PDA

View Full Version : Codex supplements exiting stage right

Herkamer63
01-06-2015, 16:19
Hard to believe codex supplements are going away. First, the Eldar supplement, and now the 2 SM supplements, supposedly. Kind of disappointing to degree because they really were an alternate way to play your current army. The stories were neat as well, despite what others think of them. On the other hand, with mini codices and formations being 2 major factors in the game, they almost make you forget about the supplements. Now, I know some codices have formations that leave a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths *cough* eldar *cough* *cough* (sorry, internet allergies), but some of the formations are cool. The mini codices, however, I believe are what the supplements should have been. Ad Mech is a good example of this, so far. Even though they don't have an official core codex (yet), having these smaller armies with their own rules and pieces of wargear, to me, was the original thought behind the supplements. Money wise, at the same time, it's easier on your wallet when purchasing the book (around $24.00 per book for Ad Mech when purchasing for ebook editions) and it makes it worthwhile when brand new units are being introduced. I don't miss paying $50 for a small set of rules.

I can be wrong in believing that supplements going away entirely. They could make a comeback as long as they drop the price: making it much less than the mini dexes ($5-$15 max). From a game stand point: maybe they're re-working the rules to fit 7th ed and won't come out until after 9th ed Fantasy (whenever that may be is anyone's guess). They're still a lot that's unclear, but, for now, the facts are coming out about the 3 supplements and will invalid for big tournaments. Oh well... Anyway, leave thoughts about the supplements disappearing down below.

The bearded one
01-06-2015, 16:34
I'll be sad if Farsight Enclaves goes away :( Not only some neat rules that can massively change the way you play the army, but also many dozens of pages of new fluff about Farsight's life and the enclaves - and it was pretty good stuff.

El Torro
01-06-2015, 16:35
Though it's annoying for the people that have invested in the supplements I think it makes more sense to have mini codices that can stand alone. It's just too fiddly to update the supplements at the same time as the parent codex. Especially if they're updated every two years!

Herkamer63
01-06-2015, 19:15
[QUOTE=The bearded one;7458564]I'll be sad if Farsight Enclaves goes away :( Not only some neat rules that can massively change the way you play the army, but also many dozens of pages of new fluff about Farsight's life and the enclaves

Same here. By far, IMO, the best supplement GW created. It could be my bias of Tau being my 1st army, but it's hard to argue against this book. The rules, fluff, and wargear was cool, but, for me, the main reason why it was the best is for one particular reason: an all battlesuit army. Whether or not if it did well, it was just an awesome sight to behold. 2 quick thing, and one of them I wasn't even thinking about it until now: the orks, SW, and DE all have 7th ed supplements. I don't know why that didn't occur to me earlier. Maybe 6th ed supplements could become obsolete and could actually get updates to fit 7th ed. That's the first thing.

The second thing, and this can be wishful thinking based off of a rumor of releases: watch for a mini dex on Kroot. As awesome as the Farsight Enclave is, a codex on Kroot would be a hit. Knarloc Riders, Great Knarlocs, Master Shapers, I would like to see some of this stuff make it in a codex. Now, if this happened, don't be surprised if the carnivore squads are pulled from the Tau codex. That is a trend that is, or will however you see it, happening right now, but it would be a chance for these guys to shine.

AngryAngel
01-06-2015, 19:28
Is it really that hard to understand ? GW never sticks to a design choice, I see no reason why people thought supplements would remain. The supplements were basically just mini dexes to begin with, you just needed the core book to use it for rules. Honestly I like the mini dex idea better at least it all is encapsulated within one book then as opposed to needing to for the same effect.

skorczeny
01-06-2015, 19:31
Happy to see supplements go away. 40k could use some streamlining - so cutting down on supplements is a good thing IMO. Perhaps I'm bearing a grudge - the Black Legion supplement was so awful across the board... fluff, rues, art... just miserable.

I think 'mini-dexes' are the future. More sales opportunities for GW that way. Want to play BA? Get the space marine codex and the BA mini codex. Same for DA, BT, etc.

Theocracity
01-06-2015, 19:37
I'll be sad if Farsight Enclaves goes away :( Not only some neat rules that can massively change the way you play the army, but also many dozens of pages of new fluff about Farsight's life and the enclaves - and it was pretty good stuff.

Well, it's not like any of the good fluff from the book becomes irrelevant if they never update the supplement rules for a new edition. And you should still be able to build the fun characters, with the exceptions of the supplement-specific wargear. And I'm sure that a new Tau codex will still support a Farsight style of play, via formations or something else. So I wouldn't worry too much - just enjoy it for what it is / was.