PDA

View Full Version : Playing with movement trays with an edge around them

swordofglass
03-06-2015, 19:24
I am coming round more to the look of 'old style' movement trays with an edge around them, instead of what I currently use (steel sheets cut to the exact size required). It seems that a lot of people use these old-style trays, magnetised or otherwise, but I'm curious as to how you get around the fact that these edges interfere with where a unit is 'supposed to be'. If you've charged an enemy unit and have to stop a few mm away from them due to the front edge of the movement tray, do you play in subsequent turns 'as if' you were really a few mm forwards of your physical position? This could affect the ability of other units to charge you, for example. Is there also a common ruling in tournaments?

Adam_Barrow
03-06-2015, 19:55
If somebody wanted to nitpick that kind of thing with me I'd be done with that game. I'm there to have fun, not micromanage little plastic men.

dagreenmoonboyz
03-06-2015, 19:57
Always use a reference point (measure from the actual base not the tray) consistently. If your always measuring from the same point it will not matter.

Dorn Lysander
03-06-2015, 22:04
It shouldn't really make a difference, i've always treated the edge of the movement tray as the edge of the unit, for everything, charge ranges, deployment, distances. I've never really found it to be a big deal or considered that it could ever turn in to a point of contention.

StygianBeach
04-06-2015, 07:15
I have not had a problem with this yet. When I use edged trays I measure to the base though.

Greyshadow
04-06-2015, 08:08
The rule book gives guidance on this. Just ignore them as much as you can.

Evil Hypnotist
04-06-2015, 08:57
When I first started with fantasy I was making my own movement trays with 0.5" lip on them, which I would base to match my models. When I started doing tournaments a couple of years ago this did cause some issues as people got confused with measuring to tray or to the unit so I swapped out for GW trays. I have always measured to model base, no matter what the size of the tray.

dalezzz
04-06-2015, 09:03
If somebody wanted to nitpick that kind of thing with me I'd be done with that game. I'm there to have fun, not micromanage little plastic men.

this one :)

theunwantedbeing
04-06-2015, 10:23
I am coming round more to the look of 'old style' movement trays with an edge around them, instead of what I currently use (steel sheets cut to the exact size required). It seems that a lot of people use these old-style trays, magnetised or otherwise, but I'm curious as to how you get around the fact that these edges interfere with where a unit is 'supposed to be'. If you've charged an enemy unit and have to stop a few mm away from them due to the front edge of the movement tray, do you play in subsequent turns 'as if' you were really a few mm forwards of your physical position? This could affect the ability of other units to charge you, for example. Is there also a common ruling in tournaments?

You ignore the tray and treat it as best you can as not part of the game.

Usually it'll be 2-3mm at most and while not a hugely significant amount can add up in multiple combats so you need to do a bit of tweaking where the units actually are.
Templates going through combats can be a bit of an issue as well but it's really not all that difficult to shift it 2-3mm in a given direction to hit the unit as it should do if the trays weren't there.

Never base the edge of the base though, it looks terrible :P

mdauben
04-06-2015, 14:13
Always use a reference point (measure from the actual base not the tray) consistently. If your always measuring from the same point it will not matter.

I always use the front edge of the tray as the front edge of the unit. Likewise the side edge. The only place I used the actual bases is for the read of the unit, as that is subject to change as the figures are killed off. Sure, it makes a tiny difference, but as long as you consistenly use the same point to measure from its really not a game changing issue.

HappyCan303
04-06-2015, 15:48
Just be consistent, that's the main thing.

The only time I could see this actually being an issue is if the movement tray were MUCH wider than the unit footprint. This could block charges one way or the other, but that would have to be a pretty extreme example.

SuperHappyTime
04-06-2015, 16:04
It doesn't matter, 9th is coming.

stroller
05-06-2015, 09:37
I've found that using 6'x4' movement trays means I can charge anything, anywhere. Trouble is, I can also be charged....

Seriously however, life is too short for the millimetres involved to be an issue. If it's that close, they made it in, and common sense OUGHT to take account of who fights who in a multiple combat. Common sense? Oh, wait....

popisdead
05-06-2015, 23:07
Locally we measure from bases not movement trays. The rules define things on bases so it becomes inconsequential for movement trays.

Consequently someone locally used to try to play that Cavalry bases were 22.5mm x 50 so when lined up against 50x50 he pulled the advantages where he could :/

dugaal
08-06-2015, 03:51
What about larger models that stick out their weapons, mount heads etc. over the front of their base? Two such units meeting in CC might not be able to touch bases, are these not allowed to enter combat with each other then?
I made movement trays with a small lip because compared to the warriors it isn't that much difference.

Micalovits
08-06-2015, 12:17
you just have to move them as close as you can or maybe turn the large model to face away instead, it is also very easy to figure out how many are in contact with base sizes

Lord Skrolk
08-06-2015, 13:32
Personally, I've always found this to be an annoyance with movement trays. Yes, you can just ignore them and yes, it might only be a few mm. But, people's movement trays vary considerably and imo they lend themselves to a casualness with movement and proximity unit to unit. It can get pretty messy with multiple unit fights, so I will always opt for the smallest edged movement tray possible, preferably exact. So, no to the OP you're not alone in wondering about this.
Call me nit picky, call me a micro manager - but I'm just one of those people that likes to look neat and be precise, well as much as poss.
And yeah, 9th is coming... So it's likely a moot point anywhoo.