PDA

View Full Version : I hate the concept of bikers

Silent Surrender
04-06-2015, 17:18
But I really want to play some Nurgle bikers. Anyone got some good ideas? I was thinking of putting them on super fast slugs instead but then they might be mistaken for cavalry.

Asura Varuna
04-06-2015, 17:36
There's plenty of examples of people using Fantasy Chaos Knights as Bikers. While they're obviously marines riding giant armoured horses, there's nothing else in the CSM codex that they could be confused with, but you should explain them to your opponents before the game just in case. As for slug riders, I'm not really sure what miniature you could use for the slug conversion, unless it's something you could scratch build.

Silent Surrender
04-06-2015, 17:49
Yeah Id just build the slug out of green stuff.

Wesser
04-06-2015, 18:14
I build some from pointy stuff and pieces of a garden hose

AngryAngel
04-06-2015, 19:15
I give to you, biker mice from mars, how can you then still hate bikers ? As well, is there such a thing as super fast slugs ?

Darnok
04-06-2015, 19:41
http://www.games-workshop.com/de-DE/Seuchendrohnen-des-Nurgle

How about these? Put a "Biker" on top, add some appropriate weapons, done.

AngryAngel
04-06-2015, 19:59
Yeah was thinking that as well

popisdead
04-06-2015, 21:30
But I really want to play some Nurgle bikers. Anyone got some good ideas? I was thinking of putting them on super fast slugs instead but then they might be mistaken for cavalry.

Does Nurgle have cavalry as a unit choice? I saw a fantasy Nurgle unit of Blight Kings on Orc Boyz. You could think about that? What about just Chaos Knights but add the proper weaponry and some bitz? 40k is just the Knights Crusade anyway so why complain about knights in it?

mikesmight123
04-06-2015, 21:45
Does Nurgle have cavalry as a unit choice? I saw a fantasy Nurgle unit of Blight Kings on Orc Boyz. You could think about that? What about just Chaos Knights but add the proper weaponry and some bitz? 40k is just the Knights Crusade anyway so why complain about knights in it?

Yes, grandfather has gifted us plague drones to observe his wonderful creations from above.

Baaltor
05-06-2015, 07:27
What don't you like about bikes? The tires, the configuration, the practicality, the 'bikers', or is it the rising cost of promethium? There might be something you could tweak in there to make them not suck.

Also: hoverboards, and centaurs. Or cyborgs too. Or daemonic abberations that are essentially beasts. Depending on why you don't like the bikes, you might be able to make them possessed, or integrated with their rides.

Greyhound
05-06-2015, 07:59
some awesome concepts to motivate you:

I like the third one best :)

totgeboren
05-06-2015, 08:31
One other path to take is to put your nurgly marines on jetbikes (though count-as normal bikes of course). Depending on how good of a sculptor you are you could make some super-cool rotten steampunk jetbikes.
Jetbikes are a lot easier to build yourself than normal bikes, you could even use the plastic GW bike as a base, remove the wheels and then figure something out.

I got to thinking of it because I gave my Lord a jetbike (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?191618-My-Traitor-Guards&p=6841646&viewfull=1#post6841646) and it was much easier to build than what I was expecting it to be. I have also built a bunch of Ork ships to BFG, and really all you need is a good looking exhaust.

Snake Tortoise
05-06-2015, 12:40
I used to really dislike the idea of bikes too, but came round to the idea. Off the battlefield they'd be more practical than transport tanks for difficult terrain and speed, and they could sweep an area better than a single transport which can't split up and spread out. In battle I imagine a wave of bikers breaking through a defensive formation like a cavalry charge, and obviously jumping off their bikes if they have to stop and fight in combat or enter a building, in which case they'd revert to regular tactical marines

Silent Surrender
05-06-2015, 21:43
My dislike for bikes is purely esthetical. What I dont like about bikes is their rigid and undynamic nature. And yes they can go really fast and that is dynamic, but their hull or body, whatever you want to call it, is some of the most unatractive Creations ever. I dont like cars, or vehichles for that matter, for the same reason. Theyre basically long metalic objects with Wheels. So Im afraid this applies to jetbikes as well.

You push a button and they go forward. Nothing like a leg or other graceful growths which move with so much motion and force. The dilemma is recreating the motion of a Wheel, which is very boring, but also very efficient as many have stated already, with something made of flesh, and at the same time not make it look like cavalry.

Thinking about it. Cavalry could be identified as 2 minds, rider and beast, while bikers is just the rider. So maybe the centaur route is the way to go. Maybe snail centaurs or something like that old spawn model. The problem is as many have also stated justifying the speed of the snail.

de Selby
05-06-2015, 22:08
I never liked the idea of bikes in 40k just because it seemed like quite a boring unit type in a fantastical setting. I've come round to them a bit by thinking of them as massive sci-fi ATVs that happen to have two wheels. Jetbikes I'm cool with.

For the avoidance of doubt and because I'm thinking it might look cool and interesting, could you take a chaos bike, remove the wheels and footboards and replace them with one giant rearing slug beast with the weapons, exhausts and other topside bits grafted into it? So the top side is unambiguously functioning as a bike but the underside is unambiguously nurgly?

edit: about the two minds thing: if you graft the forks directly into the sides of the slugs head, they can be lobot slugs :)

Beppo1234
05-06-2015, 22:09
Thinking about it. Cavalry could be identified as 2 minds, rider and beast, while bikers is just the rider. So maybe the centaur route is the way to go. Maybe snail centaurs or something like that old spawn model. The problem is as many have also stated justifying the speed of the snail.

justifying the speed of a snail, pft... who are these people you speak of:

popisdead
05-06-2015, 23:09
I never liked the idea of bikes in 40k just because it seemed like quite a boring unit type in a fantastical setting.

