PDA

View Full Version : Building WoC army, need advice

Snogens
06-05-2015, 13:49
Hey folks!
I am currently building a WoC army, mono nurgle.
Here is what my plans are so far and the miniatures I have gathered:
24 (6x5 with heros/lords) Warriors, MoN, Shields, Halberd, FC
This will be my main block that will include the following:
1 Nurgle Lord
1 Nurgle BSB
1 Nurgle Wizard
Questions: what magical banner could be tacticaly good in this unit? , +1M banner or perhaps the +1LD banner?

10 blightkings (5x2), Banner, Musician
I'm thinkin warbanner here?

6 Trolls in two units or 3

10 warhounds
2 units of 5

As you see this will be a footslogging army. But i can not come to terms with what to add.
My thoughts goes throu, perhaps 1 or 2 MoN gorebeast chariots?
MoN Giants?
Nurgle DP?
Chimera?

Please help me out to plan this out for maximum army synergy.
Thank you in advance
regards
/S

E-Dog
06-05-2015, 14:59
I think you're off to a good start. As for the banner on warriors I would go with +1M or something that gives MR. Reason being if warriors are losing combat you're doing something wrong.

Seeing as its a footslogger army I would add some speed in the form of chimera, 2 at least. They are a great addition that can run down most chaff, war machines, or swing combats in your favor. I would also think about getting some knights, not as good as they were in older additions but still hard as nails, especially with the mark of nurgle!

Can't speak on gorbeast charriots, haven't used them. Regular charriots are awesome tho, and great as a core choice.

Snogens
07-05-2015, 06:34
2 chimeras is one idea.
Why I am not sold on it is because they have very low LD and my lord is on foot. I kind of see this as problematic because then i might have to add a DP. Any other idea?
Perhaps gorebeast(s)/knights is the way to go?

theJ
07-05-2015, 12:55
The only situation where the ld of the Chimaera would even come into question is if it gets charged by an even bigger monster... in which case it's boned either way, making ld a nonissue.
In truth, ld tends to be a nonissue for warriors period - you'll pretty much never lose combat, and with great toughness and saves even before considering the nurgly bitz, the odds of ever taking panic from shooting are... not high.
All in all... it's not uncommon for me to see WoC generals who don't even bother with BSBs - because leadership just doesn't come up often enough to justify the rerolls.

tl;dr don't worry so much about the leadership values.

Snogens
07-05-2015, 13:15
But, why do i read alot of people sayig that there is need of babysitting for chimeras. If not by DP u need a mobile lord to babysit them?
I might be wrong because i dont have alot of experience with this. But that is what i read.
Thank you for your reply!
Regars
/S

Snogens
07-05-2015, 13:16
But, why do i read alot of people sayig that there is need of babysitting for chimeras. If not by DP u need a mobile lord to babysit them?
I might be wrong because i dont have alot of experience with this. But that is what i read.
Thank you for your reply!
Regars
/S

Groza
07-05-2015, 13:33
It just has horrendously low LD so by default it needs to be within range of your general if it is ever needed to take a break test.
Depends how you use it really. Look out for units being destroyed within 6, sending it in combats with multiple units where you are likely to lose (your warriors or blight kings might easily stick after a minor loss but the chimera is good as gone) or simply charging something with lots of static CR and rolling very bad on your attacks.

Snogens
07-05-2015, 13:45
But, if i need to keep it back, does it not invalidate the use of its high movement speed/fly rule.
The idea behind it is to be able to fly far away from it harassing/killing warmachines?
Or do you think that I should just use it to flank?
Please explain to me :)
Thank you for all replys
Regards
/S

NpSkully
07-05-2015, 14:42
But, if i need to keep it back, does it not invalidate the use of its high movement speed/fly rule.
The idea behind it is to be able to fly far away from it harassing/killing warmachines?
Or do you think that I should just use it to flank?
Please explain to me :)
Thank you for all replys
Regards
/S
if you want a flanking unit I woud invest in a chimera, they are a decent amount of points and are dedicated CC monsters that are meant for that job, and they are good at it, but if you want flanking artillery hunter units get marauder horsemen and give them spears and throwing axes or javelins depending on your meta. With vanguard from fast cav. and movement 8 they will be able to run pretty quickly up the board and toss javelins at stuff. 3 units of 5 marauders will be the price of a kitted chimera and they; have reliable shooting, they can't be redirected, they are almost as fast, and they aren't giant targets. They are just overall a better choice. Also if you were running LoC, invest in some actual Beastmen ambushers. Ungor raiders are incredibly useful and great for nailing war machines because they can flank turn one, are skirmishers, and have bows. But yeah, chimera for flanking CC, not Warmachine hunting. Cheers!

E-Dog
07-05-2015, 19:40
I haven't found the low leadership of chimera to be an issue. As others have stated not alot of running away with a chaos army the exception being hounds. Baby sitter isn't necessary but does not hurt either.

Marauders aren't a bad choice either, but I perfer the combat ability of chimera. They can fill multiple roles which I really like.

NpSkully
08-05-2015, 12:34
I haven't found the low leadership of chimera to be an issue. As others have stated not alot of running away with a chaos army the exception being hounds. Baby sitter isn't necessary but does not hurt either.

Marauders aren't a bad choice either, but I perfer the combat ability of chimera. They can fill multiple roles which I really like.
Yeah but if you try to use a chimera as a dedicated artillery hunter, then it will most likely get knocked out of the sky before you can say "boo". It's a large target literally and figuratively, and it's not super survivable against most artillery units.

E-Dog
08-05-2015, 20:27
Yeah but if you try to use a chimera as a dedicated artillery hunter, then it will most likely get knocked out of the sky before you can say "boo". It's a large target literally and figuratively, and it's not super survivable against most artillery units.

While I don't face many gunlines, I do see plenty of artillery and the regen and decent toughness is usally enough to get them there. Espcially when you bring 2...or 3:evilgrin:
As I said they don't have to be "dedicated" to hunting war machines, they fill multiple roles unlike marauder cav.

NpSkully
09-05-2015, 21:06
While I don't face many gunlines, I do see plenty of artillery and the regen and decent toughness is usally enough to get them there. Espcially when you bring 2...or 3:evilgrin:
As I said they don't have to be "dedicated" to hunting war machines, they fill multiple roles unlike marauder cav.
Fair enough. In all seriousness how has chimera spam worked for you?

E-Dog
11-05-2015, 17:40
Pretty well, they make a real mess of light infantry and tear thru most chaff. Also when you "spam" them your opponent is forced to deal with them, leaving your other units to get to the enemy line unscathed. I also like to run a disc lord with them sometimes, and the four of them flying around is really nasty. Really allows you to pick your battles.