PDA

View Full Version : The New Marine Battleforces

SuperHappyTime
10-06-2015, 00:26
I don't like them. :(
(The pricing is poor, but lets save that for the Price Thread.)

I think my big issue is we are exchanging a Rhino, a Scout Squad, an Assault Squad, and another combat squad for a Captain and a Dreadnought.

I love the Dreadnought.
I love the Captain and the fact the Battleforce can be played as is (Fits the CAD).

I hate how this doesn't look like an army. This just looks like a combat squad. Hell, it isn't even 500 points.

[/Rant] Anyone else with thoughts?

Althenian Armourlost
10-06-2015, 01:07
I hate the fact that 2 of them cannot form the core of an army.

In the previous one, 2 boxes could make 2 tactical squads in rhinos, a full assault squad and a 10 man devastator squad (if you ordered the heavy weapons from forgeworld). That was a genuine value product - a glorious rarity for GW. This is how I added marines to my guard army when the allies matrix came in, and they are the core of my small marine collection ever since.

These new boxes are ****-poor in comparison, I agree.

Grombrindal
10-06-2015, 01:36
It is a way to sell the captain sprue and the dreadnought sprue.

Dreads have gone out in favour of podding sternguard, especially with the Vehicle Damage Chart and how easy it is to kill AV.

I know exactly 3 people who have bought the Captain sprue, and local gw has only sold 15 since he worked there, its been 12 years, not sure when it came out.

When you can make a hq from the normal box, or get 4 of them for similar price off of the webstore, why buy a kit that offers you stuff you get in the basic marine box?

On the topic of points value, isnt the guard one also stupidly low?

Emperor Karl Franz
10-06-2015, 02:17
That Ultramarines Battleforce would've been better if they'd put an Assault Squad and Devastator Squad box instead of the Captain and Dreadnought.

The Marshel
10-06-2015, 06:31
imo (and i believe this was the core design concept of earlier battleforces) battleforces should build the core of your army. You should be able to buy one and be able to play a small game if you also grab a hq. buying 2 ought to give you a solid force. being able to get value out of buying them repeatedly is a highly desirable trait.

having a HQ in the set is a huge negative for me. having a clam pack hq qith no real option for customising it is way worse. At least the other plastic captain provides you with heaps of bits to spread across the army.

duffybear1988
10-06-2015, 14:12
Worst value (in money and units) battleforces EVER!!!

H3L!X
10-06-2015, 14:19
This Box in addition to the old one would be a good deal o think

MajorWesJanson
10-06-2015, 14:20
I miss Megaforces.

InstantKarma
11-06-2015, 19:33
I remember back in 3rd Ed the Tau Battleforce; it was such a steal in terms of real $$$ and points for your army.

2 Fire Warrior Squads, 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 1 Devilfish and 12 Kroot. I bought two boxes and quickly had a basic Mech Tau army right from the start. I added a Stealth Team, a few more Crisis suits and a Hammer head and had a decent force. I was a teenager at the time too, so I wasn't making as much from working part time and the fact that I could do that back then, but can't now (both due to $$$ and the composition of the boxes) bothers me a lot.

Arguably, the DV Dark Angels is a much better deal for getting basics for an army. My buddy and I both bought a box (with the LE Chappy) and he took all the Chaos and I took all the DAs, so basics for a DA army were in place from the start.

BillyBones
11-06-2015, 20:36
I remember back in 3rd Ed the Tau Battleforce; it was such a steal in terms of real $$$ and points for your army.

2 Fire Warrior Squads, 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 1 Devilfish and 12 Kroot. I bought two boxes and quickly had a basic Mech Tau army right from the start. I added a Stealth Team, a few more Crisis suits and a Hammer head and had a decent force. I was a teenager at the time too, so I wasn't making as much from working part time and the fact that I could do that back then, but can't now (both due to $$$ and the composition of the boxes) bothers me a lot.

Arguably, the DV Dark Angels is a much better deal for getting basics for an army. My buddy and I both bought a box (with the LE Chappy) and he took all the Chaos and I took all the DAs, so basics for a DA army were in place from the start.

I bought two 4th edition Tau battle forces as they were also really great, if I remember it correctly, it was 12 FW, 12 kroots, 3 stealthsuits, 1 crisis and a devilfish plus tons of drones. Now they have changed it to 3 crisis, 12 FW and a Piranha, not bad either and I relly wander what they will do next.

With the new battle forces I would really like to see them as a base for building the core detachment of the new style FOC, so it would be something like 15 regular marines, unit of bikes, 5 devastators and maybe a HQ. For Necrons it would be 20 warriors, 5 immortals and 3 bikes and again maybe with a lord. For eldar 30 guardians, a warwalker, a viper, an artillery battery (+HQ).