PDA

View Full Version : New man's WoC 1100p

Lucidexistence
31-05-2015, 17:08
Hey guys i thought I'd get your input in my 1100p Warriors of Chaos list for my town's format.
Some rules:
No lords,
No named characters
No unit can have more than 35 models or 400points worth
No tripples for cores
No doubles for other units
And additionally:
WoC can't field any model with 3++ or better ward save

After a few first games testing, I've figured out that knights basically suck for their price. I don't want to use skullcrushers since i don't like them (the model, the fluff) So i figured I'd use two blocks of warriors instead. Can this work?

Unnamed1100 Pts - Warriors of Chaos Army

1 Chaos Sorcerer, No Mark; General; Lore of Shadow; Magic Level 1; Chaos Armour; Ruby Ring of Ruin; Enchanted Shield; Luckstone @ 145.0 Pts

1 Exalted Hero of Khorne, MoK; Frenzy; Great Weapon; Chaos Armour; BSB; Scaled Skin; Dawnstone; Helm of Many Eyes; War Banner @ 256.0 Pts

17 Chaos Warriors of Khorne, MoK; Frenzy; Halberd; Chaos Armour; Standard: Musician @ 343.0 Pts

14 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch, MoT; Chaos Armour; Shield; Full Command; Blasted Standard @ 293.0 Pts

5 Chaos Warhounds @ 30.0 Pts

Models in Army: 43

Total Army Cost: 1097.0

GrinningB@est
31-05-2015, 17:27
Yes, that can definitely work. You'll have some issues with fast armies, but Shadow magic will help, as would adding the Banner of Swiftness to one unit. I personally would swap the Tzeentch warriors for some chariots (I recognize you'd have to find somewhere to put the wizard, maybe mark him tzeentch or Slaanesh and put him on a steed or disc and use him as a warmachine hunter as well, swap the enchanted shield for the charmed shield in that case). That's more personal flavor than anything else though.

I would however, definitely swap out the BSB's GW for a halberd. 5 A ASF on I 6 and S 6 is really nasty at any points level.

theJ
02-06-2015, 10:34
After a few first games testing, I've figured out that knights basically suck for their price. I don't want to use skullcrushers since i don't like them (the model, the fluff) So i figured I'd use two blocks of warriors instead. Can this work?
Most certainly - double warrior block has been a staple WoC core for ages, and while adding some sort of speed is recommended, it is not mandatory.

1 Chaos Sorcerer, No Mark; General; Lore of Shadow; Magic Level 1; Chaos Armour; Ruby Ring of Ruin; Enchanted Shield; Luckstone @ 145.0 Pts

1 Exalted Hero of Khorne, MoK; Frenzy; Great Weapon; Chaos Armour; BSB; Scaled Skin; Dawnstone; Helm of Many Eyes; War Banner @ 256.0 Pts

17 Chaos Warriors of Khorne, MoK; Frenzy; Halberd; Chaos Armour; Standard: Musician @ 343.0 Pts

14 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch, MoT; Chaos Armour; Shield; Full Command; Blasted Standard @ 293.0 Pts

First problem = Only two spells. The magic system in this game is really built with the assumption that you'll have a selection of spells to split your dice between. For this reason, I would recommend upgrading your caster to lvl2 as your absolute #1 priority. Trust me, it'll be worth the 35pts.
Second problem... you are spending WAY too much on your characters. 8th ed is all about the troops, and nowhere is this more noticable than with WoC characters, who can and will do just fine without the need for expensive gear - you can even drop the BSB, since the odds of warriors losing combat - ever - is very much negligible, especially at this pointslevel.
What I'd do is run the sorc with "just" lvl2 and either the familiar or ruby ring of ruin, and the exalted hero with just a halberd... stick one in each of your warrior blobs and they should do just fine. You can give the hero a standard as well if you like... 25pts is honestly criminally cheap for an item like that, assuming you would've brought along the hero anyway.

Other good advice include Chimaeras, which are devastating at low pointslevels, while also giving you some much needed mobile punch(you skipped out on the knights/crushers, remember?).

EDIT: Also, question: What kinds of armies are you expecting to face? If there's a lot of fellow warriors and/or ogres, the banner might end up seeing some use, or if there's a lot of sneaky treehugging elves, the chimaera will be a godsend(possibly literally, depending on how you write your fluff :p)

Lucidexistence
02-06-2015, 13:05
Thanks for the input, those are really helpful for me to understand the game better. As for the opponents, I'm almost 100% positive that I can encounter HE (shoot heavy with white lions/w BotWD), WE (shoot heavy), Ogres, O&G, other WoC (Chariots, Disc Heroes and Skullcrushers) and probably a little Skaven or Dwarfs here and there, so that's about the meta I will be probably facing. I've modified the original list a few times so far and this is what I will be testing today:

1 Chaos Sorcerer of Nurgle @ 225.0 Pts
Mark of Nurgle; General; Lore of Nurgle; Magic Level 2; Chaos Armour; Chaos Familiar; Charmed Shield; Daemonic Mount
5 Chaos Knights of Tzeentch @ 250.0 Pts
Mark of Tzeentch; Barding; Ensorcelled Weapons; Chaos Armour; Shield; Standard; Gleaming Pendant; Champion
15 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch @ 290.0 Pts
Mark of Tzeentch; Chaos Armour; Shield; Standard; Banner of Swiftness; Champion
10 Chosen of Tzeentch @ 275.0 Pts
Mark of Tzeentch; Halberd; Chaos Armour; Standard; Blasted Standard; Champion

Models in Army: 41

Total Army Cost: 1100.0

the idea is for the sorcerer to run solo for hunting war machines and buffing the blocks as they slowly roll forward, use dogs as cover and to angle charges, get my 2 blocks on the other side of the board as fast as possible and use knights to hunt small units or possibly get a flank charge with them. What do you think? Also how do you feel abou the Chosen? It's my all-time favorite unit when it comes to the lore and the feeling for the game, so I'd like to include it, but won't 15 warriors do the same job better for the same cost?