PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs Help

FoCuZeD
03-07-2006, 10:30
So i just started getting into war hammer 40k and its fun building the units etc. I have some left over weapons and faces. looking on the box i dont see any demonic looking units, and of course there are no instructions either, except for the ones on the side of the box on how to make the 3 different marines, and biker. Do the different weapons i give the soldiers make a difference in their abilities? Also i noticed there are different tribes of my own chaos marines? looking around on the forum makes me believe that if they are from i am so extremly overwhelmed with all this!!!!! and tips for someone just starting out with no clue on how to play? Currently i have the Chaos Space Marine Megaforce, and they have idfferent outfits and demonic looking hands and faces, but no instructions on them...what is the difference if i put a mutant arm on one of the marines? soooo much to do!!!!

1 Abaddon the Despoiler
1 Chaos Space Marine Daemon Prince
1 Chaos Defiler
1 Chaos Rhino
1 Chaos Obliterator
3 Chaos Space Marine Bikers
8 Khorne Berzerkers
12 Chaos Space Marines

Spyrle_106
03-07-2006, 12:15
Get a Chaos Space Marine Codex and Either a Battle for Macragge set or the main rule book for 40K. An issue or two of White Dwarf might help you get a grasp of the game if there is no GW store or other place to watch a few games.

Both the Codex and the BGB (the Big Grey ruleBook) have hobby sections that will give you ideas for assembling and painting your figures.

Don't forget to check the GW website. Plenty of stuff for new guys on there too.

Welcome to the hobby!!!!!

Spyrle.

sigur
03-07-2006, 12:29
Hi and welcome to 40k and Warseer. In your case (Chaos Space Marines), I think that you should invest in the real rulebook, not the box. Also, learn the rules and read your codex before assembling miniatures. Generally, you just can't assemble different miniatures (at least those which have different assembly options) without having any idea of the game. It might look like it's lots of stuff to do, but it's really important otherwise you end up with a bunch of miniatures you won't ever use as what they represent.

Oh, and please use only one exclamation- or question mark at one time, that totally suffices, makes your posts look more mature and people will take your questions more serious.

edit: I just saw that you posted the very same text in the Welcome forums too. This is absolutely unnecessary.

MadJackMcJack
03-07-2006, 13:07
For a guy named Focused, you're not very, are you? :p

Anyways, your best bet is to travel to your nearest GW store and ask the staff there. Most will be more then willing to give you advice on how to assemble your troops. Just make sure you resist their sales pitch. GW staffers are also like used cars salesmen in that they'll try and offload anything on you.

If there's no GW store near you, then http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/getting-started and http://uk.games-workshop.com/chaosspacemarines/getting%2Dstarted/ should help you.

Wraithbored
03-07-2006, 13:14
Hey welcome to the hobby I hope you get to take part in many interesting and fun battles for you and your opponent.

Chem-Dog
03-07-2006, 14:19
So i just started getting into war hammer 40k and its fun building the units etc. I have some left over weapons and faces. looking on the box i dont see any demonic looking units, and of course there are no instructions either, except for the ones on the side of the box on how to make the 3 different marines, and biker. Do the different weapons i give the soldiers make a difference in their abilities? Also i noticed there are different tribes of my own chaos marines? looking around on the forum makes me believe that if they are from i am so extremly overwhelmed with all this!!!!! and tips for someone just starting out with no clue on how to play? Currently i have the Chaos Space Marine Megaforce, and they have idfferent outfits and demonic looking hands and faces, but no instructions on them...what is the difference if i put a mutant arm on one of the marines? soooo much to do!!!!

1 Abaddon the Despoiler
1 Chaos Space Marine Daemon Prince
1 Chaos Defiler
1 Chaos Rhino
1 Chaos Obliterator
3 Chaos Space Marine Bikers
8 Khorne Berzerkers
12 Chaos Space Marines

Welcome to Warseer :D

It is very hard to boil Chaos down to a nutshell, there are nine legions each with a specific and individual look and feel, some worship chaos as a whole and others worship a single one of the main four chaos gods.

Black Legion. The "standard" Chaos space marine army, all rounders with access to everything, their leader is Abbadon. They wear black armour (unsurprisingly, given the name)
Wordbearers. Religeous zealots, these guys are devoted to Chaos as a whole, they can call on innumerable Daemons. they wear dark red armour.
Iron Warriors, these guys are siege masters able to build an impenetrable defence or tear down the defences of their enemies. They wear Grey/silver armour with black and yellow cheverons.
Alpha Legion. These chaps are sneaky, they use cultists to disrupt enemy defences and attack in secret. they wear blue green armour.
Night Lords. Using terror tactics the Night lords excell in attacking at speed, they employ Bikes and jumpacks to deliver a leathal strike . They wear darkest blue armour, detailed with lightning.

The last four are each dedicated to a specific god and bear his favour.

World Eaters. followers of Khorne. The god of war. His followers wear armour of Red, black and brass, they are driven to rage by their patron, referred to as Berzerkers. Blood for the Blood god, Skulls for Khorne.
Deathguard. Devoted of Nurgle, the god of pestilence and decay. Deathguard bear the Mark of nurgle, their bodies and armour a ridlled with disease and decay.
Thousand Sons. Pawns of Tzeench. Tzeench is the master of change and of mutation, he is fond of both the scorceror and politician, the majority of his followers are little more than walking suits or armour, the few who escape this fate are fearsome scorcerors.
Emperor's Children, Slaves of Slaanesh. Slaanesh is the god who knows your innermost desires and grants them to those who would do his bidding, his servants are known as Noise Marines, they use fearsome sonic weaponry to tear apart their enemies, so changed and jaded are they by their god's blessing that only most extreme sensations can affect them.

Each Legion has things it can and can't use and it's as much about personal preference as anything else.

Generally speaking the Mutant parts can be applied instead of the corresponding body part without any effect, they are usually a cosmetic thing.

Hope this helps

FoCuZeD
03-07-2006, 21:15
thanks to all of you you guys are so helpfull =)

ffclubhero
03-07-2006, 21:18
Definetly get the Codex so you're game legal. Also, it'll give you inspiration for what form of Chaos you wish to field (Deathguard for me :) ). Welcome to the Ruinous Powers. :D