The original concept of the game was a sci fi setting for WWII warfare. That is most likely why we have bikes.

T10
06-06-2015, 10:21
My dislike for bikes is purely esthetical. What I dont like about bikes is their rigid and undynamic nature. And yes they can go really fast and that is dynamic, but their hull or body, whatever you want to call it, is some of the most unatractive Creations ever. I dont like cars, or vehichles for that matter, for the same reason. Theyre basically long metalic objects with Wheels. So Im afraid this applies to jetbikes as well.

You push a button and they go forward. Nothing like a leg or other graceful growths which move with so much motion and force. The dilemma is recreating the motion of a Wheel, which is very boring, but also very efficient as many have stated already, with something made of flesh, and at the same time not make it look like cavalry.

Well, the bike models are what they are: Big blocky Judge Dredd Lawmaster rip-offs. If you are willing to replace them with slugs, how about putting your green-stuff skills to the test by adding or replacing stuff from the basic bike frame? Pustules, cartilage, strips of flesh, bone protrusions and horns. Surely you can impose your own aesthetics and improve on the existing model

Then again it may be a lost cause: Aren't you the guy that posted about your concerns that the new 32 mm bases were "too tall" and wanted our blessing to shave them down a millimeter? You may be seeing problems that simply aren't there.

-T10

Silent Surrender
06-06-2015, 19:55
Yes that is me. Im very obssesive about things.

What do you mean when you say the problems arent there?

Greyhound
07-06-2015, 00:10
If you are concerned snails are too slow you haven't watched the never ending story movies enough. [emoji38]

Baaltor
07-06-2015, 07:45

I totally get this. I'm not a big fan of autmobiles in general, and I find the general fetishism most people have towards them frankly disturbing. ;)

I'm a lot more interested in bikes than other vehicles, and I don't MIND vehicles, but I don't share the itch some people have.

Snail centaurs sounds revolting, so I approve of that. There's also lots of other ways to go with Nergal units. The insect look is a very striking one, and Tyranids can provide inspiration and/or parts. You can also go the visceral route with vampire counts, or the boner way with TK models.

The problem is as many have also stated justifying the speed of the snail.

Chaos did it!

Maybe they glide on aethytrails that remove the friction from surfaces. At any rate, as others have implied: I doubt people will argue with you over it.

I never liked the idea of bikes in 40k just because it seemed like quite a boring unit type in a fantastical setting.

I'm not sure what kind of anarchy you're used to if you consider these things boring, man....

Silent Surrender
07-06-2015, 17:51
Maybe they glide on aethytrails that remove the friction from surfaces. At any rate, as others have implied: I doubt people will argue with you over it.

Omg I love that idea! That would look so strange. I could see the enemy first pointing at them and laughing when all of a sudden the slugs pick up speed, sliding over the ground unpredictably, like a seal slides around on its wet belly. Plague seals.

hazmiter
07-06-2015, 18:07
Its chaos, and nurgle to boot man, sky's the limit for all sorts of filthy conversions.
Want a nurgle biker, why not a mutated marine with a bloated body with spider legs coming out, trailing slime, and innards.
Extra long spidery legs...... Shows the movement he gets.
Theres plenty of stuff to do, the chaos gods would approve of any mutated creation made in their dishonour ;)

Khorneflakes01
08-06-2015, 01:44
You could always use Flesh hounds as mounts, and nurgle them up with conversions.

Konovalev
08-06-2015, 04:00
Just put a few chaos cultists on a rectangular base and have them prop up the "rider" ala Weekend at Bernie's.

Baaltor
08-06-2015, 07:56
Omg I love that idea! That would look so strange. I could see the enemy first pointing at them and laughing when all of a sudden the slugs pick up speed, sliding over the ground unpredictably, like a seal slides around on its wet belly. Plague seals.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed that. :)

There's also lots of modeling/painting options for the slime trail thing. If you chose the do a slime trail, you could just use some gloss of whatever refraction to make its trail look sticky, and/or you could do colours from realistic(blood, Ice, fire... like in back to the future!) to cartoonish (radioactive green/etc, sludge, oil slick), to psychadelic (luminous colour, rainbows, or a glowing wake of screaming souls, etc.)

I'm trying to think of a Tron reference that doesn't sound cheesy.

Also if you ever do a diorama: remember to make at least one of them climbing on a wall. :P

totgeboren
08-06-2015, 08:36
Or have em carried by Nurglings like the Palaquin, except you could sculpt the bottom Nurgling to ride bicycles, like a circus act? You know, like that "Carnival of Chaos" theme for Nurgle from Mordheim?

Though Plague seals sounds pretty awesome too. Ally in some Nurgling bases modelled as seal cubs...

Hmmm...

Flame Boy
08-06-2015, 12:10
When I think of mounted Nurgle units I think of them riding oversized isopods. Woodlice have an association with rotting plants, they look well armoured and have tons of legs, making them look more mobile than a slug creature. Just give their already strange faces a more demonic twist and I'm sure they would make a great alternative to bikes.

ntw3001
08-06-2015, 12:25
Woodlice are a good idea. I was going to suggest millipede centaurs.

Silent Surrender
10-06-2015, 14:28
So many great ideas. When I started the thread It was like I didnt have enough options, now I want to make a whole bunch of different nurgle biker variants. Thanks guys!

hazmiter
10-06-2015, 17:30
^^ variety is the spice of life as some famous person said.
Why not make one of each and have them all mutated in decaying glory, chaos is diverse and it would make the unit catch eyes.

Navar
10-06-2015, 20:02
http://sciborminiatures.com/ makes some great Snails for Nurgle.

They also make some pretty awesome bikes if you decide you do want to go that route.