PDA

View Full Version : Gaming at Workshop?

RampagingRavener
02-07-2006, 16:04
I've never played up at Games Workshop before, mostly due to unpainted/un WYSIWYG armies mostly used for casual games with well-known opponents. However, recently I've started a Necron army, and have managed to put together a fully painted, WYSIWYG force. So, I'll cut to the chase. I'm thinking about going up and having a few games at my local GW (Edinburgh, for those interested), but I read a lot of horror stories on the Internet about them being filled with backseat gaming spectators, rules lawyers, irritating and/or nosey staff members, and the like.

Is it worth it? Do you actually get good games in general at GW stores? Especially with an army that tends to take quite a lot of flack for being overpowered, should I bother?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/stories. :)

Corn Berserker
02-07-2006, 16:16
Don't go during the day, go on a vet's night and you'll probably have a great time. Go along with a friend or few instead of going there to play against a random.

Insane Psychopath
02-07-2006, 16:18
Edinbrugh GW fine, the mange can be a bit....... well I do not really talk to him. How ever I mainy attend GW Glasgow as it gaming room & easy to travel to.

As for people watch. Well it should be ok, but if you feel unhappy with people hang around, give tactic advice to your oppent. You can simple ask them to shut up or get a GW staff memeber.

This has happen a few time in Glasgow is that you will get some git give the oppent tactic advice, which I find unfair be it to help me or my oppent. Should they still go on, I simple report it to the staffer. End of the day the game ment to be a challege & where the challege if people jump in & not even playing.

Apart from the odd git you get now & then, I have found my GW Vet night to be good for games. Just some people as said will be gits & can ruin stuff for everone, like in the GW Glasgow gaming room, where no long allowed to eat due to a lazy lot that hang & do nothing :rolleyes:

But again I found all my games alright, anyone who give me hassly I kind ask them to stop & should they keep going, I just say to staffer & they will kick out the git IF he not got anything better to do.

End of the day, it really about you going in as who know Edinbrugh lot could all be great people. But you will never go until you attend Vets night for that least two weeks,

On that note, I might suggest to watch out for Max. He not a bad person in anyway.... but he like wind people up & it dose not help that my mum, teachies ALL five of his kids :cries: Basicly he can black mail me. But again the staffer are good people, Max will wind people up.

As for armies, well on Vet night as long as a army is Undercoated, you should be ok. As for WYSIWYG... not sure about Edinbrugh, all I know is that you must have a list with you. Just you do get a few cheating gits.

But again just go in & see for your self, other wise what the point of all this hard work.

IP

Helicon_One
02-07-2006, 16:49
Don't go during the day, go on a vet's night and you'll probably have a great time. Go along with a friend or few instead of going there to play against a random.

I'd say the other way around, to be honest - Vet's Night is where you're most likely to find people offering 'helpful' suggestions to you or your opponent mid-game. If you play during the day in the week (work/school/uni hours permitting, of course) you might have the store to yourself with no spectators to stick their noses in.

Not having a go a Vet's Night here, they're often great fun, but not always the best time to get an uninterrupted game in. Often Vet Nights are more an excuse to make friends and make fun of each other and have stupid conversations about GW and non-GW stuff without even getting your models out on the table. Best advice I could give is to show up for Vet's night a couple of times without an army and check the place out, if you like the people you meet there then fix yourself up an opponent for another time while you're there if you can.

Tim

Brother_Falco
02-07-2006, 17:09
I tend to play most of my games in-store on Vet's Night, the local one being in walking distance.
It's been an entirely positive experience, decent, if limited till lately, opponent pool, variation in battlefields and competent (and semi-official) opinions on hand for rules queries, along with our tame redshirt being responsible for the store during our designated play-time. (5.30 till close).
I don't have a single bad thing to say about it, playing there even gets my ultra-uncomplicated paint scheme complimented, which hasn't happened anywhere else :<
One thing though, Corn Beserker's point about taking a friend is a valid one. At least for the first few games.

