PDA

View Full Version : slaanesh worship and other things

WarsmithGarathor94
09-05-2015, 21:56
Hey guys i have a few questions regarding the dark prince/princess and would like your guys opinions
1) how easy would it be for Slaanesh to corrupt the majority of a space marine chapter im thinking a ultramarines successor here
2) do the gods communicate with their followers directly? Can said followers hear them
3)The dark mechanicus would it be unusual to have a slaanesh worshipping order of them for lack of a better term.
4) Slaanesh worship does it always go to the same extent as say the emporers children or could say a chapter who was foccused on attaining martial perfection never go beyond that.
5) in some sources it states slaanesh hates psykers does it actually hate them

Formerly Wu
09-05-2015, 22:20
1) It's uncommon but far from unheard of. Many chapters have fallen to Chaos by becoming corrupt. How easy it is depends on the circumstances of the chapter and what led them down that road. Was it one charismatic leader who led them astray? A failure of culture that led to tolerance of what should not be tolerated? An outside precipitating event, such as a disastrous situation or exposure to the Warp? Several factors at once?

2) I would guess that especially favored champions or prophets have heard (and understood) the voice of their patrons. To the less attuned, they may come across as disturbing whispers/nightmares, or worse.

3) I could see a coven of fleshcrafters being Slaanesh devotees. Or perhaps a cult devoted to perfecting the human form, creating beautiful but blasphemous golden automatons with anatomically precise biomechanical innards (and murderous souls, naturally).

4) I don't quite understand the question. There are many paths that lead to corruption, not just the pursuit of martial perfection. If you're asking whether total conversion to Chaos/Noise Marine cult status is inevitable, I would say that a cult can fester under the surface for some time. Only the most devoted will become Noise Marines, and the chapter may fragment/be destroyed before that comes to pass, leaving few if any to wander until they find a warband.

5) Khorne hates psykers, but I've never heard that of Slaanesh.

WarsmithGarathor94
10-05-2015, 05:50
1) It's uncommon but far from unheard of. Many chapters have fallen to Chaos by becoming corrupt. How easy it is depends on the circumstances of the chapter and what led them down that road. Was it one charismatic leader who led them astray? A failure of culture that led to tolerance of what should not be tolerated? An outside precipitating event, such as a disastrous situation or exposure to the Warp? Several factors at once?

2) I would guess that especially favored champions or prophets have heard (and understood) the voice of their patrons. To the less attuned, they may come across as disturbing whispers/nightmares, or worse.

3) I could see a coven of fleshcrafters being Slaanesh devotees. Or perhaps a cult devoted to perfecting the human form, creating beautiful but blasphemous golden automatons with anatomically precise biomechanical innards (and murderous souls, naturally).

4) I don't quite understand the question. There are many paths that lead to corruption, not just the pursuit of martial perfection. If you're asking whether total conversion to Chaos/Noise Marine cult status is inevitable, I would say that a cult can fester under the surface for some time. Only the most devoted will become Noise Marines, and the chapter may fragment/be destroyed before that comes to pass, leaving few if any to wander until they find a warband.

5) Khorne hates psykers, but I've never heard that of Slaanesh.

thanks what i meant with question 4 was for example empores children started out with just searching for perfection now they are sensation drug addicted hippies.
Im sure i read somewhere slaanesh dosent like psykers

Harwammer
10-05-2015, 06:06
Hey guys i have a few questions regarding the dark prince/princess and would like your guys opinions
1) how easy would it be for Slaanesh to corrupt the majority of a space marine chapter im thinking a ultramarines successor here
2) do the gods communicate with their followers directly? Can said followers hear them
3)The dark mechanicus would it be unusual to have a slaanesh worshipping order of them for lack of a better term.
4) Slaanesh worship does it always go to the same extent as say the emporers children or could say a chapter who was foccused on attaining martial perfection never go beyond that.
5) in some sources it states slaanesh hates psykers does it actually hate them

1) Space marines like to have a down time hobby. Some make wine, some artifice their armour, others are musicians. Perhaps a chapter that venerates music as a way of being close to the Emperor discovers a Twisted Sister cassette tape?

2) Indirectly through visions or more rarely while lost in the warp.

3) Back in the day Slaanesh had loads of knights that were dedicated to him/her, so I suspect that would be fine.

4) Sounds like the Flawless Host is a closer fit than EC for you? They aren't focused on attaining martial perfection, rather they believe they are infallible so are just/fair in any action they take.

5) Don't think I have read either way on this.

WarsmithGarathor94
10-05-2015, 08:00
1) Space marines like to have a down time hobby. Some make wine, some artifice their armour, others are musicians. Perhaps a chapter that venerates music as a way of being close to the Emperor discovers a Twisted Sister cassette tape?

