PDA

View Full Version : Empire vs Brets..

Hexx
02-07-2006, 02:57
Hi All

Assuming the finances work out I'm planning on getting into WHFB, I play 40k right now, but have been looking at FB for a while, and with the new edition coming up figured now would be a good time to try it out.

Having had a brief look at all the armies available I'm currently trying to decide between themed Bretonians or Empire. All I want (to start off with) is basically Knights + footsoldiers + some non gunpowder missle troops.
I have no real interest in artillery or flying griffons. I do understand I'll need a
*little* magic to avoid getting smacked down though.

So-given the army I'm looking to play is there any real diffference between fielding a Bretonian army or an Empire Army consisting of one of the Knightly orders + Archers + troops?

I understand the Brets have something called the lance formation, and that it basically gives them a big attack to try and break an enemy unit,but if it fails they're in trouble- are Empire knights the same or can they melee?
(Or am I completely misunderstanding the lance formation?)

Apologies if this is covered, I've seen some new player advice for both armies, but they tend to be "get cannon" or "get flying griffons", something I'm trying to avoid. (at least until I decide I need them to win :D )

Thanks for any advice!

Splagbot
02-07-2006, 03:06
The lance formation is Bret specific, it makes their Knights rock hard on the charge, they can have Men at Arms who are foot troops, quite cheap, but fairly poor, as for missile troops all they can have is various assortments of archers and of course the Trebuchet.

Creep
02-07-2006, 03:21
Bretonnians are great, I love them. I also contemplated the same question as you when I got into Fantasy. I went with the Brets because they are much less generic, have a much cooler backround, and the whole "medieval" feeling is awesome.

The way I run my army is simple. Three squads of archers lined two deep, a squad of men at arms and a squad of grail reliquae all like up like so:
-------GGG--------MMM-------
AAAAA GGG AAAAA MMM AAAAA

I then place two units of Knights of the Realm behind the archers, and a unit of questing knights in the center. It's a fairly simple tactic, doesn't work the greatest of course, but its awesome to play :). Once the enemy gets near, reform the archers, and charge the knights out. Use the men at arms and reliquae to charge out and hold units so the knights can finish off whoever they attacked and then next turn get a flank charge on the units the MaA and the GR are locked in combat with.

Again, it's not the greatest tactic (since you need to break your opponent on the charge with Brets, multiple smaller units of knights might better) but it's certainly fun to play with.

Johnny Bravo
02-07-2006, 04:24
Orcs, sez I!! ;)

Buuut, since you're set on one of da 'oomie armies, I'd go for the Empire. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Empire is supposedly the next book to be redone after O&G for 7th edition. So, if you're looking to get going right away, go with the Brettonians. If you're willing to be patient, put away a couple more bucks, go with Empire.

Me, if I ever do anything other than Orcs, it'll be the Empire.

Hexx
02-07-2006, 05:05
Orcs, sez I!! ;)

I've got about 3K pts of foot-sloggin Goffs for 40K, if I never need to crack open another jar of green paint ,well I'm OK with that .. :p

Thanks for the quick answers guys, I think I'm leaning towards Brets as (from what I can tell) it will be easier to avoid the things I don't want than to keep artillery out of an Empire army.

alextroy
02-07-2006, 07:36
Given what you are looking for, you can easily make either an Empire or Bretonnian army. The big differences you will be looking at (under the current Empire armybook) are:

1) Bretonnians have a wider variety of knights, who move faster then the better armored Empire Knights. Their knights also have the excellent Lance formation, which gives them one of the best unit charges in the game.

2) Empire has superior and a wider variety of infantry and (both gunpower and non-gunpowder) missile troops, that include the excellent Detachment rule. The Detachment rule adds greatly to the tactical flexibility of Empire infantry and missile troops.

So the real question is, are you looking for:

A) Knights backed-up by infantry and missile troops
or
B) Infantry and missile troops backed up by Knights

If A, go Bretionnan, if B go Empire.

Viskrit
02-07-2006, 11:34
I've got about 3K pts of foot-sloggin Goffs for 40K, if I never need to crack open another jar of green paint ,well I'm OK with that .. :p

Thanks for the quick answers guys, I think I'm leaning towards Brets as (from what I can tell) it will be easier to avoid the things I don't want than to keep artillery out of an Empire army.
Seems like a good decision. Artillery is a heavily integrated aspect of the Empire army, so in that case I think you want Bretonnians.