PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer: GROM

KevinC
23-04-2015, 12:30
Warhammer: Grom is an unofficial Orcs & Goblins – The End Times – expansion for WFB. Inside you will find:

• The destiny of Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountain and his role in the fall of Ulthuan.
• Six new variant army lists for the Orcs & Goblins, detailing different Waaagh! invasions from across the Warhammer world!
• Background and rules for new units and special characters including Grom the Paunch – Incarnate of Mork and Bane of Elves, Morhog Da Mighty, and Leader-Eater – Master of Gnoblar Country.

About the Creators
Written by Kevin Coleman. Kevin has been collecting Goblins since the late ‘80s and has written for the Citadel Journal and White Dwarf magazine. A few years ago, Kevin wrote the Dwarfs of Chaos Indy GT army book, an unofficial supplement accepted into various tournaments and Warhammer games across the world.

Illustrated by Randy Elliott. Randy has been an avid Warhammer Orcs and Goblins player since 3rd edition. He also happens to have spent a number of years working in comics and painting fantasy images for CCGs.

Clicking on the link below will take to Randy’s website where you can download the free Warhammer: Grom.

http://www.randyelliottart.com/Commissions

StygianBeach
23-04-2015, 16:01
Very nice to look at.

I am not sure if I will get around to reading it all though, I have always had a soft spot for lil'ol Grom so it is nice to see him get a little bit of attention.

Jator
23-04-2015, 16:19
What a cool iniciative! Goblins are great, and this seems like a fun read. Downloaded.

forseer of fates
23-04-2015, 16:32
Didn't grom die ages ago way b4 the end times.

sixfthoneybadger
23-04-2015, 18:35
No he just regenerates.

snyggejygge
23-04-2015, 18:48
downloaded, will check it through as soon as I have time.

Urgat
23-04-2015, 21:58
Didn't grom die ages ago way b4 the end times.

In all the fluff available to him, his regeneration is totally wasted, as he never suffers even a flesh wound. Last seem walking away from Tor Yvresse shrugging. Fate after that: unknown.

GrandmasterWang
24-04-2015, 16:02
Haha. I loved your work back in the day with Chaos Dwarfs and just a week ago I found my new in box un painted Grom the Paunch I had lost for 15 years!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

smokemeakipper
24-04-2015, 20:41
really nice. liked it a lot, if only games workshop could learn from this and produce nice themed army lists. Grom has always been my favourite greenskin character too

Jind_Singh
24-04-2015, 21:57
Downloaded - truly a labor of love - well played

Vulgarsty
24-04-2015, 23:32
really nice. liked it a lot, if only games workshop could learn from this and produce nice themed army lists. Grom has always been my favourite greenskin character too

Agreed but if Tescos are too dim to absorb fresh thinking (or even common sense) then the outlook for GW is managed decline.

infamousme
25-04-2015, 18:12
God I love that cover art, very reminiscent of older ong art work.

KevinC
30-04-2015, 03:10
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

FluffyGoat
01-06-2015, 23:51
Loving this!

Jind_Singh
02-06-2015, 02:12
Some quick thoughts...

AND NOTE - I'm not picking holes, I really like the document and the effort that it took to compile. I'm just offering my views on the subject matter as I see it, and I'm not any kind of authority so please take it for what it is, just some feedback!

Jester, for it's points, really doesn't need a 3+ ward save to show its hard to hit. It should simply be -1 to hit in combat in addtion to other modifiers - a 4+ ward save is 45pts across the board, this guy rocks a 3+ for 10pts less with some excellent rules! I know it's not a f/t ward save per say as it's only in the CC phase but still quite decent considering. Granted he can't take part in challenges and is restricted to 1 per unit - but could still be used abusivly by the wrong minded player

Chaos Goblins - great concept, really OP for their points values! DIRT CHEAP considering they get 2 rolls on the table - fair enough they lose D3 models but who cares about that really. I'd consider:

Keeping their pts and 2 upgrades as is - but increase damage to D3 + 3, D6 + 1, or something - as for just 4pts base (perhaps 5pts all in with equipment) I'll happily field a unit of 50-100 of these buggers and so say all of us! OR keep the rules as is but only ONE roll on the chart - it's madness to have two rolls for the small points cost

Fire Koblads - again for their super low cost that shooting attack is INSANE! It's 10", that's the killer - considering it's spit it should be a max of 6-8", 6" ideally, as 10" is just a bit too decent for str 4, flamming, with quick to fire meaning no mods to shoot for movement, just long range - either bump their pts up OR reduce the range I think

Hill & forest - lovely! Really fluffy and fun for their pts values, especially the bully boy Hill Gobbos! I think it's cute they gain the CHOPPA rules and have access to great weapons - finally a hammer unit that's core!

