PDA

View Full Version : pre heresy armour in Australia

dwarf114
07-06-2015, 03:56
Any Australians know any where to buy pre heresy marines besides forge world? I would buy for FW if it didnt cost so much.

Spiney Norman
07-06-2015, 14:40
Any Australians know any where to buy pre heresy marines besides forge world? I would buy for FW if it didnt cost so much.

Buying forgeworld models from recasters is illegal and discussion of such is against forum rules, you can get some perheresy armour components from GWs plastic sets but they are scattered across the range.

There is one MkIV backpack in the new assault marine box (to my knowledge it is then first time we've had a plastic MKIV backpack)
The Sanguiniary guard box has 5 MKiv jump packs
There are a few mkIV helms and armour pieces scattered across the vanguard and sternguard veteran pack, I think there is a MkIV helm in the assault marine box too.
MkVI is much more plentiful but it's still mixed in here there and everywhere.

There are rumours flying around that GW will make a plastic horus heresy starter game, but they've been knocking around for a while now with no real evidence to support them and no real indication of when it might happen, so who knows.

Metacarpi
07-06-2015, 15:51
In addition to what Spiney said, I find taking it slow with Forgeworld to be extremely satisfying - a pack of 5 MK[whatever] troops... Take your time painting them up.... A pack of [whatever] bolsters and chapter upgrade bits... Add them and take time over them... Repeat

Spiney Norman
07-06-2015, 19:03
In addition to what Spiney said, I find taking it slow with Forgeworld to be extremely satisfying - a pack of 5 MK[whatever] troops... Take your time painting them up.... A pack of [whatever] bolsters and chapter upgrade bits... Add them and take time over them... Repeat

This is absolutely true, I began collecting a Word Bearers Legion in January and I am just about rounding the 1000pt mark, painting up my second troop squad. It's expensive to be sure, especially if you live abroad (I am fortunate to living within striking distance of WHW so I usually pick up my toys in person on the way to somewhere else), but their models do make the citadel stuff look like happy meal toys.

lollie123
08-06-2015, 13:48
Buying forgeworld models from recasters is illegal and discussion of such is against forum rules, you can get some perheresy armour components from GWs plastic sets but they are scattered across the range.

There is one MkIV backpack in the new assault marine box (to my knowledge it is then first time we've had a plastic MKIV backpack)
The Sanguiniary guard box has 5 MKiv jump packs
There are a few mkIV helms and armour pieces scattered across the vanguard and sternguard veteran pack, I think there is a MkIV helm in the assault marine box too.
MkVI is much more plentiful but it's still mixed in here there and everywhere.

There are rumours flying around that GW will make a plastic horus heresy starter game, but they've been knocking around for a while now with no real evidence to support them and no real indication of when it might happen, so who knows.

That is actually false there is no legislation to prevent someone from purchasing from any sort of re-caster, what there is legislation is to maintain copyright integrity, which means you could not recast it yourself, that does not however prevent you from acquiring recast models be it from eBay, gifts or whatever sites recasters might use. Of course recasts notoriously are of lesser quality than the original model so in that they likely aren't worth it.

Metacarpi
08-06-2015, 16:00
This is absolutely true, I began collecting a Word Bearers Legion in January and I am just about rounding the 1000pt mark, painting up my second troop squad. It's expensive to be sure, especially if you live abroad (I am fortunate to living within striking distance of WHW so I usually pick up my toys in person on the way to somewhere else), but their models do make the citadel stuff look like happy meal toys.

I'm in a similar position - I have to drive past WHW every day to and from work, and with the new FW store.... payday is gonna require some serious willpower!

Beppo1234
08-06-2015, 16:31

I would argue that this is a perspective that should also be applied to GW. If you put the time in, the models will turn out great, regardless of the source. I think a fair rule of thumb here is about $10/day... ie. if a model cost $100, one should spend about 10 days working on it etc.

Spiney Norman
08-06-2015, 18:47
I would argue that this is a perspective that should also be applied to GW. If you put the time in, the models will turn out great, regardless of the source. I think a fair rule of thumb here is about $10/day... ie. if a model cost $100, one should spend about 10 days working on it etc.

The problem I've found with GW is that their rules are so unbalanced, unstable and changeable that by the time I've finished an army most of the units I bought are now unusable (esp with codexes now lasting around 2 years or less) and I need to buy new ones if I actually want to play. Forgeworld does a much better job of designing balanced rules in the first place, and their books tend to last longer than GW's.

Beppo1234
08-06-2015, 19:17
The problem I've found with GW is that their rules are so unbalanced, unstable and changeable that by the time I've finished an army most of the units I bought are now unusable (esp with codexes now lasting around 2 years or less) and I need to buy new ones if I actually want to play. Forgeworld does a much better job of designing balanced rules in the first place, and their books tend to last longer than GW's.

we're talking collecting and modelling her aren't we, not rules speed. The amount of effort put in the modelling stage for the 'average gamer' is quite small, and poor. So again, if everyone put in a day for every $10 they spend on GW/FW, we'd be in a much more colorful world, and not so much of a grey/black world. That's a plastic tactical squad a week, which is still on the fast side, even with GW accelerated book schedule.

Spiney Norman
08-06-2015, 19:37
we're talking collecting and modelling her aren't we, not rules speed. The amount of effort put in the modelling stage for the 'average gamer' is quite small, and poor. So again, if everyone put in a day for every $10 they spend on GW/FW, we'd be in a much more colorful world, and not so much of a grey/black world. That's a plastic tactical squad a week, which is still on the fast side, even with GW accelerated book schedule.

No offence but the time I can afford to give to painting is fairly small, I'm lucky if I can get a ten man tactical squad painted in a month, let alone a week, my painting output for the month of May was one deimos pattern predator, that was it. I don't play with unpainted models by choice so the gw release schedule is too fast for me, and the way the rules see-saw between editions means the units I am buying and painting now could be completely worthless by the time I get them to the table.