Gen_eV
02-07-2006, 17:26
I've been meaning to get my **** down to GW Edinburgh myself for some time now. I've been at uni since september, after all. If you fancy a game on a Veteran's night, let me know. I've generally not gone down because of worries about not managing to actually get a game sorted ,particularly as I'm unable to arrive before 7.30 due to work...

Really need to start gaming properly - only matches I've had in the past three/four years was at the Carnage tourney earlier this year.

Shockwave
02-07-2006, 17:30
I'd say the other way around, to be honest - Vet's Night is where you're most likely to find people offering 'helpful' suggestions to you or your opponent mid-game. If you play during the day in the week (work/school/uni hours permitting, of course) you might have the store to yourself with no spectators to stick their noses in.

If this is the case at your Vets night, then to me it sounds that those arn't vets they're kids. Vets at my local, is 16+, which means more like 18/20+ (Half of which are 25+) and generally all are quite mature.

@ RampangingRavener
IMO, if you have the chance, go with the intent to paint, finnish off a model or two. Then while you do see how the others behave and if it's for you or not.

Corn Berserker
02-07-2006, 17:54
Corn Beserker's point about taking a friend is a valid one. At least for the first few games.

Yeah, that's sorta what I meant, oops. It can be a bit daunting going into the club and asking someone for a game if your new to the vet's nights. They may ask you too however. But go 3 or 4 times with friends, or every week if you like, and with the help of group confidence you'll have made some new friends and potential opponents.

Sir_Lunchalot
02-07-2006, 21:55
Well, I don't live anywhere near you (western Canada, actually) but atmy local GW vet's night is usually a good experience. There's only one guy that I don't like, but he doesn't show up that often anymore, and when he does I just nicely ask him to stomp on somebody else. The atmosphere at my GW is pretty good. Friendly staffers and customers, having been going there on and off for oh what's it, three or four years now I've only ever met one guy who I didn't like.

Lyinar
02-07-2006, 22:07
I'm going to be stopping by the GW store in Atlanta (well, the older one, anyway), on the 11th, as I'll be doing two days of paid training for my new job on the following two days, and won't really have much else to do other than check in at the hotel that day.

Hopefully I'll get to play a couple of games between lunch and 7:15PM, when I'll be watching the Pirates of the Carribean sequel at the same mall (gotta love a mall with an IMAX/multiplex theater on the third floor ;) ). Though with my lack of experience (yeah, I know a lot about general tactics, the relative strengths/weaknesses of various units, and I have a lot of the rules memorized, but I've only played a couple of games), and the fact that dice hate me, I'll probably just end up helping the Space Marines lose the Medusa V campaign.

damz451
03-07-2006, 02:33
i thought the edinburgh store ddnt have many gaming tables, i go to glasgow gw store usually on tuesday nights when i dont have work, though i went in one thursday to play against insane phycopath above me (i lost horribly). Iv found that most people are pretty decent towards half painted armies, iv seen some armies with just undercoats but as long as some of the models are done its ok as it shows that the player is slowly working his way through.

Iv yet to see or hear about people butting in with comments about peoples armies except from one guy who claimed i had an illegal list because i had no troop choices, he of course ddnt know what deathwing had :D.

you may as well give it a try, the worst that can happen is that you have one night spoilt.

also phycopath you gonna be in on thurs as usual?, might come in for a game with my dark eldar :D

shakespear
03-07-2006, 03:07
I find the whole "painted/WYSIWYG armies" rules, a bit silly.

I cant imagine a company would want to alienate its own customers that way.

The last Fantasy Tourny I went to (local RT shop) had ONE, fully painted army out of the 12 that were there.

Insane Psychopath
03-07-2006, 08:53
shakespear

Not really. Say you have A Space Marine with bolter rep a Vet Sarg, so you say to your oppent "he got a *inseart wargear here*" but also the person dose not have a list. Later one in the game, the person changies that *somthing* into say a Power Fist because he fighting a Dreadnought in Close combat.

