PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k tier

Cliffisen
06-06-2015, 18:37
I have been looking around Internet for information and thoughts about the current tiers of warhammer 40k tournaments.
I'm wondering what your thoughts are?

It seems to look something like this at the top;

Tier 1 Eldar, Tau and Necrons
Tier 2 grey Knights, Orks, SM, SW, DA,
Tier 3 Nids, Dark Eldar, Sisters, IG, CM,

I'm having trouble putting in the rest of the armies, what are your thoughts on this ?

Spiney Norman
06-06-2015, 18:44
I have been looking around Internet for information and thoughts about the current tiers of warhammer 40k tournaments.
I'm wondering what your thoughts are?

It seems to look something like this at the top;

Tier 1 Eldar, Tau and Necrons
Tier 2 grey Knights, Orks, SM, SW, DA,
Tier 3 Nids, Dark Eldar, Sisters, IG, CM,

I'm having trouble putting in the rest of the armies, what are your thoughts on this ?

I generally think of the current state of 40k as being a 10-tier system

1. craftworld Eldar
2. Necrons
3. -
4. -
5. -
6. -
7. -
8. Tau, Space Marines
9. Orks, Tyranids, Astra Militarum, Dark Eldar, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, daemons of chaos
10. Dark Angels, Chaos Marines, Sisters of Battle

Mini-dexes designed for primarily use as allies like Skitarri, Harlequins, inquisition etc have not been included as they differ significantly from the games main armies and probably should be ranked separately.

Tiers 3 through 7 have been left empty to underline the vast chasm of ingame effectiveness that separates the top two from the rest of the pack.

Cliffisen
06-06-2015, 19:28
You are placing Tau rather far down on the ranking. I have the impression that they are quite he opposite.
Most tournament I reviewed have them finsh top 5.

Bergen Beerbelly
06-06-2015, 20:39
From Torrent of Fire's website.

1. Imperial Knights 65.45%
2. Eldar 56.39%
3. Tau 54.93%
4. Necrons 53.82%
5. Chaos Daemons 53.84%

deathrain-commander
06-06-2015, 20:45
I'd say Sisters are higher up than you give them credit for. I'd put them ahead of Chaos Marines and Dark Angels, probably Dark Eldar, maybe even Orks. They're middle tier, they just lack all the tools they need to take full advantage of their strengths, so they need allies more often than not.

Spiney Norman
06-06-2015, 21:01
You are placing Tau rather far down on the ranking. I have the impression that they are quite he opposite.
Most tournament I reviewed have them finsh top 5.

If you check my ranking Tau are in the top 4 of my list, there is just a massive gap between the top two and the two below them.

Regarding sisters I almost didn't put them on at all because in all honesty they feel like an 'ally dex', they don't have the tools to compete currently, they have no way of combatting flyers at all other than snapfiring exorcists or Meltaguns. If your opponent has flyers your sisters might as well not turn up. I did nearly put DEldar on the bottom rung as well, but in all honesty I do think they have the tools to put up a decent fight, just so long as they're not playing vs tau or CWE.

Losing Command
06-06-2015, 21:13
Yeah Tau needs to be a bit higher up in your list Spiney. I've seen Tau table Necron Decurion lists in 2-3 turns.

A.T.
06-06-2015, 21:19
...so they need allies more often than not.As has been said in the past, the best way to make a sisters of battle army stronger is to take less sisters of battle...