PDA

View Full Version : Rules on Supplement Factions allying with your own faction. Haemonculus vs Regular DE

ManhattanGrey
10-06-2015, 15:04
There seem to be an interesting rule where you CANNOT take an allied detachment that is your own faction.

If I ran the Dark Eldar Haemonculus Coven Codex as my primary army (to get those juicy warlock traits rolls instead of the medicore regular Dark Eldar table) I apparently cannot take an allied detachment of regular Dark Eldar of 1 HQ and 1 Troop but I MUST take a regular CAD of 1 HQ and 2 Troops.

Can I confirm this? Because Dark Eldar Warriors don't really fit in my army and I certainty do not want to take more than 1 of them. I am mainly taking the regular Dark Eldar for the scourges as Haemonculus Coven has basically ZERO Anti-Tank apart from tail weapons on the pain engines.

Any clarification would be helpful! (Also recommendations on Anti-Tank for pure Coven lists will be appreciated too.)

BigHammer
10-06-2015, 16:27
You certainly don't need to take a CAD in any army ever. If you want to add some regular Dark Eldar to a Haemonculus Covens army, though, you have two options; the CAD, as you say, or the Realspace Raiders detachment in the DE book.

Also remember that you can usually just roll on the Warlord traits tables from the rulebook, or take a particular formation to gain the trait you want exactly in the case of the Covens book, if you aren't satisfied with the DE traits (can't blame you for that one).

Charistoph
10-06-2015, 17:09
You certainly don't need to take a CAD in any army ever. If you want to add some regular Dark Eldar to a Haemonculus Covens army, though, you have two options; the CAD, as you say, or the Realspace Raiders detachment in the DE book.

Not entirely true for every army, but definitely true for any 7th Edition codex. Many of the 6th Edition codices are still limited to CAD and AD, lacking even dataslate Formations to work with. Those are being phased out as 7th Edition progresses now, though.

ManhattanGrey
10-06-2015, 20:43
Ok so its not even worth it then.

Any suggestions on Anti-Tank in a pure Haemonculus Coven list?