It just stop stuff like this happing & as why GW ask that you bring a army list.

As for painting, well for myself I do like seeing full painted armies, but that me. I think GW want that as it help sell the models. As you get people who know nothing of this hobby, thinking of starting.

damz451: Should be in on Thur, not sure what army I will use but it will be the usely 1500pts.

IP

hiram
03-07-2006, 09:22

I cant imagine a company would want to alienate its own customers that way.

The last Fantasy Tourny I went to (local RT shop) had ONE, fully painted army out of the 12 that were there.

I think it is wierd that so many think it is silly to paint all of those models that they buy. Personally I think if the rule was enforced at tourny than we would see alot more painted armies all around.

IJW
03-07-2006, 10:31
You've obviously never played against someone who is using 100+ figures, NONE of whom are equipped as the actual model is...

Bear in mind that the all-painted-models was a lot more strict when it was first introduced in the Nineties - bases had to have green edges even if the army was based for snow or urban and it applied all the time - even for gaming evenings. If you could see metal, plastic or undercoat then it was out... Coming back to the hobby recently I was amazed to walk into vet's night at the local store and see multiple unpainted armies.

Sleazy
03-07-2006, 11:20
at Vets nights I believe all minis should be painted and all WISIWIG, if you wanna use your unpainted figs, fine, thats what regular games nights are for, Vets are supposed to represent something for new gamers to strive for, when I was a red shirt we enforced this strictly, and as such Vets were allowed a little more lea-way (chairs available, allowed to eat and drink in store etc).

Thats probably just one of my little foibles anyway, I paint far more than I play and really cannot see much point in an unpainted army.

Jedi152
03-07-2006, 11:57
Playing against a friend is excellent - you get to play on amazing terrain - i played Crube the other week at WW and had a whale of a time, but i'm always put off going along and playing a randomer - GW can be cliquey at the best of times.

Because i don't play that often, and therefore have no concept of tactics whatsoever, i'll just be laughed out of the place.

Jellicoe
03-07-2006, 12:08
definitely prefer a non vets night - less of the back seat gamer - 'my army is teh uber and would waste yours' sort of comment

Go with a mate and get stuck into a nice quiet game on a decent table with no hassle or interruption

Steiner and I have had a few matches at the Plaza in Oxford street on non games nights and the staff have got a bit funny with us on some occasions. Straight forward 40k game - all painted GW mini's, quiet focused concentration and no rules queries so hardly causing trouble!

Is it a policy that you can only game in a store on a vets night and sunday only these days?

MadJackMcJack
03-07-2006, 13:00
The only problem I have with vets night is the touchy feely types. (Touchy feely on my models that is. If someone tried to get touchy feely with me, well, I'd probably stand there with a horrified look on my face for a good 10 minutes, before fleeing the store screaming) I haven't varnished my models due to lack of good UK varnish, and sweaty hands do not mix well with the boyz.

Overlord Krycis
03-07-2006, 13:05
If you go there sometime during this week during the day, I'll probably be there...I'll give you a game.
And in general...GW stores are alright. Sure you get the odd "Back-seat Rules Lawyer" hanging about giving you "advice", but its normally ok.

gitburna
03-07-2006, 13:18
why not go along one night and see what its actually like... Not all GW are the same, not even all nights are the same.. You dont have to take your models the first time.If its a bad atmos, you just dont go back

RampagingRavener
03-07-2006, 13:31
'Kay, thanks for the replies. Though, when are the Vets nights? I know one of the staffers said Tuesday, but that was months and months ago, and I don't know if they vary from store to store. Might have to check it out some time, once I've scraped up enough money for bus fairs...:(

DragonPup
03-07-2006, 14:21
The Vets night varies by store. Give them a quick call and they'll tell you. :)

Chem-Dog
03-07-2006, 14:33
I've started a Necron army, and have managed to put together a fully painted, WYSIWYG force.

Assemble, spray black, spray silver, done in a day :p

Talk to the staff, they can clue you in, the vast majority are great.