PDA

View Full Version : Homing Fireball

NpSkully
12-05-2015, 17:27
Hi all. I was debating starting an empire army with the homing fireball witch hunter. This strategy involves using a witch hunter with the ruby ring of ruin. Since, according to the FAQ, the witch hunter's killing blow ability applies to the shooting attacks of the witch hunter does this mean that I can use the sniper rule to fireball heroic killing snipe people? I came across this strategy on 1d4 Chan, but their statements are not always correct and I am curious to if shooting attacks for the sniper rule differ from the shooting attacks of spells.

Ahnarras
12-05-2015, 17:38
Well, you can't use that tactic to snipe people with a fireball. The sniper rule only works for shooting, not magic.

But i do agree that the rule says every hit from the witch hunter on his target, so technically, the fireball could have the heroic killing blow.
Frankly, i would say that this is one of the (many) case were GW just didn't think about the witch hunter having access to magic missile. Nothing is against this tactic in the rule, but i wouldn't play someone using that kind of strech.

Not even to mention that giving magic to a guy that is a wizard hunter... well... doesn't fit the fluff much.

Lord Dan
12-05-2015, 18:05
Not even to mention that giving magic to a guy that is a wizard hunter... well... doesn't fit the fluff much.

Sure it does. History is filled with examples of people becoming the very thing they hunt/despise in order to achieve victory, and best part is that the irony is almost always lost on them. It's a rather formulaic process, actually:

Step 1: [Character] becomes sworn enemy of [group] due to [tragedy].
Step 2: [Character] loses initial fight against [group].
Step 3: [Character] does research on strengths and weaknesses of [group], finding [methodologies] that he may employ against them.
Step 4: [Character] uses [methodologies] and is victorious.
Step 5: [Character] uses more [methodologies] and is even more victorious.
Step 6: [Group] is finally overcome, however [character] has inadvertently become the essence of the thing he was seeking to destroy.

In a Warhammer context, this is how you have Witch Hunters in the 40K universe who justify killing Psykers with telekinesis.

Ahnarras
12-05-2015, 18:27
Well... Yeah. Didn't think about the dark vador path.
Still, can't snipe with a spell, even to kill some jedi :p

NpSkully
12-05-2015, 21:17
So then the fireball might not be totally useless. Does the empire book say Heroic Killing Blow? (I do not have the empire book yet) because if so that could be quite snazzy and work on a whole variety of things.

Lord Dan
12-05-2015, 21:38
Killing Blow, and only against the model chosen at the beginning of the game.

NpSkully
13-05-2015, 13:36
Meh... So it would work only on lone cav or infantry characters... Big deal.

rolly_321
14-05-2015, 14:45
It could be useful as a specific counter in a list tailoring circumstance. Not really great in an all comers list.

There are a few armies that love their lone character shenanigans: lizardmen vets/oldbloods on coldones, empire capitus and pegasus bret paladins. Unfortunately, these guys also often have a dragon helm, which makes a fireball useless.

I think they should have made witch hunters a rare unit rather than a character as well cheaper and coming to battle in small groups or with their henchmen 40k style. Give them a bonus vs a specific unit like they did with those toads for those new lizardmen flying things. Ws 4, duel pistols, ambush and killing blow/cause fear against a specific unit would make for a fluffy and more tactically interesting unit.