PDA

View Full Version : Do classic Empire Halberdiers rank up easily?

Emperor Karl Franz
10-05-2015, 09:51
I was wondering about these guys.

If I put them on horizontal rather than diagonal slottabases, will they fit next to each other, or will they bump into each other? I don't remember ever seeing them ranked up together, so I'm not sure if they'd fit well together or not. So does anyone know for certain whether they fit together or not (at least without putting them on diagonal slotta bases, like in this picture)? Thanks.

Brother Dimetrius
10-05-2015, 11:32
I used to have them. If you alternate the "short" and "long" spaces between the slotta and the edge of the base for adjacent models, they rank up fine.

Bloodknight
10-05-2015, 11:35
Yeah, you need to use a slottabase with an off-center-slot and alternate. Or you cut off the tab and glue the feet to the slotless bases. They do not fit if placed at the same level.

theunwantedbeing
10-05-2015, 11:55
They should rank up fine diagonally.
I'm not sure there were any mono-pose models from that period that didn't rank up on the diagonal bases.

The models that caused issues tended to be the command as they had different poses which sometimes didn't quite rank up properly.

An easy solution is to cut one foot free of the base and twist the model slightly to give the required room.
You could even use that method to make the forward facing slotta bases work.

Ramius4
10-05-2015, 21:09
They're perfect diagonally. Horizontally, you have to stagger them with off center slottabases.

I use 100 of these on a fairly regular basis :)

PS. If you ever want to get rid of those, I'm always in the market for more!

Just Tony
10-05-2015, 22:33
What Ramius says is true. All my HE core foot troops are made up of monopose models, and my Bestigors are all the Gor Halberdiers from 5th. There are a ton of those plastics that are still viable, and don't look bad at all. Bretonnian archers, Hell, I even like the Wood Elves archers. The Chaos guys are give and take, but if they can be found on the cheap are a great way to make playable units. The bottom side to this is that they pretty much have to be diagonal to be able to rank up, or you have to stagger them. One is easy to remember to do.

Emperor Karl Franz
10-05-2015, 22:37
I don't like them diagonal as it looks really dumb to me, which is why I was asking about basing them horizontally. If staggering works, though, then I'll do that.

Ramius4
10-05-2015, 22:49
I don't like them diagonal as it looks really dumb to me, which is why I was asking about basing them horizontally. If staggering works, though, then I'll do that.

Damn. Maybe I should have told you it wouldn't work, and you would have sold them to me instead :p

Emperor Karl Franz
11-05-2015, 07:00
Well, I don't have them. I was thinking of buying some and wanted to be sure before I got them. If I did have them then I wouldn't need to ask, as I could pop them on horizontal slottabases and see for myself. :p

StygianBeach
11-05-2015, 10:55
Well, I don't have them. I was thinking of buying some and wanted to be sure before I got them. If I did have them then I wouldn't need to ask, as I could pop them on horizontal slottabases and see for myself. :p

I have seen some converted versions of these guys, it was just a simple head swap, but it made the unit look amazing.

zoggin-eck
11-05-2015, 14:12
Remember when the Regiment of Altdorf boxed set seemed massive? A regiment of 30 models? Madness!

Ramius4
12-05-2015, 21:49
Remember when the Regiment of Altdorf boxed set seemed massive? A regiment of 30 models? Madness!

It was more impressive that they all came in one box. For $30 USD.

Damn I wish I could go back in time for a few days. The Regiment of Altdorf kit just might be my number 1 purchase. I just love those simple models.

Shakkara
13-05-2015, 12:44
You can cut off the slotta part from the feet, and then glue them to slotless bases so they're slightly skewed but not fully diagonal. It seems that's even the official way to do it, see here:
http://a3.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/119/ec1e28ae890749089dcca8eb62330bb4/l.jpg