Dust Gobbos -

Again really cute but actually a point too expesnive! They needed to be just 3pts base with 0.5pt option for a sheild, yeah it's cute they have blowpipes and all - but with subpar stats, crumble, etc, they just are not that good - they will get one round of shooting off before becoming stuck in combat - So really no real battle field purpose as they shoot once and crumble in combat there after - without the support real undead get from undead units/buffs/magic

Either consider giving them just short bows (single shot, s3, 18" range) and cost them at 4pts (because then that's pretty good with always hitting on 5's) but i love the blow pipe imagery - which is just fine at an even 3pts a model - with half point shields

Scrap shooter - interesting concept, and for it's higher chances for exploding not a bad points cost. Although it's fairly heavily punished by the misfire rule I'd have loved to have seen:

1) Choose target
2) Choose weapon mode (organ gun or mortar)
3) Roll a D6, on a 1 the switch jams and the machine fires with the other weapon system! e.g you picked organ gun, picked a target, and now must compete the shot with the morter!

As for the misfire...

I'd almost be tempeted to say that you roll on the black powder chart as normal - but for every additional misfire you roll and extra D6 and take the lowest result.
Between that and the odd chance that you shoot the wrong option it's a great and fun weapon - I really like it

Zoom slickas

Again pretty fun (ANd for some reason i own a box of these models but don't know why, how I got them!) - nice stats and all - but I think for me I'd look at...

Unbreakbale change to stubborn
Impact hits to straight up D6, and +1 for each additonal model in the unit (so 3 roll 3D6 + 3)
Amend the wipeout rules so when you roll trips just make it a staight up random move and free to roam again next turn - unless it rolls trip 1's or trip 6's (to show it falling apart under slow speed or breaking apart at high speed). ALSO change it so if any model enters any terrian feature it's dead - like fanatics do

Idol of Grom

Great concept but I feel too many downsides for it to be worth the effort and considering how epic the model is, the concept is, I felt it could do with some juicing!

It can't move - so it's only good for a limited portion of the battlefield. The effects are also stacked towards to the negatives..

1 = bad result
6 = bad result - yes they get ASF and re-roll to hit and wound - but the -1 to hit is harsh considering we're facing Elven armies most likely - who have WS5 for their special troops (Lions, Princes, Swordmasters, Phoneix guard) so even with re-rolls we're hitting on 6's! For shooting we're most likely hitting on 6;'s too as with just 18" range most of the time it's long range.

I'd consider making this thing as worthy as it should be...

raise the cost to 120pts
All units within 8" gain immune to psych and stubborn as they stand in the shadow of their Gods
Shamans get +1 to channel within 6" of the idol and gain a bonus spell (make it something with a 24" casting range, 3+ to cast, some cool little buff for one unit)

Bound spell table

1 - same as yours
2-3 same as yours
4-5 - same as yours
6 - GROMS BELLY FLOP! Place a small template anywhere on the board and scatter dice/misfire - all models underneath suffer a str (6)3 hit with (D3 wounds)1 wound to repsent a God like belly flop into the enemy lines! After compelting the results roll a D6, on a 4+ you go again! If you roll a misfire the enemy places the template and scatters, re-rolling any new misfire results and the spell then ends after working out the damage

Grom

REALLY cool concept and great rules/points values. My only feedback..

Mork Save Us! MR5 = waaaaay to high! MR3 is just fine. Since the Goblin player casts it in his turn any hex on that unit is essentially rendered usless as it's gone next turn anway. Far cleaner to say...

Removes any hexes/spells in play on that unit, and makes them immune to the effects of spells until the following OnG turn - so e.g turn 1 OnG cast the spell on a unit. Next turn the Elves cast a hex on the unit - it's immune to it's effects - HOWEVER the following turn the spell wears off and the hex now comes into effect - the OnG will need to cast the same spell again on the unit or suffer the results as per normal.

Personally I'd have loved to have seen Gniblets stats merged into the model so he was still with his trusty Warlord Grom Da Paunch and increase the models points cost slightly to compensate. This also gives the army a hefty 18" bubble for both leadership and BSB re-roll but at the same time if he dies that's a huge blow for the army - but this is how it should be!

