PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Codex

Heimdallr
06-06-2015, 11:38
Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance but would the new SM codex have an effect on the current chapter specific books? For example: I read on BOLS that Devastators have the slow and purposeful rule but in the BA codex the Devastators do not have this rule.

I'm pretty new at the whole gaming and rule side of things.

Rogue Star
06-06-2015, 11:53
'Codex: Space Marines' will only affect armies based around that rule-set. So stuff like the supplements "Sentinels of Terra" and "Clan Raukaan" will be invalidated until updated. Most other plays will be fine though for friendly gaming to continue using them.

Blood Angels and Dark Angels aren't effected as they are stand alone armies, not supplements. Sadly this does mean until the BA get updated, you might have inferior Devastators, as an example... but hey, the Codex Space Marines don't get Furioso Dreadnoughts or the Death Company, so you gotta roll with the punches.

Hope this helps.

Spiney Norman
06-06-2015, 11:53
In answer to your question, no-one really knows, as far as I know the rumour that Devastators will have slow and purposeful is not confirmed at this stage (and it would surprise me greatly if they did). In addition it would be extremely rare for GW to errata changes to the generic space marine codex back into chapter variant codexes already in print, Dark Angels did not gain grav weapins via FaQ after the 6th edition marine codex came out for example.

T10
06-06-2015, 12:08
Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance but would the new SM codex have an effect on the current chapter specific books? For example: I read on BOLS that Devastators have the slow and purposeful rule but in the BA codex the Devastators do not have this rule.

I'm pretty new at the whole gaming and rule side of things.

Are you sure you are not referring to the Devastator Centurions? This is a unit specific to Codex: Space Marines and is distinct from the Devastators unit common to "generic" Space Marine chapters, Blood Angels and Dark Angels.

-T10

Spiney Norman
06-06-2015, 13:09
Are you sure you are not referring to the Devastator Centurions? This is a unit specific to Codex: Space Marines and is distinct from the Devastators unit common to "generic" Space Marine chapters, Blood Angels and Dark Angels.

-T10

I don't think so, ever since pictures first showed up of the devastators new leg armour there have been wishlisty rumours of them getting S&P.

Hendarion
06-06-2015, 13:16
From the webstore (or was it WD?) description these legs are just "cool" and look like some older Devastator models, but the mechanics inside anchor a marine to the ground. Would rather surprise me if they'd get Slow and Purposeful.

mashkeyboardgetusername
06-06-2015, 14:52
Most people interpret it that supplements to a certain book become invalid once a new version of that book comes out.

However (to possibly open a can of worms) technically the rulebook doesn't actually say anywhere that you have to use the most recent version of a codex, it's just a common sense thing we in the community all do. While saying you're using an older version codex will probably be frowned upon, (and I definitely wouldn't do it,) this does mean that nowhere in the rules does it say sentinels or terra/clan raukaan etc. cannot be used in the current edition.

Heimdallr
06-06-2015, 16:20
It was from someone that had 'skimmed' through the new codex. Obviously it cud be nonsense, I just suddenly thought that if certain units were getting rule changes would that have a knock on effect for not just the suppliments but the stand alone codices.

Beppo1234
06-06-2015, 17:06
I don't think so, ever since pictures first showed up of the devastators new leg armour there have been wishlisty rumours of them getting S&P.

old leg armor, old leg armor. Surprising actually that it took almost 20 years to right that wrong.

gitburna
06-06-2015, 18:36
My recollection of the post was that he said devastators DIDNT get slow and purposeful ? Or am i wrong?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Tapatalk