PDA

View Full Version : Declaring a Charge

gorblud
19-04-2015, 21:03
"Note that if such an obstruction is another unit, and there is a chance that the intervening unit will move out of the chargers' way before the charge is completed, the charge is 'possible', and therefore can be declared."

Wrote down the important part of the rule.

Looking at the picture and the rules. Unit number 2 should be able to declare a charge against the black unit on the right, since unit number 1 can later declare charge against either that unit or the unit in front of them, right?

This came up in a game earlier and my opponent said that because unit number 1 is in the way and has not yet declared a charge, it is impossible for unit numer 2 to do so. Apparantly this is how all his friends plays it.

Who's correct?

Mr_Rose
19-04-2015, 21:34
By the rules, you are. You should probably just declare that other charge first though. Remember that you don't move any chargers until all your declarations are done anyway.

Vulgarsty
19-04-2015, 21:55
but just to clarify a slightly different situation, could you declare a charge if the intervening friendly unit will move out of the way (in the remaining moves phase) but not charging?

Kayosiv
19-04-2015, 21:58
No. You could declare the charge if is AT ALL POSSIBLE that the unit will be out of the way. So if unit 1 had nothing it was able to legally charge, unit 2 could not declare that charge.

I do this all the time when I declare charges with 3 or 4 units into a single unit when not all of them can fit. If some of the charges fail, I decide who and how the remaining units go in. If they all make it, I can decide who fails, based on what order I decide to move them.

gorblud
20-04-2015, 18:19
Would it be considered an ******* move to declare charge with the 2nd unit, but then not declare a charge with unit 1, thus making unit 2 fail its charge?

Mr_Rose
20-04-2015, 18:48
Hm, yep, probably. Especially if unit 2 is frenzied and failed it's restraint test.

Nicreap
20-04-2015, 20:46
Except that is a commonly used tactic to control frenzy, you put a small unit in front of it so it can't go rushing off to the middle of nowhere before you want it to engage a unit. If unit 2 fails it's frenzy check and has to charge there is no rule that says you have to make unit 1 charge so unit 2 can make it's charge. There are very few other situations where you would want to declare a charge and intentionally block it, since unit 2 appears to be a unit and not a monster that might have terror.

Maetco
21-04-2015, 10:21
All this is explained very clearly under Can I Charge:

"A unit cannot declare an impossible charge – i.e. one that it cannot possibly complete, either because...or because intervening obstructions make it impossible for the unit to make a charge move that allows it to move into contact. Note that if such obstruction is another unit, and there is a chance that the intervening unit will move out of the chargers’ way before the charge is completed, the charge is ‘possible’, and therefore can be declared"

but just to clarify a slightly different situation, could you declare a charge if the intervening friendly unit will move out of the way (in the remaining moves phase) but not charging?

How do you move out of the way in the Remaining Moves when Moving Chargers becomes before that?

Greyshadow
21-04-2015, 11:46
Would it be considered an ******* move to declare charge with the 2nd unit, but then not declare a charge with unit 1, thus making unit 2 fail its charge?

I get what you are saying. No, it would be a totally fair, it is in the rules and is a legitimate tactic. The unit may fall for your bluff and decide to flee even if you had no real intention to declare the charge that would make it possible. The rules are written for such shenanigans.

P.S. I will admit though some stuff that is legit by the rules is pretty beardy - conga lines reforms into watchtowers spring to mind, what you have suggested is not beardy like this. Well done for making an effort to be a good sport!

gorblud
22-04-2015, 16:53
Alright great :) I've been doing this a couple of times, against already fleeing units for example. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't considered unsportmanly!