KevinC
19-06-2015, 15:25
Some quick thoughts...

AND NOTE - I'm not picking holes, I really like the document and the effort that it took to compile. I'm just offering my views on the subject matter as I see it, and I'm not any kind of authority so please take it for what it is, just some feedback!

------------No prob, I greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Jester, for it's points, really doesn't need a 3+ ward save to show its hard to hit. It should simply be -1 to hit in combat in addtion to other modifiers - a 4+ ward save is 45pts across the board, this guy rocks a 3+ for 10pts less with some excellent rules! I know it's not a f/t ward save per say as it's only in the CC phase but still quite decent considering. Granted he can't take part in challenges and is restricted to 1 per unit - but could still be used abusivly by the wrong minded player

-----------45 pts for a 4+ save is a generic cost that can go on any character. Obviously, a 4+ ward save is much better on a Chaos Lord than a single Wound Goblin. The way I designed the Jester was actually based on equipment rather than characters. Night Goblins get nets for 45 pts per unit. As equipment, the nets cannot be destroyed. The Goblin Jester works very similar to Night Goblin nets, but since the Jester is a model, he can be killed. The ward save on the Jester is there so he can potentially hang around for a bit without getting slain too quickly. The Jester is cheaper than nets because the Jester can be removed, while nets cannot.

Chaos Goblins - great concept, really OP for their points values! DIRT CHEAP considering they get 2 rolls on the table - fair enough they lose D3 models but who cares about that really. I'd consider:

Keeping their pts and 2 upgrades as is - but increase damage to D3 + 3, D6 + 1, or something - as for just 4pts base (perhaps 5pts all in with equipment) I'll happily field a unit of 50-100 of these buggers and so say all of us! OR keep the rules as is but only ONE roll on the chart - it's madness to have two rolls for the small points cost

-----------I think you are simply imagining them with rolling the best results, they are a gamble though, you can't rely of them getting certain results like Ethereal. A 100-model unit will be 400 pts without command or additional equipment. A 50-model unit is 200 pts without command or equipment. And besides Ethereal and Regen (5+) the additional rules are neat and helpful but nothing crazy. You could roll Stupidity and Frenzy for example. Also the D3 models can be a major factor. When Goblins get into combat, a lot of them die. Losing an additional D3 models each turn might be critical, you could lose that extra rank making them no longer steadfast, etc. I don't see them as over the top – they are still only Gobbos at the end of the day!

Fire Koblads - again for their super low cost that shooting attack is INSANE! It's 10", that's the killer - considering it's spit it should be a max of 6-8", 6" ideally, as 10" is just a bit too decent for str 4, flamming, with quick to fire meaning no mods to shoot for movement, just long range - either bump their pts up OR reduce the range I think

----------They are pretty much Goblins with come with a built in, 10" range attack for +1 point (they don't come with shields or light armor like there Gobbo counterparts). It's fair in my eyes, perhaps they could be 4 pts though. If you use them in your games and they are really too good, please let me know.

Hill & forest - lovely! Really fluffy and fun for their pts values, especially the bully boy Hill Gobbos! I think it's cute they gain the CHOPPA rules and have access to great weapons - finally a hammer unit that's core!

----------Thanks, I'm really happy with these Gobbos too! :)

Dust Gobbos -

Again really cute but actually a point too expesnive! They needed to be just 3pts base with 0.5pt option for a sheild, yeah it's cute they have blowpipes and all - but with subpar stats, crumble, etc, they just are not that good - they will get one round of shooting off before becoming stuck in combat - So really no real battle field purpose as they shoot once and crumble in combat there after - without the support real undead get from undead units/buffs/magic

Either consider giving them just short bows (single shot, s3, 18" range) and cost them at 4pts (because then that's pretty good with always hitting on 5's) but i love the blow pipe imagery - which is just fine at an even 3pts a model - with half point shields

------------I know Unstable can be annoying, but these guys are undead and can fire twice each turn always hitting on a 5+, combined with a Dust Goblin Shaman, they could be pretty nasty (for Goblins, anyway!). Besides why are you paying for them? You should be raising units of them with Ryze. :)

Scrap shooter - interesting concept, and for it's higher chances for exploding not a bad points cost. Although it's fairly heavily punished by the misfire rule I'd have loved to have seen:

1) Choose target
2) Choose weapon mode (organ gun or mortar)
3) Roll a D6, on a 1 the switch jams and the machine fires with the other weapon system! e.g you picked organ gun, picked a target, and now must compete the shot with the morter!

