PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh and Spiders.

3eland
11-05-2015, 13:30
So I have seen many spider themed Slaanesh armies and love the look. However when I try to find information regarding Slaanesh and spiders I can never find anything. Is there actual fluff that states spiders are an animal, or icon of Slaanesh? I want to add something more to my Slaanesh army and was thinking spiders, but if it doesn't make sense fluff wise I didn't want to just jump into the pool of "oh another spider guy".

Thanks!

Hendarion
11-05-2015, 13:33
Never heard of any relation in that regard.

Harwammer
11-05-2015, 13:41
Lots of elegant, thin limbs and silk.

Spiders are so glamorous!

Denny
11-05-2015, 14:34
I don't think there is any fluff backing it up.

In fantasy there was a period where some fluff was introduced concerning the Marauders worshiping the Chaos Gods as totem animals; a Hound, Eagle, Crow, and Serpent respectively. I think a Serpent makes more sense for Slaanesh than a Spider.

From a modeling POV it might just be that quite a lot of Slaanesh Daemons have multiple limbs, and someone took that as a starting point.

iamcjb
11-05-2015, 14:48
Fulgrim became a serpent like creature and has an old (hideous) Epic model. Spiders do feel very Slaanesh though.

3eland
11-05-2015, 15:09
Serpents was another things I was going to play with. The medusa model for Dark Elves would make great stand ins for something (I would change out the head for a daemonette and maybe modify the spear into something with the Slaanesh heraldry/Iconography.

Theocracity
11-05-2015, 15:32
Spiders do feel very Slaanesh though.

Seconded. It's a concept that I don't think I've seen before, but makes perfect sense - a beautiful gossamer web of intricate craftsmanship that traps creatures so they can be eaten alive by a horrible monster. That's pretty much Slaanesh.

I wonder if that huge spider from Fantasy would be a good base to model something cool with.

3eland
11-05-2015, 15:40
Seconded. It's a concept that I don't think I've seen before, but makes perfect sense - a beautiful gossamer web of intricate craftsmanship that traps creatures so they can be eaten alive by a horrible monster. That's pretty much Slaanesh.

I wonder if that huge spider from Fantasy would be a good base to model something cool with.

Agreed. The qualities of the spider really fit Slaanesh.

I was thinking the same thing about the spider. It's a lovely looking model. I've also seen people convert the Goblin Spider Riders into Seeker or Fiends. They put half a Daemonnette body (or similar looking third party model) on the top and green stuff it to work. Like the picture (attached) I found online that originally made me think about a Spider themed Slaanesh army.

The Arachnarok would make an awesome Soul Grinder maybe. Don't think there is many large models it could work for (maybe the large chariot?).

Theocracity
11-05-2015, 15:46
Agreed. The qualities of the spider really fit Slaanesh.

I was thinking the same thing about the spider. It's a lovely looking model. I've also seen people convert the Goblin Spider Riders into Seeker or Fiends. They put half a Daemonnette body (or similar looking third party model) on the top and green stuff it to work. Like the picture (attached) I found online that originally made me think about a Spider themed Slaanesh army.

The Arachnarok would make an awesome Soul Grinder maybe. Don't think there is many large models it could work for (maybe the large chariot?).

I'm not entirely sure how big it is compared to other models, but I'm wondering if it would make a good Maulerfiend. I think you can build it without the howdah, too, if being a bit shorter would help any counts-as conversions.

3eland
11-05-2015, 15:51
I will have to look into the size. Maulerfiends would work too if it is appropriately sized. That and with the 12" movement they receive it would fit the theme so well.

Knifeparty
11-05-2015, 16:17
I totally see Spiders as Slaaneshi, especially Black Widow types.

You could kit bash a maulerfiend/defiler/Arachnarock to create some kind of chaos monstrosity.

11-05-2015, 17:54

That could also fit Tzeentch. It spins webs.
Sarpedon, the Soul Drinker (from the Soul Drinkers Series) who became a pawn of Tzeentch, was "gifted" with spider legs.

Lord Damocles
11-05-2015, 18:00
The reason for all of the spidery Slaanesh armies is probably precisely because Fantasy spiders make economical Fiend/Seeker conversions.

Theocracity
11-05-2015, 18:05
That could also fit Tzeentch. It spins webs.
Sarpedon, the Soul Drinker (from the Soul Drinkers Series) who became a pawn of Tzeentch, was "gifted" with spider legs.

