PDA

View Full Version : OK, so i had this idea. ... (hidden esculation)

MasterDecoy
07-06-2015, 09:28
Don't know if this has been suggested before but what is the general feeling towards this type of game mode.

You choose a points limit (say 1.5k) Essentially you have hidden lists to stay with (written down of course), but you only come to the table with 2 troops and 1hq planned (say a hive tyrant and 2 flesh Gant Broods for tyranids for example clocking in at 400 points),

but have a side board of unit cards ready (of basically anything you might possibly want to bring), and at the end of your turn you decide what re-enforcments to add to your army list and they enter your reserves pool for the start of your next turn, as long as it won't exceed the points restriction of the game.

Would this enhance or detract from the tactical aspect? It obviously favors a player with the larger collection, but say between two players with vast collections already.

Would you feel less like you had lost or won a game in the list building past of the game if you where aloud to tailor your list mid game based of off the current circumstances?

Do you feel those sub par units that are to situational would see more play if you where aloud to put them into your list because that situation was happening right now?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

dashzed
07-06-2015, 17:30
I have been thinking about this exact idea, as I think it would curtail a lot of the army imbalances.

Friedrich von Offenbach
08-06-2015, 03:38
I like this idea as it would make a fun scenario, although I wouldn't play it every time. My only thought is that the reinforcements you bring on would probably mostly have to be fast moving or deep striking. If you bring something on on your edge and your opponent bring something on on their edge, it will take a while for them to reach each other (if a table width of say 4' your looking at perhaps two turns). This means you might need to run a longer game, but i guess it depends on armies and units used

Formerly Wu
08-06-2015, 04:47
I could see this being fun for players who are used to/enjoy deck-building style games, where concepts like trading and countering are important, and the narrative of a game is just flavor. For me, the narrative is why I play, so this would affect immersion a lot.

I also agree with Von Offenbach that you would need to make some adjustments to deployment or game length to account for the constant flow of reserves.

MasterDecoy
08-06-2015, 10:25
Wouldn't this make transports more useful/thematic?

Retrospectus
08-06-2015, 14:34
is there a limit to how many points you bring on at once?

MasterDecoy
08-06-2015, 21:13
Well, what you choose to add goes into reserves, so you still have to roll for it, and if you commit to much at once your opponent may be able to bring in the exact counter next turn. ...

But no

Charistoph
08-06-2015, 21:42
One thing to also consider, some army builds do not have access to Troops, some don't have access to HQs, and some won't have either, so a consideration will be needed for them to bring a minimum force on to the table.

MaliGn
10-06-2015, 20:10
Just switch the starting force to 1/3 of the points total as a maximum, could work nicely as an attacker-defender setup, where the defender starts with 1/3 and the attacker with half or 2/3.

As originally stated it's hpw I try and build units and lists, so that it would be easy to switch units out depending on mission or opponent.