PDA

View Full Version : Best Allies for Astra Militarium (Imperial Guard)?

ManhattanGrey
08-06-2015, 18:49
I'm returning to 40k since 5th edition with my old Guard Army and the new ally system sounds great.

I always hated how when my Guardsmen got assaulted they were pretty much all dead without even hurting the assaulting Space Marines. The Orgyns never were that great and super expensive.

If we're looking for some "counter-assault melee" options to cover our flaws in a Guard army what are the best allies for guard?

OR

Should I just ignore having assault options of my own and just take a Imperial Knight Paladin instead as an ally? ;)

Charistoph
08-06-2015, 21:46
Knights are good, and can focus attention away from your Tanks, but if Counter-Assault is the game, Space Wolves would be a top choice. Skitarii might help, too, but I don't know enough about them to recommend them straight out.

El Torro
08-06-2015, 22:49
The Inquisition make great allies for any Imperial force. If you're specifically looking at melee support then an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with rad and / or psychotroke grenades in a unit of Death Cult Assassins and Crusaders will do it.

Failing that some Space Marines I guess, though you'll probably end up spending more points that way. Maybe even some Eldar Aspect Warriors could make good melee allies.

Flipmode
09-06-2015, 00:16
Ruststalkers for ad mech seem fun and should fit the bill. Fast, tough, funky rules.

Mawduce
09-06-2015, 00:33
I would argue Adeptus Mechanicus

Friedrich von Offenbach
10-06-2015, 04:06
I'm returning to 40k since 5th edition with my old Guard Army and the new ally system sounds great.

I always hated how when my Guardsmen got assaulted they were pretty much all dead without even hurting the assaulting Space Marines. The Orgyns never were that great and super expensive.

If we're looking for some "counter-assault melee" options to cover our flaws in a Guard army what are the best allies for guard?

OR

Should I just ignore having assault options of my own and just take a Imperial Knight Paladin instead as an ally? ;)

When you say your guardsmen get assaulted and killed in melee by marines, just what exactly are we talking about? Khorne bezerker marines or ultramarine tatical marines and assaulting 10 guardsmen or 50?

I find that squads of 30 with a commissar are quite good. The commissar's stubborn rule, leadership and executions means that you have to kill the whole squad rather than just make them flee and then run them down. This means it takes along time to cut through a 30 man squad and even if you don't damage them in return, you are typically holding off a more expensive squad which gives time to get shooting units into position to deal with them. I am however of the opinion though that really you should be asking why are my guardsmen being assaulted in the first place and why haven't i killed the enemy before they reach my units.

lordbeefy
10-06-2015, 08:31
Am rustalkers...they even have the same faction initials as guard. The models are gorgeous too.