Sure, spiders also work for Tzeentch. Different metaphors with the same symbol. If I had to parse it out I'd say the web is a stronger symbol for Tzeentch, while the hungry spider is a stronger symbol for Slaanesh, though it easily could go both ways.

Hendarion
12-05-2015, 11:55
Spiders (like bugs and flies) to me are more a Nurgle-thing though.

Theocracity
12-05-2015, 13:56
Spiders (like bugs and flies) to me are more a Nurgle-thing though.

That's ridiculous, clearly spiders are a Khorne (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Chaos/DAEMONS_AND__BEASTS/KHORNE-BLOOD-SLAUGHTERER-IMPALER.html) thing (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Chaos/DAEMONS_AND__BEASTS/GREAT_BRASS_SCORPION.html). ;)

I suppose predatory, inhuman creatures like spiders are a pretty versatile symbol when it comes to representing predatory, inhuman gods.

Harwammer
12-05-2015, 14:23
Haha, I was waiting for someone to tie spiders in to complete the ruinous circle!

Afterall, spiders have 8 legs; clearly favoured by Khorne!

12-05-2015, 14:57
Haha, I was waiting for someone to tie spiders in to complete the ruinous circle!

Afterall, spiders have 8 legs; clearly favoured by Khorne!

The "holy octet" is a symbol of Chaos Undivided, not just Khorne. But it does seem that Khorne's followers like to paint themselves up more than others.

Saunders
12-05-2015, 16:08
The reason for all of the spidery Slaanesh armies is probably precisely because Fantasy spiders make economical Fiend/Seeker conversions.

Ding ding! We have a winner.

People may be reading too far in to this.

Arijharn
14-05-2015, 11:13
I always figured GW would steer away from spiders due to the whole Lloth or whatever D&D vibe it would bring.

Kyme
14-05-2015, 12:40
"Spiders do feel very Slaanesh though."

Considering that Slaanesh was born from Eldar, and a facet of the Eldar went on to create an Aspect called Warp Spiders, the suggestion that spiders are a Slaanesh "thing" shouldn't be that far outside the realms of possibility.

Its cause and effect.

Okuto
14-05-2015, 14:39
I used spiders for my fiends of slaanesh but thats only cause ravenors were out of my budget.....;)

IMO they have a elegant motherly feel. I think snakes are more slaaneshi tbh but GW doesn't produce a decent snake-like model

malifaux does though....I'm currently experimenting

Kyme
14-05-2015, 16:08
I used spiders for my fiends of slaanesh but thats only cause ravenors were out of my budget.....;)

IMO they have a elegant motherly feel. I think snakes are more slaaneshi tbh but GW doesn't produce a decent snake-like model

malifaux does though....I'm currently experimenting

well there one nice snake like model.. sadly he costs 8 a pop.

Hendarion
15-05-2015, 05:20
Considering that Slaanesh was born from Eldar, and a facet of the Eldar went on to create an Aspect called Warp Spiders, the suggestion that spiders are a Slaanesh "thing" shouldn't be that far outside the realms of possibility.The aspect is named based on little spider creatures inside the infinity circuit who eat bad spirits and daemons... There's no connection to Slaanesh in these spiders. Especially since these Aspects were created *after* Slaanesh came into being.

Kyme
15-05-2015, 11:50
The aspect is named based on little spider creatures inside the infinity circuit who eat bad spirits and daemons... There's no connection to Slaanesh in these spiders. Especially since these Aspects were created *after* Slaanesh came into being.

I was suggesting that the idea of aspects would have existed in their psyche when Slaanesh was created.

All it takes is a single seed for a forest to be grown.

Hendarion
15-05-2015, 12:13
Aspects were not part of what Slaanesh is composed of. They were created after Slaanesh got born in order to prevent Eldar minds to ever again feed her and to never again endanger the Eldar. It is a measurement *against* Slaanesh. Apart of that, Warrior Aspects focus on Khaine and are a part of him, not of Slaanesh. Further more, Warp Spiders like I said mimic these little creatures living on Craftworlds. They were not created by the Eldar.

