PDA

View Full Version : Pure Night Goblins 2k

Spiney Norman
22-04-2015, 18:21
This is for a fun narrative game playing through the End Times scenario series, this will be the defender army for the Battle of Skull Chasm. The theme is Night goblin pure, with the sole concession of a giant, because he features in the scenario.

Lords
NG Warboss Grulsik Moonclaw
Great weapon, armour of silvered steel, talisman of preservation, potion of foolhardiness

NG Great Shaman Brak Batwing
L4, Spells of the Little Waaagh! Staff of channeling

Heroes
NG Bigboss; Battle standard bearer, Standard of discipline, great weapon

NG Bigboss; Great Cave Squig, Spear, light armour, Enhanted shield, Luckstone

NG Shaman; Level 2, spells of the little Waaagh! Dispel scroll

Core
50 Night Goblins; Spears, Nets, full command, 3 Fanatics
50 Night Goblins; Nets. Full command, 3 Fanatics
20 Night Goblins; shortbows, Standard bearer & musician

Special
Squig Herd; 20 Squigs, 10 Herders
10 Squig Hoppers

Rare
Giant
Squig Gobba
Mangler Squigs

Any comments, suggestions or strategies?

the_night_reaper
23-04-2015, 19:46
it's definitely fluffy, it doesn't seem very good though. Try to get some war machines, you can use Ngobbo models as crew. atm someone just needs to send vanguarders or some fast cav at you to release all your fanatics and then st back as they chew through your army, picking apart anything that actually manages to advance

Ruront
24-04-2015, 07:36
I always considered stone trolls fitting with night goblins.
You might want more magic.

Spiney Norman
24-04-2015, 11:13
Thanks for the feedback guys

it's definitely fluffy, it doesn't seem very good though. Try to get some war machines, you can use Ngobbo models as crew. atm someone just needs to send vanguarders or some fast cav at you to release all your fanatics and then st back as they chew through your army, picking apart anything that actually manages to advance

I agree it's going to be a challenge to play, and I do know I need to bubble-wrap the hordes carrying the fanatics, esp as I will be playing an undead legion. If I deploy the hordes on my baseline with the Squig hoppers in front of them, that should deter any cheeky Vargards with skeleton horsemen or the wraith cavalry if he brings them. Hmmm, now I think about it, it might be sensible to throw a cheap magic weapon on my Squig boss, iirc those wraith Cav are ethereal, maybe the sword of striking might be a good idea?

I don't deny Warmachines would be useful, but it's about how far I'm willing to sacrifice theme, hopefully my Squig gobba will pull some weight.

I always considered stone trolls fitting with night goblins.
You might want more magic.

I think I would bend the theme for stone trolls, but alas I only have rivers, if only they had made some plastic stone trolls too, I'm just not at all confident at keeping a squad of trolls going when the army is led by a NG Warboss ;)

I'm interested in what other magic you would put in, 6 levels is about my limit at 2k, do you think changing it up to 2 L4s would be a better plan? I guess I just feel that sinking even more points into the worst magic lore in the game is probably not the best idea.

I'd really like to take the Lore of undeath (zombie Fanatipults are great), but the scenario rules we're using prevent it (Nagash hasn't risen yet).

sigmarus
24-04-2015, 12:27
Your magic is fine with a lvl 2 and lvl 4 since you are not taking undeath. Do not add points there, but if anything, reduce the lvl 2 to a lvl 1 and use points elsewhere.

Also, if you are playing against undead legions, where are your magic weapons? The big boss on great gave squig MUST have one (imo), and I also like to give mine the potion of strength.

Put the ruby ring of ruin on one of your heroes to take out fast cav and deny regen to those undead hordes.

With such low leadership, i would get a crown of command.

Spiney Norman
24-04-2015, 17:20
Your magic is fine with a lvl 2 and lvl 4 since you are not taking undeath. Do not add points there, but if anything, reduce the lvl 2 to a lvl 1 and use points elsewhere.

Also, if you are playing against undead legions, where are your magic weapons? The big boss on great gave squig MUST have one (imo), and I also like to give mine the potion of strength.

Put the ruby ring of ruin on one of your heroes to take out fast cav and deny regen to those undead hordes.

With such low leadership, i would get a crown of command.

Ok, L1 it is, what weapon would you take on the squig boss? I'm thinking the sword of striking. Unfortunately I can't give my warboss a magic weapon because the scenario rules stipulate he has to have a GW and taking a magic weapon on the bsb would mean I have to sacrifice the stabdard of discipline. I guess I could dial back on the WBs defensive items and slip the Ruby ring on him.

Jind_Singh
25-04-2015, 00:21
I'd go for a Level 1 with ring of fire! That way the bugger can burn some fools and with some luck get a decent spell too.

Even 2 Level 2's is more than ample in an army of this size - and saves you a few points, and poo poo the scroll - Night Goblins can't read anyway!

I'd rather get more units into the list - Giant is sexy times always, but I'd want to look at:

More Squig Herds
Squig Hoppers can be split into 2 units
CHEAP magic weapons for characters for the etheral threat

Also move 1 fanatic from each unit so the 3rd unit has some - then all THREE units boasting 2 fanatics each...

