BL marine standing beside one of mine you would think one went drunk with the paint brush!

Insane Psychopath
04-07-2006, 08:51
As long as the models where converted with wargear, say Khorne for exsample. As long as your "Black Legion" where models with wargear & I was noted before the game that you where useing Khorne rules, I'd be fine.

On that note, I was planning the same of a Black Legion army but under Khrone (as why my exsample). But now I chosen just to go for a shooty force :D

But as long as I was told before the game.

IP

Tymell
04-07-2006, 10:48
I have mine painted in that scheme, but never even considered it a possible problem. Not at all. You've bought them, it's totally your decision to paint them as you wish. I mean if your opponent says he won't play you because your legion aren't painted just right, then he's frankly being a jackass and I wouldn't want to play him in the first place ;)

Completely up to you how you paint them. It's just a hobby and a game.

I must say I'm quite stunned at the number of people who've voted "no" :wtf: Reading through the posts I count about 5 examples of it explained, most mistakes, but that still leaves about 15 "no" votes. Would you guys care to explain perhaps? Meh, maybe it's not coincidence that the ones voting "no" tend not to try to explain it :rolleyes:

robertsjf
06-07-2006, 17:37
Thanks for the responses everyone. I normally play with folks who feel the same way: color scheme isn't really WYSIWYG. I did want to bounce this off of a larger community just to make sure we weren't some crazy isolated case. Given the vote count we aren't, followed by the fact that we're cultists. To those who generally answered "no," I would've liked more comments as to why, but can understand hesitance to do so.

El Ravager
06-07-2006, 23:31
To those who generally answered "no," I would've liked more comments as to why, but can understand hesitance to do so.

As one of the 'no' votes, how about "I read the poll question backwards?" ;)

Doesn't look I am the only one either. Seriously, IMHO, paint scheme has nothing to do with wysiwyg.

robertsjf
07-07-2006, 00:13
As one of the 'no' votes, how about "I read the poll question backwards?" ;)

You are forgiven. That makes 6....

marinesmarines
07-07-2006, 01:25
Look mate, its like this. You'r forking out the money for the models, its your right to paint them however you want. Inform your opponent and your ready to rock.

If your opponent objects, perhaps their not the sort of person thats worth playing against.

and what if my chaos army is many different colours..:D

jfrazell
07-07-2006, 12:51
and what if my chaos army is many different colours..:D

The you have Chaos Rainbow Warriors!:eek:

ffclubhero
07-07-2006, 13:46
I proxy or use the 'counts as' concepts quite a bit while experimenting with different Space Marine options. Making sure your opponent knows this is essential.

robertsjf
07-07-2006, 19:44
I wouldn't be proxying, though. I'd have the actual minis with the actual wargear, just painted black and gold (rusty for Nurgle).

starlight
07-07-2006, 20:13
.............and anyone who has an issue, likely isn't worth playing against.:p

Da Reddaneks
07-07-2006, 20:16
Black Legion cant have cultists can they? i thought Alpha Legion is the only one that gets cultists.

but i totally fail to see how anyone would have a problem with cultists being painted black legion colors. What color(s) are cultists suppose to be painted anyway?

anyone who has an issue, likely isn't worth playing against.:p
ditto

Venomizer
07-07-2006, 20:33
.............and anyone who has an issue, likely isn't worth playing against.:p

my sentiments exactly

I've had people raise eyebrows in my direction because my Necrons aren't the regulation mithril silver w/ slight inking & green plastic rods (for those who may be interested my current Necron army is boltgun metal & burnished gold w/ black rods - thank god for sharpies permanent markers)

starlight
07-07-2006, 20:50
Alpha Legion has a much greater tendancy to use cultists, but there isn't any ban against the other Legions doing so. As to colours - do what you will and have fun doing it.:D

Colours I use: Tyranids - yellow/purple, Cadians - camo, Marines - green/some camo (Salamander Successors), Sisters - white/blue, Blood Axe Orks - Imperial colours, etc.