Kyme
15-05-2015, 13:32
Aspects were not part of what Slaanesh is composed of. They were created after Slaanesh got born in order to prevent Eldar minds to ever again feed her and to never again endanger the Eldar. It is a measurement *against* Slaanesh. Apart of that, Warrior Aspects focus on Khaine and are a part of him, not of Slaanesh. Further more, Warp Spiders like I said mimic these little creatures living on Craftworlds. They were not created by the Eldar.

Slaanesh was born from the desires of the Eldar race, when the hedonism and their narcissism reached new highs.

If they were vain enough to think they were untouchable before, the survivors would be vain enough to think creating a race of warriors, that would be impervious to She Who Thirsts, and that vanity would have existed in some form before the need arose.

Considering that Slaanesh was created from ALL of the Eldar civilization, and Warp Spider existed before the god was created, AFTER Slaanesh was borne into the warp, the suggestion of Warp Spiders would be born too and through the sick perversion, Slaanesh would use spiders to mock her creators.

Besides, since Warp Spider went on to be created after Slaanesh was created, all it takes is for one to die and not have its soul saved, for Slaanesh to twist that idea against the Eldar.

While Spiders may not have always have been apart of Slaanesh originally, it isnt beyond the realms of possibility that She adopted it in the millennia since.

Hendarion
15-05-2015, 14:31
Yea. Pure speculation. Slaanesh was never associated with spiders. You can come up with fan-fiction as much as you want, that doesn't make it more true.

Considering that (...) Warp Spider existed before the god was createdWe don't know that. They very well may have come to live after the Fall. Also nobody ever mentioned that Warp Spiders (the creatures) were created by the Eldar at all. I've rather been under the impression that these things just live there and were never created by the Eldar explicitly. Heck, it may even be possible that these little spiders exist through the entire Webway which also wasn't created by the Eldar either.

all it takes is for one to die and not have its soul saved, for Slaanesh to twist that idea against the Eldar.And yet no such thing has ever been presented by Games-Workshop. In 10k years of in-universe time. Instead, Slaanesh creatures typically have hooves, claws and pincers.

Theocracity
15-05-2015, 15:02
Yea. Pure speculation. Slaanesh was never associated with spiders. You can come up with fan-fiction as much as you want, that doesn't make it more true.

We don't know that. They very well may have come to live after the Fall. Also nobody ever mentioned that Warp Spiders (the creatures) were created by the Eldar at all. I've rather been under the impression that these things just live there and were never created by the Eldar explicitly. Heck, it may even be possible that these little spiders exist through the entire Webway which also wasn't created by the Eldar either.

And yet no such thing has ever been presented by Games-Workshop. In 10k years of in-universe time. Instead, Slaanesh creatures typically have hooves, claws and pincers.

Yeah - I'm all for spiders as a valid way to represent Slaaneshi demons, but any rationale beyond "it looks cool and is sort of thematic" is going to be purely invented.

Besides which, it's not like Slaanesh can be easily represented by Hawks, Dragons, or other Aspect totems :p.

Hendarion
15-05-2015, 19:32
Sure, rule of cool always works. There is that very cool picture from massive voodoo (iirc) with some nice models. But that's about it.

theunwantedbeing
15-05-2015, 19:39
I always figured GW would steer away from spiders due to the whole Lloth or whatever D&D vibe it would bring.

GW has done, the players...not so much.
And anyone new to the game who doesn't have much knowledge of the chaos gods is going to assume that spiders are a big part of slaanesh lore due to seeing all the countless conversions people have made with it.

3eland
15-05-2015, 22:02
GW has done, the players...not so much.
And anyone new to the game who doesn't have much knowledge of the chaos gods is going to assume that spiders are a big part of slaanesh lore due to seeing all the countless conversions people have made with it.

Agreed, hence my original question. And I have been playing for some time (just not Daemons, lol, they are new this year).

TimLeeson
17-05-2015, 11:57
I've caught my pet tarantula drawing chaos star's using her silk, in her tank at times. I just keep looking the other way.

On topic, I always thought solifuges might be good inspiration for Slaanesh. Bit less cliche than spiders, and a bit creepier imo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

17-05-2015, 14:35
I've caught my pet tarantula drawing chaos star's using her silk, in her tank at times. I just keep looking the other way.

Does it look ... slightly out of focus...?

I agree that Solifugae are creepier (and therefore perhaps more Chaosy). And all Arachnids have too many feet, etc. so I guess you could make them work.