2) Indirectly through visions or more rarely while lost in the warp.

3) Back in the day Slaanesh had loads of knights that were dedicated to him/her, so I suspect that would be fine.

4) Sounds like the Flawless Host is a closer fit than EC for you? They aren't focused on attaining martial perfection, rather they believe they are infallible so are just/fair in any action they take.

5) Don't think I have read either way on this.

Im doing my own warband but regarding question 4 what im wondering is would a bunch of marines who fall to slaanesh for wanting to attain martial perfection always end up similar to the emporers children or could they remain relatively normal with the exception of being rather arrogant

Getifa Ubazza
10-05-2015, 09:40
Im doing my own warband but regarding question 4 what im wondering is would a bunch of marines who fall to slaanesh for wanting to attain martial perfection always end up similar to the emporers children or could they remain relatively normal with the exception of being rather arrogant

For me Slaanesh is the god of Excess. In other words, his\ her followers will naturally move towards an extreme of one kind or another. This is more dependant on where they start their journey and the natural traits that they themselves have or choose to take to excess.

They don't even need to be arrogant. Well not in the way we would naturally think of it at least.

Sandlemad
10-05-2015, 09:51
Im sure i read somewhere slaanesh dosent like psykers

The Emperor's Children didn't care for psykers before the heresy, seeing them as fundamentally imperfect and flawed. That looks to have gone out the window once they fell, as everyone started getting their own idea as to what constitutes perfection. Not a Slaanesh thing as such though.

xenofexx
10-05-2015, 09:54
For me Slaanesh is the god of Excess. In other words, his\ her followers will naturally move towards an extreme of one kind or another. This is more dependant on where they start their journey and the natural traits that they themselves have or choose to take to excess.

This. I can't really see Slaanesh worshippers holding back. Worship of the Chaos gods tends to be taken to the extreme as the follower strives increasingly harder to garner the attention of his/her patron god. That being said, I don't think that all Slaanesh worshippers necessarily need to end up being specifically noise-junkies. It happened to the Emperor's Children (triggered by the Maraviglia and Kynska's crazy instruments), but there are loads of other ways one can take indulgence to the extreme. Hearing is only one of five senses to be indulged, remember!

Getifa Ubazza
10-05-2015, 10:31
This. I can't really see Slaanesh worshippers holding back. Worship of the Chaos gods tends to be taken to the extreme as the follower strives increasingly harder to garner the attention of his/her patron god. That being said, I don't think that all Slaanesh worshippers necessarily need to end up being specifically noise-junkies. It happened to the Emperor's Children (triggered by the Maraviglia and Kynska's crazy instruments), but there are loads of other ways one can take indulgence to the extreme. Hearing is only one of five senses to be indulged, remember!

Exactly! If you want relatively normal, then simply set your Marines at or close to the beginning of their journey. Some will naturally move faster on that road than others, but the further into the journey you get, the less "normal" you're going to see. Normal will in itself become exotic and a move towards that idea would simply lead to excess in another form. There will also be a natural tipping point. How close to that do you want to be?

WarsmithGarathor94
10-05-2015, 13:15
some of mine will be going down the noise route as they find it rather amusing the panic and terror sonic weapons cause.
While probably a bad anology slaaneah worshippers are basically like drug addicts then constantly chasing the next sensation :p

Getifa Ubazza
10-05-2015, 19:50
While probably a bad anology slaaneah worshippers are basically like drug addicts then constantly chasing the next sensation :p

Not a bad analogy at all. They do have a chasing the dragon kinda feel to them. As they experience each new sensation, it holds them for a short while, but then they need to chase the next even bigger sensation. It becomes all consuming, to the point where nothing else has any meaning. Not even your own life or the lives of those close to you.

Any addiction or obsession could be used for this analogy though and they all feed Slaanesh.

WarsmithGarathor94
11-05-2015, 00:54
thanks guys

MvS
11-05-2015, 19:58
I've never been a fan of the idea that Slaanesh is a God of excess. All the Chaos Gods are gods of excess in their areas of interest.

Being grumpy adds a faint trickle to Khorne. Being angry adds more. But why have cotton when you can have silk? Khorne promotes insane and unconrollably excessive rage wherever he can.

Slaanesh, if anything, is the god of sensation itself and particularly pleasure-in-sensation; of satisfaction, delight, ecstasy, feelings of transcendence and so on and so forth.

Yes he promotes and desires all of these things to an insane excess, but ultimately that's the nature of Chaos across the board. All Chaos followers gradually become exreme junkies of the sensations / feelings / emotions / concepts / experiences (etc) that their god desires and embodies.