BOSSE!

Spiney Norman
25-04-2015, 08:12
I'd go for a Level 1 with ring of fire! That way the bugger can burn some fools and with some luck get a decent spell too.

Even 2 Level 2's is more than ample in an army of this size - and saves you a few points, and poo poo the scroll - Night Goblins can't read anyway!

I'd rather get more units into the list - Giant is sexy times always, but I'd want to look at:

More Squig Herds

This list already contains every Squig I own, another herd would be awesome, but I can't afford it at the current finecast prices, and even if I could I doubt it'd be here by Tuesday.

If I'm dropping the scroll I think I may as well drop the L1, he certainly isn't there for his magic level at that point, maybe a bigboss with the ring and a cheap magic weapon would seve me better (shrieking blade would make him immune to fear which might be useful).

Squig Hoppers can be split into 2 units

I could, but I've used small units of Squig hoppers before and they generally evaporate before they do any damage, I was kind of hoping the ability to lose a few and still hit back with a full row of squigs might make this unit a little more successful.

CHEAP magic weapons for characters for the etheral threat
So throw in a few more cheap Bigbosses into the blocks? The trouble is I'm really struggling for points there, and if poss I really don't want to lose my L4

Also move 1 fanatic from each unit so the 3rd unit has some - then all THREE units boasting 2 fanatics each...

BOSSE!
I'm somewhat nervous about committing fanatics to my archer unit because of it's size it has a tendency to run away a lot, and in their role as a ranged wizard bunker they tend not to like getting within 8" of the enemy if at all possible.

Jind_Singh
25-04-2015, 18:54
Spiney - I run 15 Squigs and 10 herders - and that unit does what it needs.

Consider the same unit size.

Take the extra 5 squigs that you have and put some herders in that unit.

Place the Gobbos in the front rank, squigs in rear, and bounce them towards the enemy - they lose combat but extra wounds won't carry to the squigs (different stat line) - and they will then fail ld test AND EXPLODE!!

Yummy!

Grupax
26-04-2015, 10:18
I'd split the hoppers in 2 units of 5, they are the best at catching fleeing units,
any sane person in the vincinity won't even consider a voluntary flee from any of your charges when these guy's are around :D

splitting them in 2 doubles their effectiveness

hoppers should only ever be in combat with dwarves and low I/ws units, and sometimes warmachines + the occasional flank. other then that only use them in the above situation for catching fleeing units :D

In Dark Trees
26-04-2015, 16:05
This looks like a lot of fun. I'm impressed by your audacity: willingly selecting a Night Goblin Warboss to lead an army takes a certain kind of maniac.

I agree with the previous posters who have suggested that you incorporate Stone Trolls into this list. They are perfectly fluffy and quite durable.

I would also advise you to remove the spears from your large Night Goblin unit. I like my goblins armed with hand weapons and shields or short bows.

Have fun--and don't expect too much from your pint-sized fungus-addled miscreants.

Spiney Norman
26-04-2015, 20:03
This looks like a lot of fun. I'm impressed by your audacity: willingly selecting a Night Goblin Warboss to lead an army takes a certain kind of maniac.

I agree with the previous posters who have suggested that you incorporate Stone Trolls into this list. They are perfectly fluffy and quite durable.

I would also advise you to remove the spears from your large Night Goblin unit. I like my goblins armed with hand weapons and shields or short bows.

Have fun--and don't expect too much from your pint-sized fungus-addled miscreants.

I never expect too much from them, and for the record the scenario requires me to lead with a night goblin warboss armed with a great weapon, my opponents army must be led by Neferata, I'm not sure that is entirely fair ;)

I don't have any stone trolls, I did briefly consider swapping out the Squig gobba for my river troll trio, but I'd rather keep the Squig I think.

Spiney Norman
28-04-2015, 23:22
So, the game went very well

The scenario object pice for the undead player was for Neferata to escape off of my board edge, I had to kill Neferata.

It was a strange game in many ways, most of my force spent the entire game guarding my board edge, I deployed the Squig gobba as far forward as I could and basically just spat squigs all game, I kept the big blocks of warriors and Squig herd back in case Neferata tried flying over the top of me to get away.

In the end I managed to knock a few wounds off Neferata with the gobba (which fires a terrific amount of shots when it actually works), but what really did her in was the fanatics. The relief force arrives on T3 and launched three of them straight through her, leaving her on only 2 wounds remaining, then she had little choice but to make a run for it, and the units guarding the board edge did the rest.

Slightly bizarre highlights were my NG great shaman IFing a high level curse of da bad moon, hoovering up a bunch of skellies and then getting sucked into the warp for his troubles and a wild chimera turning up (part of the scenario special rules) and immediately flanking a horde of skeleton warriors.

It was a pretty wacky game, but fanatics won the day in the end.

Jind_Singh
29-04-2015, 04:25
Oh man good times!

Really cool write up - thanks S.Norm!

I also played this scenario when the book came out - and recreated it to fault almost to the story! I've played a lot of the scenarios as I have Empire, Greenskins, and Chaos - and YET to see a game result go against the story results!

Aaron85
15-05-2015, 03:28
Sounds like a really fun game! Glad it went well!