PDA

View Full Version : A better way to theme armies than battlescrolls?

Vulgarsty
30-04-2015, 22:24
Battlescrolls seem like an unbalanced way to theme armies largely driven by selling minis

Surely a better way may be a small, thematic army wide bonus that rewards a themed army for taking a hit my limiting its options? eg

Mono Wood Elves (ie only elves no trees) - "Marksmans prowess" re-reoll 1s to shoot
Mono trees (ie no elves) - 6+ ward increased to 5+

any thoughts? any ideas for other armies?

Khaines Wrath
01-05-2015, 10:48
I do like the idea of rewarding people for taking themed armies, I love themed armies.

The only trouble is that this tends to further unbalance the armies with some bonuses being superior or some weaknesses being negligible. It seems to happen a lot with 40k armies, take Space Marines,their tactics special rules for each chapter range from amazingly beneficial to "meh".

Mutter
04-05-2015, 12:35
Just steal the 'tiered forces' idea from Warmahordes - it's elegant, encourages diversity and gives boosts to certain type of armies.
Done.

Vulgarsty
05-05-2015, 13:59
Just steal the 'tiered forces' idea from Warmahordes - it's elegant, encourages diversity and gives boosts to certain type of armies.
Done.

Thanks, I will, but in the meantime I had given some thought to a simple (hopefully not OP bonus) that is both in character and provides a small reward for playing thematically (which is otherwise all downside). I have tried not to mess with points as that can vex Army Builder

Mono WE (no trees)- "Marksman's Prowess" (rereoll 1s to shoot)
Mono trees (no elves) - 6+ ward increased to 5+

Mono - unmarked (ie no-one in the army is marked)- re-roll panic, fear, terror, stupidity
Mono nurgle (ie all those that can be marked are marked and that is exclusively nurgle)- -1 to shoot at
Mono slaanesh - armour piercing
Mono khorne - +2 to dispel, frenzy (doc) can regain frenzy (mortals)
Mono tzeench - re-roll all wards of 1

Armies with khorne AND slaanesh or nurgle AND tzeench - every model in the army with each mark has ld penalty of -1

Empire - wizards and witch hunter - -1 to all casting rolls whilst witch hunter is alive, but witchunter gets re-rolls against all enemy magic users

Sigmarites with a witch hunter and no wizards = +1 to priest casting rolls

Exclusively mounted brettonian purely knightly force with no commoners get a ward save of 5+ against all shooting attacks regardless of strength

Dark elves - non-khainite armies may take "Tower garrisons" ie half darkshards/half spears all priced as spearmen (so they are a spearmen regt in army builder for example). Casualties all come from spears first (as spearmen pick the xbows of fallen darkshards)

Clan skyre armies (ie comprised of neutral units plus Clan Skyre Units, no HPA can Moulder filth for example) may re-roll misfire table results and ignore jezzail to shoot rolls of one.

Clan moulder armies have regen 6+

Clan pestilens armies all have immunity to poison

Pure night goblin armies may re-roll all squig random movements

Savage orc/forest goblin armies - all models share savage orc wards and frenzy, all savage orcs share forest goblin's poison.

Pure orc armies - any number of units can upgrade to big'uns

All Skink armies (ie no lizardmen or slaan and all monsters not ridden/handled by skinks - infantry can choose to ambush.

Any thoughts on these simple compings? any other thematic bonus/penalty ideas (easier to get people to buy into bonuses I guess but mixing chaos powers that hate each other with no disadvantage irritates a bit.

Skywave
05-05-2015, 19:53
The Savage Orcs + Forest goblin is a bit overdone. Savage with poison (it's not like Savages need buffing), everything else with a 6+ ward and frenzy (arachnarok gain 6+ ward, double the crew attacks, etc). If you want to keep it like that, I'd add that animosity fail on a 1 or 2 for such a theme.

Vulgarsty
05-05-2015, 22:12
The Savage Orcs + Forest goblin is a bit overdone. Savage with poison (it's not like Savages need buffing), everything else with a 6+ ward and frenzy (arachnarok gain 6+ ward, double the crew attacks, etc). If you want to keep it like that, I'd add that animosity fail on a 1 or 2 for such a theme.

yeah , maybe that is a bit OTT, perhaps the ward throughout and leave it at that