PDA

View Full Version : Necrons

29-04-2015, 14:38
I was never really interested in Necrons, and in their Terminator (the movie)-inspired looks. So my knowledge is pretty limited. What are good current background sources? Any big differences between editions? Any sticking points about the current background?
From what I have gleaned, the latest fluff mentions that some Necron nobles retained enough independence to actually turn the C'tan into "shards"? A brief explanation of how this happened and what these shards are would be appreciated. Where can I find more about this?
Thanks

Anima
29-04-2015, 15:11
The fifth edition Codex Necrons would be your best bet for Necron fluff, seventh edition is generally the same but a bit lighter on fluff from what I remember.
Necron nobility retained their minds, and turned on the C'tan after they had finished off the Old Ones. The C'tan were shattered using powerful weapons that channeled the energy of the universe and then their shards were imprisoned, kept as slaves by the Necrons. The shards are still very powerful, and so the Necrons use them as weapons.

Lord Damocles
29-04-2015, 15:13
I was never really interested in Necrons, and in their Terminator (the movie)-inspired looks. So my knowledge is pretty limited. What are good current background sources?
For a relatively recent overview of Necron background, the 5th edition Codex: Necrons is decent enough (although see below). The 7th edition version is rubbish.
Imperial Armour Vol.12: Fall of Orpheus, and Deathwatch: The Outer Reach are also good, and closer to the 3rd edition 'feel' of the Necrons.

For more in-universe mysterious background, which also touches more on subjects beyond Necrons themselves, 3rd edition is where it's at - the 3rd edition Codex: Necrons, Xenology, and 'Translations of Pertinent Eldar Mythic Cycles' in White Dwarf 273 (UK) (still available underthe title 'Dawn of the C'tan' here: http://web.archive.org/web/20080103133732/http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/necrons/extras/dawnofctan/default.htm) being stand-out examples.

Any big differences between editions? Any sticking points about the current background?
Often a line will be drawn between pre- and post- 5th edition background.

Relatively little of the pre-5th material doesn't/can't work alongside the post-5th - but there was a change in 'tone' of the background, with Necron personalities getting more focus, the C'tan getting less attention, and mysterious/Lovecraftian presentations recieveing less focus overall.
Some people prefered the pre-5th, some prefer the post-5th, and some (me) see it as a false distinction.

This has been discussed at length elsewhere, so I'll link to some previous threads if you fancy a bit (lot!) of reading.

EDIT:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?404637-Do-you-prefer-quot-Old-quot-or-quot-New-quot-Crons
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?373474-Newcrons-don-t-use-their-tech-very-well-or-GW-are-braindead
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?403761-Necron-Pariahs

From what I have gleaned, the latest fluff mentions that some Necron nobles retained enough independence to actually turn the C'tan into "shards"? A brief explanation of how this happened and what these shards are would be appreciated. Where can I find more about this?
Thanks
Essentially, at the conclusion of the War in Heaven when the Necrons/C'tan had defeated the Old Ones, the Necron leader, Szarekh, turned on the C'ta,n seeking retribution for the C'tan tricking the Necrontyr out of their souls during biotransference (which turned them into the Necrons).

Using handwavian weaponry, the Necrons shattered each of the remaining C'tan into numerous shards - basically smaller portions of the C'tan - and enslaved the majority of them.

Shards are able to escape from Necron service, and consume one another, growing more powerful in the process (which is what Transcendant C'tan are).

29-04-2015, 19:18
Thank you for the answers. I am aware of the controversy regarding the 7th ed. codex, that's what sparked my recent curiosity. Previously, I had read only the odd White Dwarf article, and Black Library stories that featured Necrons. Will check all the recommendations out. I did read the archived piece Lord Damocles posted, and as he said, it is very nicely done. The implication (in Eldar legend) that the Fall had its seed during the war between the Eldar and the Necrons is very interesting, and shows that someone was paying attention to the big picture. The fact that this fluff is a "report" to the Inquisition based on a "study" (not by the report author) of xenos "legends", makes it easy for GW to subsequently change the lore, if they want to. I assume this is intentional.
Will try to get to the rest as advised.

Karhedron
29-04-2015, 20:14
That Eldar/Necron fluff came from the height of GW's "unreliable narrator" phase. They seem to have backed up a bit on that recently and gone to more of a mix of 1st person POV and omniscient storyteller fluff.