PDA

View Full Version : Combat reform can slide unit?

HammerSim
27-04-2015, 13:49
Just wanted to ask about combat reforms. As long as I'm aware they are essentially the same thing as a standard reform but can be done in combat.
So the centre of the unit does not change but you can turn to face a different direction provided you are not engaged in more than one side of the unit.

This situation happened on the weekend and I wouldn't mind some feedback.
I charged some Chaos Knights with my grave guard. Killed all but the unit champion.
In my opponent's following turn he charges 3 skull crushers in to the same combat.
But because he had a Knight left, it mean that only 1 skull crusher can be in combat.

I survive the charge and kill his remaining knight in the following turn.
Then I get charged in the flank by a chariot, and his skull crushers are still engaged in combat.
My question is. After I killed the Chaos knight, could my opponent have combat reformed to bring the other 3 skull crushers in to combat?
I looked over the rule book and it doesn't mention anything about sliding a unit over.
It does say that on the turn you charge you maxmise unit contact, but the skull crushers didn't charge this turn.

What is the correct way to play this?

theunwantedbeing
27-04-2015, 14:04
The Errata (which you should really be well aware of by this point but find it yourself because I can't be bothered right now) allows the centre to change, otherwise you'de not be allowed to change formation as it would alter the centre of the unit.

So yes, you can use it to slide.
And yes the skullcrushers can slide to bring the remaining models into base contact assuming they pass any required tests to combat reform.

No this is different to the alignment wheel you get when charging and no, you can't slide when aligning on the charge.

If you're not playing using the Errata then no, you can't slide.

auStun
27-04-2015, 14:15
I was pretty sure you ALWAYS maximized base contact. Meaning you would slide them to make sure you get the most out of the phase.

SanDiegoSurrealist
27-04-2015, 17:50
Yes, he could choose to reform to bring more of the Skull Crusher unit into combat, but NO he is no required to do so.

The Undead player could choose to reform to bring more Grave Guard into contact with the Skull Crushers as well, so long as he/she does not remove any models that are in base contact with an enemy model.
In this case the Undead Player could have combat reformed at end of combat before the turn where the chariot charged into flank.

SanDiegoSurrealist
27-04-2015, 18:02
I was pretty sure you ALWAYS maximized base contact. Meaning you would slide them to make sure you get the most out of the phase.

That is a common misconception,rules only state that you have to bring as many models as possible into contact at the end of a charge (pg 20), does not say anything about on ongoing combat.

Mr_Rose
27-04-2015, 18:46
That is a common misconception,rules only state that you have to bring as many models as possible into contact at the end of a charge (pg 20), does not say anything about on ongoing combat.

They do say you're not allowed to move models out of combat though, so your options are stasis or increase.