PDA

View Full Version : Charmed shield

Portz
28-04-2015, 18:26
Right guys after the first hit is successfully saved using the charmed shield it then turns into a normal shield do I get a parry save with it and also would I get a parry save with the enchanted shield

theunwantedbeing
28-04-2015, 18:35
No, it's still a magic shield.
No, it's a magic shield.

Says so in the rules.

Evil Hypnotist
28-04-2015, 18:45
You get the +1 armour save but, as TUB says, as a magic shield you can't parry with it

Vulgarsty
28-04-2015, 22:07
You get the +1 armour save but, as TUB says, as a magic shield you can't parry with it

True, but this kind of inconsistency really irritates me - if it (or the reverse - eh magic 1h weapon and mundane shield) confers an advantage then price it in, otherwise, it just looks ill-considered, illogical, is MORE complicated (as an exception to the rule) and just downright...ugly

maybe I am a litlle OCD about this, but I find getting the details wrong just disproportionately annoying - like poisoned attacks and killing blow, one should not preclude the other, just because you are poisoned doesnt mean the mighty blow wont also crump your armour.

Anyone know how that little anomaly crept in? has it always existed since parry was introduced and just been lazily copied and pasted over?

Ramius4
29-04-2015, 00:17
I think you guys have it backwards. IIRC, you can parry if you have a mudane hand weapon + shield (including magic shields). The key is having a non-magic hand weapon. The shield is irrelevant.

Anyways, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone know how that little anomaly crept in? has it always existed since parry was introduced and just been lazily copied and pasted over?

The parry rule didn't exist before 8th ed. There was a similar rule that gave you +1 to your armor save during 6th and 7th ed though.

Malagor
29-04-2015, 00:33
I think you guys have it backwards. IIRC, you can parry if you have a mudane hand weapon + shield (including magic shields). The key is having a non-magic hand weapon. The shield is irrelevant.

Anyways, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

No, the BRB states clearly that you don't get a parry save with a magic shield no matter what the weapon.

forseer of fates
29-04-2015, 00:58
Indeed, why I never bother with the enchanted shield that much.

Malagor
29-04-2015, 01:01
enchanted shield is great tho.
Cheap as hell and great on combat lords(who will have a 4+ ward save anyway).

forseer of fates
29-04-2015, 01:03
Indeed, why I never bother with the enchanted shield that much.

Ramius4
29-04-2015, 01:07
No, the BRB states clearly that you don't get a parry save with a magic shield no matter what the weapon.

Ah ok. For some reason I was sure you could with a magic shield, but not a magic weapon. My bad.