As for the misfire...

I'd almost be tempeted to say that you roll on the black powder chart as normal - but for every additional misfire you roll and extra D6 and take the lowest result.
Between that and the odd chance that you shoot the wrong option it's a great and fun weapon - I really like it

------------Cool concepts! Maybe I'll use these if I ever update Warhammer: GROM for a new addition of Warhammer.

Zoom slickas

Again pretty fun (ANd for some reason i own a box of these models but don't know why, how I got them!) - nice stats and all - but I think for me I'd look at...

Unbreakbale change to stubborn
Impact hits to straight up D6, and +1 for each additonal model in the unit (so 3 roll 3D6 + 3)
Amend the wipeout rules so when you roll trips just make it a staight up random move and free to roam again next turn - unless it rolls trip 1's or trip 6's (to show it falling apart under slow speed or breaking apart at high speed). ALSO change it so if any model enters any terrian feature it's dead - like fanatics do

--------------Those rules could certainly work too!

Idol of Grom

Great concept but I feel too many downsides for it to be worth the effort and considering how epic the model is, the concept is, I felt it could do with some juicing!

It can't move - so it's only good for a limited portion of the battlefield. The effects are also stacked towards to the negatives..

1 = bad result
6 = bad result - yes they get ASF and re-roll to hit and wound - but the -1 to hit is harsh considering we're facing Elven armies most likely - who have WS5 for their special troops (Lions, Princes, Swordmasters, Phoneix guard) so even with re-rolls we're hitting on 6's! For shooting we're most likely hitting on 6;'s too as with just 18" range most of the time it's long range.

I'd consider making this thing as worthy as it should be...

raise the cost to 120pts
All units within 8" gain immune to psych and stubborn as they stand in the shadow of their Gods
Shamans get +1 to channel within 6" of the idol and gain a bonus spell (make it something with a 24" casting range, 3+ to cast, some cool little buff for one unit)

Bound spell table

1 - same as yours
2-3 same as yours
4-5 - same as yours
6 - GROMS BELLY FLOP! Place a small template anywhere on the board and scatter dice/misfire - all models underneath suffer a str (6)3 hit with (D3 wounds)1 wound to repsent a God like belly flop into the enemy lines! After compelting the results roll a D6, on a 4+ you go again! If you roll a misfire the enemy places the template and scatters, re-rolling any new misfire results and the spell then ends after working out the damage

----------------You have some neat ideas here for sure! But, the Idol of Grom is still worth it in my eyes. Think of it this way: for 60 pts your army gets two additional channels each magic phase and a free spell that may be cast from a point in you deployment zone that you choose. The spell is not the greatest spell, but it can certainly prove useful. imagine you cast the spell on a unit of Goblins that is about to break in the next round of combat and they gain Stubborn. The spell is a random thing, if you cast it on the right unit at the right time and roll the right result it could be INSANE, just the same you might damage your unit. I find the Idol to be a very fun and random element – fitting for an O&G army.

Grom

REALLY cool concept and great rules/points values. My only feedback..

Mork Save Us! MR5 = waaaaay to high! MR3 is just fine. Since the Goblin player casts it in his turn any hex on that unit is essentially rendered usless as it's gone next turn anway. Far cleaner to say...

Removes any hexes/spells in play on that unit, and makes them immune to the effects of spells until the following OnG turn - so e.g turn 1 OnG cast the spell on a unit. Next turn the Elves cast a hex on the unit - it's immune to it's effects - HOWEVER the following turn the spell wears off and the hex now comes into effect - the OnG will need to cast the same spell again on the unit or suffer the results as per normal.

Personally I'd have loved to have seen Gniblets stats merged into the model so he was still with his trusty Warlord Grom Da Paunch and increase the models points cost slightly to compensate. This also gives the army a hefty 18" bubble for both leadership and BSB re-roll but at the same time if he dies that's a huge blow for the army - but this is how it should be!

--------------Back in 4th edition, Mork Save Uz! would render a unit completely immune to all magic. I wanted to bring that type of spell back, hence the MR5 and such. One use for the spell is, if one of your units has some annoying Hex spell on them, you can cast Mork Save Uz! so that they become immune to the Hex. This could be very useful against spells that make them less effective in combat (and they are in combat) or prevent them from moving properly, etc.

I thought about putting Niblet on the Wyvern with Grom, but decided to have him separate.

Thanks a lot for all the comments! If you play any games with units from Warhammer: GROM, I'd love to hear the results of their performance.