PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Knights, what you wish was in it.

cuda1179
07-06-2015, 01:29
I personally believe that the new Imperial Knights codex was an incredible improvement over the old one. We now have several different weapon options, Warlord traits, formations, and relics.

That being stated, I really do think that there were options that would have made this codex PERFECT. My list of items, in no particular order:

1.Some kind of different hull for a knight. Something heavier, and definitely different looking. Perhaps with a change of weaponry that only appears on this variant.

2. Being able to take the same weapon twice on the same Knight. I may very well want a 300 point knight with two Reaper Chainswords, or a stand-off knight with two Battle Cannons, or a Dakka-knight with two Avenger Gatling cannons.

3. More weapon options. A plasma Cannon arm, or being able to mount an Icharus Lascannon on the top would have been nice.

Is there anything else anyone would have liked to see?

Hellix_The_Thanatar
07-06-2015, 02:32
I personally believe that the new Imperial Knights codex was an incredible improvement over the old one. We now have several different weapon options, Warlord traits, formations, and relics.

That being stated, I really do think that there were options that would have made this codex PERFECT. My list of items, in no particular order:

1.Some kind of different hull for a knight. Something heavier, and definitely different looking. Perhaps with a change of weaponry that only appears on this variant.

2. Being able to take the same weapon twice on the same Knight. I may very well want a 300 point knight with two Reaper Chainswords, or a stand-off knight with two Battle Cannons, or a Dakka-knight with two Avenger Gatling cannons.

3. More weapon options. A plasma Cannon arm, or being able to mount an Icharus Lascannon on the top would have been nice.

Is there anything else anyone would have liked to see?

Yes, the warden gun makes me sour. The castigator already had an amazing 36" range marine shredding gun. For the warden to get such a similar gun makes me frustrated. It is BETTER than the castigator in a lot of ways (like rending!) 1 less strength typically does not make a difference against the targets you want to shoot at. And any formation with the new gun it is obvious to make either a warden or crusader the baron to get even MORE hits with that dakka machine. I wish it was more like a laser gatling cannon, something that absolutely SHREDS void shields and light/medium armor. I would have given it Heavy 6 str9 AP2 rng 48". The warden is suppose to be a semi-retired badass who can handle the big guns from long range. This would have given him an amazing new roll that no other knight filled.

Knights deserved at least one ranged D weapon. The crusader was always armed with a quake cannon. Maybe in the future we will get a real castellan with proper gun options.

Honestly the Horus Heresy series just does knights better. Letting you lower points and stats for troops, or buy seneshal. There are actually fast attack, elite and heavy support knights that pretty much all have sweet perks. Here is hoping they update the knights list to include the new variants and some new abilities.

deathrain-commander
07-06-2015, 03:01
I personally would have liked some sort of upgrade you could give to a knight in an Oathsworn detachment, based on what army they're allying with. Like, a Sisters allying Knight gets a 6++ and Adamantium Will, a Space Wolves one would get Counter Attack, that sort of thing. It wouldn't have to be huge, but it could really help make an army more unique and specific.

cuda1179
07-06-2015, 06:37
I'll add one more thing to my wish list: Special Characters. GW all ready had two special character knights with rules, Gerantius and the Obsidian Knight. Would it have killed them to include at least one of those guys?

jeffersonian000
07-06-2015, 12:53
The new Imperial Knights codex is really just one Knight chassis with different weapon options. A lot more weapon options, netting dozens of different combinations, which is great.

What did I want to see? Three different chassis, one Light, one Medium, one Heavy. The Light chassis would have slightly different stats, faster movement rules, slightly less weapon options. The Medium chassis would be exactly what we got. The Heavy chassis would have slightly different stats, movement rules based on its role (HQs are fast like Lights, similar weapons load, better stats; Heavies are slower, mount more weapons or artillery, higher AV).

My hopes are for C:IK 3.0 when a new kit is released that adds a new chassis. Technically, the FW Cerastus chassis is a "Heavy" chassis, but it's not the chassis I want to see.

SJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Rose
07-06-2015, 15:34
I'd have rather liked to see a similar setup to the Forge World Knight list where you can buy "ranks" for individual knights that grant them additional abilities and also push them into a Role type slot so you can use them in a regular CAD or other Detachment.

BillyBones
07-06-2015, 20:11
Well I have to say that I don't know what to do with that codex. I mean playing against an army with one knight as LOW is quite OK, I would have hard time taking it down, but I could manage it, but if there would have been 5 knights, than I'm screwed because a half of my army wouldn't even be able to scratch them. I would have to kit my list against them which is a thing I don't like to do.

Col. Tartleton
08-06-2015, 02:48
A more complete book with Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii, and Knights together.

I mean 5 knights is kind of silly as an army. :angel:

It's like running a Leman Russ company. It's a skew list and it's usually going to smash a balanced list.

Mawduce
08-06-2015, 06:10
A more complete book with Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii, and Knights together.

I mean 5 knights is kind of silly as an army. :angel:

It's like running a Leman Russ company. It's a skew list and it's usually going to smash a balanced list.

Considering they just came out with a knight codex not that long ago... who knows what they're thinking. But I did see a review where they showed the whole on top of the knight kit when it first came out, so they had an idea about this a long time ago. just goes to show what they think of you

Disposable Hero
08-06-2015, 06:13
^ amen, brother.

Wesser
08-06-2015, 08:38
I remember an old rule from the WD Armoured Company list called "Lucky Glancing Hits".

A weapon (which can't hurt the Knight - like a shoota) that rolls "6" on AP (still not enough) gets to roll again with another "6" causing a glancing hits representing dakka finding a weak spot.

A squad of 20 orks or 10 Space Marines rly must be allowed at least some chance of hurting their enemies

T10
08-06-2015, 08:53
I'll add one more thing to my wish list: Special Characters. GW all ready had two special character knights with rules, Gerantius and the Obsidian Knight. Would it have killed them to include at least one of those guys?

Agreed.

-T10

GrandmasterWang
08-06-2015, 14:49

Those 2 already have published rules (which can still be used right? )

So I don't want a simple repeat/copy and paste of them.

I do however love reading about special characters and wish they had brought in 5+ brand new ones to the new Knight book with fun back stories and some minor/major buffs/tweaks for a reasonable points cost.

As there are so few units in the Codex fleshing it out with special characters (5+) would have added a lot of value to it in my estimation.

With the knightly households etc Imperial Knights are just crying out for more special characters.

When I pick up a new Codex reading about the special characters is one of my favorite parts

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk