PDA

View Full Version : Most Unusual Proxies

ffclubhero
03-07-2006, 19:10
The 'Saddest Battle' thread got me thinking about unusual proxy models players have seen.

Personally, I've used the lids to Chinese food containers to represent Drop Pods (or at least the area they might take up).

Anyone else?

robertsjf
03-07-2006, 19:13
Not seen but I've read in a thread I started about a Dr Pepper can acting as a Carnifex....

Zakuza
03-07-2006, 19:23
You haven't seen sad until you've seen polly pocket pieces representing Nid's.
Although it was oddly appropriate.
>:D

cerealkiller195
03-07-2006, 19:28
you haven't played fantasy till you use empty movement trays w/ a piece of tape denoting what the unit is... Not just for a proxy unit... FOR A WHOLE ARMY!

Tooooon
03-07-2006, 19:32
I used a box of cigarettes and party poppers at a 40th birthday party once against 2pences and a glass..... Yeah, it was a good party! :D

Oberon
03-07-2006, 19:34
SM combat squad box(was it three or five models, can't remember) as a ork battle wagon, in a tourney(~30 players). What's more, he put it sideways, so the thin side was to ground->about 2" wide battle wagon. He was such a n00b I let it go, he got massacred anyway :angel:

n00bLord
03-07-2006, 20:13
A friend used mini graves as missles once. I have used CD cases for movement trays in fantasy, but nothing too weird.

SpikeyFreak
03-07-2006, 20:17
Not seen but I've read in a thread I started about a Dr Pepper can acting as a Carnifex....
My group is just getting started after about a 10 year haitus.

Anyway, Saturday one guy didn't realize he actually needed a drop pod model to use a drop pod, so he grabbed my Coke Zero can and used that.

--Still Laughing Spikey

giner
03-07-2006, 20:21
Cans as killa kanz it's great.

Warboss Grimmtoof
03-07-2006, 20:31
Some young kid sold his leman russ for 5 bucks, and tried to use the box it came in as the russ! He argued that he payed 40 dollars for a tank and he sold one part and was using the other. He also tried to proxy a tonka truck as a baneblade and plastic army men as troops. Yeah, he got thrown out...:p

Latro_
03-07-2006, 20:40
and heres me thinking i was bad for using meltas as plasmas one game while testing a tactic.

i did use a tree once as a landspeeder, because the landspeeder fell off the table and broke.

x-esiv-4c
03-07-2006, 20:40
a lego leman russ demolisher....weak.

kortholaxthedamned
03-07-2006, 20:49
a guy who had a Necromunda gang made up of a mix match of tau, marine and about 3 necromunda models

intellectawe
03-07-2006, 20:53
in second ed my friends and I used pennies as termaguants and styrophoam bricks as tanks.

it also seems that many of you disdain the use of proxies like its dirty. Well,s ome people dont feel like dropping 300 bucks on units that turn out ot be crap.

Rabid Bunny 666
03-07-2006, 21:05
Artillery Dice for Ogres in Fantasy. Not my fault, the kid i was borrowing them off got banned mid-game.

Zingraff
03-07-2006, 21:41
My first Leman Russ was actually a die-cast Trabant, roughly 1:25 in scale, but proportionally at the same size as the Leman Russ, with a large ballpoint pen taped to the bonnet to represent the gunbarrel.

Also, most of my guardsmen were poorly painted Bretonnian bowmen, but that I suppose isn't all that bad.

GamesmasterZ
03-07-2006, 21:42
I think 'proxy' models are okay in some games.

Say you're debating whether to add a model onto your army, yet you want to see how it plays in a game. Instead of dropping $45 for **** that sucks in the game, you realized that it sucked when you used a paint pot. Cost? Nothing, save for a little dignity.

Proxied Models - Justified.

Andrew-

Overlord Krycis
03-07-2006, 22:21
A German-English dictionary representing a Land Raider Crusader...it was just sad.
I've seen quite a few LEGO proxy models that looked dead cool though...Lego Dreadnought just looked so cool!

n00bLord
03-07-2006, 22:44
I feel sorry for the kid selling his rus for 5 bucks, and I bet the guy who bought it was laughing when he got away with it. I recall now using pennies as skeles for fantasy as well as extremely expensive statue homes for houses once.

Latro_
03-07-2006, 22:47
Some of the smellies at our store used to use 40k models as Inq characters.
Their dole money dont stretch to models that big.

Captain Optimus Metallus
03-07-2006, 22:48
A friend of mine used to use a game cartridge from the original Nintendo 8-bit system as a Rhino.

BrightFame
03-07-2006, 22:58
My best mate used four cans of Pepsi as drop pods - but with a stroke of genius he used Pepsi Max cans as drop-podding dreadnoughts and normal cans as Grey Hunter squads.

Gods I got slaughtered that game! :)

Decius
03-07-2006, 23:04
During a game of Inquisitor, I used Imperial Guard models to represent bar patrons, catachans as bouncers, and tau fire warriors as the female bar patrons and dancers. That was a crazy game.

Sorry to those of you who play tau.

Johnny Bravo
03-07-2006, 23:07
I've heard stories of a block of cheddar cheese* being used in place of a Land Raider Crusader. :D

* - I really did! This is not a dig at Marines or LRs. :)

Luna de hierro
03-07-2006, 23:44
I once saw a couple of space marines units, without arms... not painted... with a couple of paper red dots representing the heavy weapons. :eyebrows:

Corn Berserker
04-07-2006, 00:56
It may not be 40k but a mate of mine always insists on playing out the battle of Trafalgar with matchsticks as the boats on pub/club tables. The pack of fags against 2p coins reminded me of such drunken antics.

Kensai X
04-07-2006, 01:49
I once proxied an entire nid swarm army with 3 halloween size bags of M&M's using different colors to represent different types of nid' and oreos were used to represent warriors, gumdrops=genestealers, and a coke can as the Hive Tyrant. I was against an IG army and sustained plenty of casulties on my side, but it was alright because I was really hungry and I still won the game...

Colonel_Kreitz
04-07-2006, 02:20
One of my friends is a 'nid player, so, naturally, he has about 5,000 gaunts. Whenever he needs a proxy for any infantry sized model, he represents them with guants.

This got very amusing when he didn't have enough marines, so there were 4 Dark Angels standing next to a half dozen gaunts, fighting Imperial Guard.

blackroyal
04-07-2006, 02:43
This got very amusing when he didn't have enough marines, so there were 4 Dark Angels standing next to a half dozen gaunts, fighting Imperial Guard.

I've had it where the Marines were Hormaguants. They were Black Templar ccw'ed so it wasn't much of a stretch.This was before I got my "5000" guants.

I also once used a Kleenex box as a Rhino... :o

salty
04-07-2006, 03:26
It may not be 40k but a mate of mine always insists on playing out the battle of Trafalgar with matchsticks as the boats on pub/club tables. The pack of fags against 2p coins reminded me of such drunken antics.

SHIPS! MATCHSTICKS AS SHIPS DAMN YOU!

Sorry. The gf always calls them "boats" and as a history, and, in particular, Navy buff, I feel obliged to correct you. Now dont do it again. Or else... :evilgrin:

Anyways... I let someone use Lizardmen Saurus Warriors (the old ones, that were 5 for 8 Saurus Warriors or 10 Skinks) as mutants for his LatD army. They were my Lizardmen too. Quite fitting though I thought.

Salty :)

AdonMalik
04-07-2006, 03:27
Before the Wave Serpent model was released I used an old Betamax tape box as one. It actually fit my whole Fire Dragon squad inside too :p .

salty
04-07-2006, 03:40
:D So like an extra-big movement tray then?

Also, we (my brother and I) once used cardboard toilet roll tubes as the Emperor and Horus during a battle using some House Rules for Primarchs and the Heresy etc.

It was terrible and forced me to make some (crap) conversions.

Salty :)

MrLiy
04-07-2006, 04:21
when I first started and only made $6.15 an hour in high school with a car and insurance payment... I once played a game with 12 red dice representing the 12 heavy bolters in my guard army. (Dont worry the official dice where white)

Codsticker
04-07-2006, 04:50
One of my opponents once used two coke cans as Wraithlords. He also asked if the bag of Doritos blocked LOS. :p

mkerr
04-07-2006, 06:23
Last week I saw a wooden Tiki god as a Carnifex. I thought it was a good luck charm until the guy started moving it...

20th Century Boy
04-07-2006, 07:52
We used sheets of paper who claimed "I'm a tank" for a couple of games. At least we had the courtesy to bend the edges upwards to give a slight three dimensional impression... ;) I once proxied some Landspeeders the same way by sticking cardboard onto a flying base.

Ravenous
04-07-2006, 08:12
a paper dark eldar army, as in he had the black bases and a piece of paper with a dark eldar warrior/incubi drawn (poorly) on it, the raiders were like paper airplanes. funniest game ever

I was curious to see if he would allow flamers to do double damage

Shield of Freedom
04-07-2006, 08:17
I was curious to see if he would allow flamers to do double damage

HA HA HA HA HA.........<snort>......HA HA HA HA...... sorry, I'm such a dork, but I thougt that pun was hilarious....

firewarrior76
04-07-2006, 15:29
my buddy and i have a specific set of proxies that we use when we are waiting for our stuff we ordered to come in. we call them the proxy marines. they are second edition marines(that look like junk) that we have used lots color to look at different color combinations they are now called the rodeo clowns b/c they look so silly.

bluebugs
04-07-2006, 15:42
Let's see, I'm the master of poor-hammer. A cut-out old piece of terrain with "volcano" written on it as well as a godzilla toy to represent a defiler. Countless jacks, chess pieces, paper, and army boxes as terrain. I don't even own any thousand sons, they're all tryanids. Paper rhinos. Carnifex dreadnauts. And one time my buddy tried a mechanized marine force. Of about 4 rhinos, 2 dreads, and 2 land speeders. All paper except for the dreads(carnifexs) and whay poped out? Broken guardsmen. Yeah, My hivetyrant bloodthirster soo took down his gaurdsman chaplain that day in one hit. Good times.......

Damien 1427
04-07-2006, 16:36
Some of the smellies at our store used to use 40k models as Inq characters.
Their dole money dont stretch to models that big.

That's quite common, actually, as 28mm provides far more options, due to the almost limitless number of models produced in that scale. So if I want, say, bar staff I can just buy current/near future civvie models that are around 2 each instead of spending ten times that carefully converting them out of the (rather limited) Inquisitor range. Too much hassle for what could potentially be a throwaway character.

Great Harlequin
04-07-2006, 17:06
Most unusual...

Easy!

This is true to the very last word. My friend is, well was an animal trainer (he's moved onto computers due to lack of work), and we arranged a game of 40K against his Godzilla force.

On arriving I found that his Carnifexes were being represented by small owls which he could tempt across the table with various snacks. The most hilarious game I have ever played, untill one of them started pecking at my Biker squad. :D

Kriegsherr
04-07-2006, 18:37
you haven't played fantasy till you use empty movement trays w/ a piece of tape denoting what the unit is... Not just for a proxy unit... FOR A WHOLE ARMY!

Now thats pretty cheap :)

But why on earth not just using the tape? Without the movement trays? With an arrow on it showing the front and a mark to show the middle of the front rank?

Thats how to play Warhammer with just a rulebook and an empty table... and a lot of imaginagion ;)

On arriving I found that his Carnifexes were being represented by small owls which he could tempt across the table with various snacks. The most hilarious game I have ever played, untill one of them started pecking at my Biker squad

Thats insane! .... now would it be possible to crossbred this owl with my minis? And stop the annoying pecking? That would be the perfect mini! :)

Hlokk
04-07-2006, 18:39
i used a house brick to represemt a leman russ. Its rough in some parts of sheffield, so my mate kept said housebrick under his bed.

Johnny Bravo
04-07-2006, 18:39
Most unusual...

Easy!

This is true to the very last word. My friend is, well was an animal trainer (he's moved onto computers due to lack of work), and we arranged a game of 40K against his Godzilla force.

On arriving I found that his Carnifexes were being represented by small owls which he could tempt across the table with various snacks. The most hilarious game I have ever played, untill one of them started pecking at my Biker squad. :D

I declare Great Harlequin's story to be THE WINNER. :D :D

kermit
04-07-2006, 18:52
I have played against a kid who proxied 90% of a chaos warrior squad with just the square bases. At least the front rank had minis in it to make it easier to figure out what the squad was...

I have been known to proxie tson terminators... for a whole army... just to see how it played. It made it much easier to decide if I wanted to build a whole army like it.

Jim Reaper
04-07-2006, 20:53
Never proxied much, except for having to proxy ******* blast markers in BFG. By the end of the game we've normally run out of normal blast markers, rocks, dice, bits of paper, bits of fluff, household pets etc. And *still* it always turns up as a 1 when you're rolling to remove them at the end of the turn.

Warhammer Quest is (or was) the other difficult one. How many monster types can YOU represent with just some Dwarfs and Undead?

Oh, and we always used to use a ceramic model frog as terrain in every single game we ever played. It normally represented one of those monster caves that et you or the like.

AgentZero
04-07-2006, 23:28
The 'Saddest Battle' thread got me thinking about unusual proxy models players have seen.

Personally, I've used the lids to Chinese food containers to represent Drop Pods (or at least the area they might take up).

Anyone else?

I let a kid use a doctored trash can to be a Gargant.

We've used shoe boxes to represent heavy tanks.

Index cards to represent vehicles, the troops would just be placed on the card if it was a transport.
The card had "front" and "door" listed in the appropriate places.

I've played against like-colored Dragon Dice (you remember that horrid game?) representing specific units.

General Grievous and those basic Droids, the LEGOs ones, make good Necron.
The problem with the LEGOs is they're more expensive than the Necron, so you have to be a Star Wars geek to pull it off. BUT you can make some really cool Destroyers with that Episode One pre-Tie Fighter vehicle.
The roller vehicle, the one Grievous used to try and run away from the Jedi with, it can be converted into a Defiler easy.

I think proxies help people figure out what they want to buy, so I'm fine with it as long as I get advanced notice etc....I don't care what you use, so long as it's not confusing.

striderzero
05-07-2006, 00:07
The strangest proxy army I have even seen was actually my friend's the first time I played him because its his whole army. He paints his minis to a almost showcase quality and many are converted atleast alittle bit. To limit the wear and tear that they would normally occur (or sticky fingered people :) ) , he uses proxys when not using them in a tourny.
At first they started out as bases with a picture glued to the top and boxes for tanks. Now each for each individual infantry unit has a picture taken of its front, back, top, right and left sides. The pictures are then photoshop'ed and glued to a foam rectangle. Tanks are done the same why but. Are glued to a piece of wood that has been shaped to appear like the tank.

I onced asked him why he spent so much time making the proxies instead of just buy a second, not super quality paint job, regular play army and all he said was "I'd rather just buy more stuff and make more proxies".. I told him he had a proxy addiction.

Latro_
05-07-2006, 00:35
hehe thats an interesting idea. The amount of people that knock over/drop models it can be a right pain. What winds me up the most is when people use a tape measure to get the range to your unit but they make the metal bit at the end clunk on your models! esp the metal ones Grrrrr! Then they knock them over.

maybe proxy is the way forward!

Mind you it is a bit of a odd path to go down, Like people who dont take the plastic covers off their sofas or ever use their good china.

Sekhmet
05-07-2006, 00:43
PVC pipes with end pieces on top as drop pods. Coffee mugs as drop pods. Wads of paper as drop pods. Cut out drop pods.

Come to think of it, I've never seen someone use REAL drop pods in the game. They should make a rule that if drop pod special rules are used, then actual drop pods must be used.

scarvet
05-07-2006, 01:43
How about my tau army when I was poor? Necrin warrior as Fire warrior, Heavy destroyer as boradside; flayed Ones as his shield drones, Tomb spyder as commader with retro thruster, space wolf as kroot(I run out with Identical Necrons) and scarab swarm as Crsis.....

NightHaunter86
05-07-2006, 03:20
One of the guys in our group decided to proxy a Saim Hann Eldar army out of cut up Doom Town cards. The worst part of it is that the army was 18 vypers and 11 Jet bikes. So I lost because I was playing marines. Other than that no one around here uses to many proxies.

Shield of Freedom
05-07-2006, 06:38
Let's see, I'm the master of poor-hammer. A cut-out old piece of terrain with "volcano" written on it as well as a godzilla toy to represent a defiler. Countless jacks, chess pieces, paper, and army boxes as terrain. I don't even own any thousand sons, they're all tryanids. Paper rhinos. Carnifex dreadnauts. And one time my buddy tried a mechanized marine force. Of about 4 rhinos, 2 dreads, and 2 land speeders. All paper except for the dreads(carnifexs) and whay poped out? Broken guardsmen. Yeah, My hivetyrant bloodthirster soo took down his gaurdsman chaplain that day in one hit. Good times.......

Oh, gross. Although I admit there are times to proxy when testing new material... it's just a personal preference of mine to always field WYSIWIG. I'm not rich by any means so what happens is I field what I have or I wait until I buy it if I really want to use it. For example, I bought the forgeworld Waveserpent right when it came out several years ago. After I ordered it I scrolled down and realized I could have gotten one with other turret weapons besides Shuriken Cannons. To this day I still field it with Shuriken Cannons on top because that's what it has.

Shield of Freedom
05-07-2006, 06:39
They should make a rule that if drop pod special rules are used, then actual drop pods must be used.

In the new Space Marine codex, it does say that now. Yay, :) .

EsDawg
05-07-2006, 07:28
One of my buds was starting out with Necrons. At the current point in time he had no Monolith so I built him one single handedly.

The monolith consisted of cardboard squares in a relatively accurate dimension of the model itself. All held together by duct tape and love. Now this was legit cuz i wrote "The Fu-cking Monolith" and "Gamesworkshop tm" on the sides to disprove any nay sayers.

A few weeks later we brought it up to the local place we played at and threw that on the table. People wuz 'bout to get pissed before we showed them a real monolith he had bought in the mean time. Everyone found it funny 'xept the guy he was gonna play. But that's only cuz he wuz fightin' a big ol'Monolith anyways.

Sekhmet
05-07-2006, 07:47
In the new Space Marine codex, it does say that now. Yay, :) .
I meant like, the actual forge world drop pods. :D

Ravenous
05-07-2006, 10:57
the best drops pods I saw were the tall boy cans of guiness.

Bob Hunk
05-07-2006, 14:21
I sometimes proxy if I'm thinking of making a new purchase, but want to experiment with game performance first. When I wanted to test out a Daemon Prince back in 3rd Ed (using the first Chaos Codex with scar-face on the front), I went outside, collected a couple of leaves from the ground and stuck them to the back of a Great Unclean One by pushing the bony pertrubances from his spine though the leaves. It was a winged Daemon Prince you see. :) Anyway, he did well so I bought one.
As a side note, we were often running short of terrain at our club, so we'd go and raid the Uni gardens for rocks, twigs, etc. Stow-away woodlice just added to the fun.

On arriving I found that his Carnifexes were being represented by small owls which he could tempt across the table with various snacks.

Incredible and inspired! :D I'd have loved to see that in action.

Great Harlequin
05-07-2006, 19:11
Incredible and inspired! :D I'd have loved to see that in action.
Tell you what, he's still got two I think - I'll see if I can get him to give me a game again, though it would have to be smaller. They were surprisingly good at staying still, they had those little perch things on FW bases; I'm pretty sure he could get them out. :)

All the very bestest,

cookiescrumble
05-07-2006, 19:15
I'm sorry...

...but this thread reminds me of TSOALR! :D :D

ragu
05-07-2006, 22:33
PVC pipes with end pieces on top as drop pods. Coffee mugs as drop pods. Wads of paper as drop pods. Cut out drop pods.

Come to think of it, I've never seen someone use REAL drop pods in the game. They should make a rule that if drop pod special rules are used, then actual drop pods must be used.

When Games Workshop actually manufactures a drop pod, I will use them officially. Since they have not seen fit to give us a simple affordable plastic kit I'll use what is convenient and doesn't confuse my opponent.

And don't give me that FW argument either. If they can translate the Tau Piranah and Skyray into plastic AND create a Venerable Dreadnought they can produce a reasonable plastic kit for Drop pods.

Sorry for the rant but I find it inexcusable to create ingame rules justifications to milk $70 each for a resin kit IMMOBILE, OPEN TOPPED, ONE SHOT TROOP TRANSPORT.

muskrat
06-07-2006, 00:20
man, if fw were cheaper and in the states id be all over some of it' stuff...like the tempest. ow theres a beautiful model

Killgore
06-07-2006, 00:46
resently i'v been threatened with a drop pod army made up of discarded loo roll cardboard, yet to happen yet, but when those loo-rolls start to fall I'll be ready

Livia
06-07-2006, 02:15
Hi all.

First post, yay. :)

Hrrm, worst proxies a friend and I once used was, after buying our new units boxes for fantasy, we decided we really wanted to play with them rather than wait for them to be assembled... so out came movement trays with bases lined up on them, and nothing else, heh.

We were young. :)

As for drop pods, I've fround CNC Workshop (In Australia, though) has some good 'Troop Lander' sets available. (http://www.miniaturescenery.com/index.asp)

Livia

Z-chan
06-07-2006, 06:23
Strangest proxy I made were chess pawns as Bloodletters... And that time when I fielded a Gundam model as a Wraithlord.

Krusk
06-07-2006, 06:48
For me, stuff like using just the mortar itself from the empire mortar/great cannon kit for the whole model, or particularly, a liberty bell pencil sharpner for a goblin rock lobba( I have since acquired real models for them :) ). When I was trying out the WH40k second edition rules, I used lumps of clay shaped like little soldiers for men, and paper tanks for vehicles. I had some monstrosities made out of that glue you put in glue guns that were marines of some sort, and some guardsmen too. Understand, I was only about 13 or so, but god where they ever sad.

Dread Lime
06-07-2006, 15:14
Once had someone propose using a box o' lo-mein as a bane blade...
Then there's the usual Chicken Macnugget Devestator squad, which come neatly packaged with it's own cardboard razorback.
I've fought against 1" washers used as tac squads, fry box rhinos, medium and large size cups of Doc Dreadnaught, Tie fighter DE raiders, empty bases used as DE warriors, a mageknight dragon used as a greater daemon, magic decks landspeeders, a stack of coins used as a Daemon prince.

There was also a kitten which inadvertantly ended up becoming the "Perils of the Warp". It was eventually decided that the kitten should get any victory points for whatever she knocked over. This resulted in one of the few known occasions where both Traitor Legions and the Adeptus Astartes have been defeated by a house cat.

Autobot HQ
06-07-2006, 15:33
Dread Lime's Kitten vs. Great Harlequins Owls!!

Thats a match to see.

cookiescrumble
06-07-2006, 15:39
I think the weirdest proxy i have used is sentinels as dreadnoughts.

Shaper Shakra
06-07-2006, 16:00
i used a house brick to represemt a leman russ. Its rough in some parts of sheffield, so my mate kept said housebrick under his bed.

I know exactly what you're talking about, which is the sad part.

DeXyre
06-07-2006, 18:50
A stapler as... well I have no idea any more... Of course someone always had to forget and move the stapler around...

razialx
06-07-2006, 20:04
Things I am guilty of:

Sanding Block as a Rhino

Blank Sheet of metal for a Fantasy tray using Dry erase marker to 'draw' where guys were

Using Eldar as Marines

Using Eldar as Necrons

Using Eldar as Orcs... well, this will just keep going.

BUT,
This all pales in comparison to what I did in 2nd edition ALL the time. Then I was a wee-lad with little in the way of moneys. So. I fielded an army of Lego men and pennies at home games all the time. Lego tanks. Lego buildings. If Lego and GW teamed up, they would have had my dollar.

You could imagine my dismay when the local shop told me that I could not proxy in the tournament. Boo them!

Tonberry
06-07-2006, 20:37
A mate turned up 100~ points short, so we used a Big Mac as a Dread :D

captaincortez
07-07-2006, 03:20
Not very unusual, but I guess the offender is famous in our circle. Many years ago I ran into Neal from The Warstore.net at a shop and he proxied empty bases for a giant and unit of trolls in a fantasy game. It was a fun game, but I always think about that when I see ads for the awesome Warstore...Neal proxied!

Warboss Grimmtoof
07-07-2006, 03:39
I dont believe testing proxies or limited use of temporary proxies (as long as identifiable, not like "Those are just hormgaunts that I've been ignoring for 3 tur...OMG those are 20 genestealers...") are okay, what I dislike and pisses me off is when little kids want to have a 3000 point army in 2 days and never plan on replacing those plastic army men and toothpicks glued to bases with real models, and than act like they are perfectly legit...:wtf:

Krusk
07-07-2006, 04:00
Oh, now I remember, something odd I saw at an actual torunament once was some guy using plastic catachans as ork sluggas, shootas, and everything else too. He had Gi-Joes as dreads, and a tonka truck or two as trukks. All the infantry he just had bunched up on a movement tray too. Needless to say, they got OWNED by artillary. served him right, everyone else had nice armies and eveything.

nightgant98c
09-11-2006, 01:01
my buddy and i have a specific set of proxies that we use when we are waiting for our stuff we ordered to come in. we call them the proxy marines. they are second edition marines(that look like junk) that we have used lots color to look at different color combinations they are now called the rodeo clowns b/c they look so silly.

A friend of mine had those same crappy looking marines. He never painted them, and he called them dopplegangers, since they filled in gaps in just about every army. If we wanted to try out something new, we'd borrow them. They were Tau, Necrons, Eldar, tyrranids, and a couple different Necromunda gangs.

scwolf
09-11-2006, 02:56
On arriving I found that his Carnifexes were being represented by small owls which he could tempt across the table with various snacks.

And here I was going to post about the guy I know who wanted to test his Ultramarines against a Hive Tyrant, and we ended up using his daschund as a proxy. Doesn't even come close to owls though.

VetSgtNamaan
09-11-2006, 03:27
I have to admit I am very tempted to proxy a carnifex with a coke bottle now ;)

Ixe
09-11-2006, 03:28
Not very unusual, but I guess the offender is famous in our circle. Many years ago I ran into Neal from The Warstore.net at a shop and he proxied empty bases for a giant and unit of trolls in a fantasy game. It was a fun game, but I always think about that when I see ads for the awesome Warstore...Neal proxied!

omfg! He could build a house out of wholesale priced figs, and he proxied. very lol.

Mine's not as crazy as some, but I played a guy who was using a 7 dreadnought marine list, ALL venerable, (already going :wtf:) but the thing is he only owned 2 dreads IIRC... The rest were represented by trees, and a tyranid capillary tower. The nid piece was easy to remember, but I was constantly forgetting that what appeared to be scenery were actually deadly assault cannon wielding walkers of death.

ss_cherubael
09-11-2006, 03:39
rofl, thread o mancy alert!!!!!!!!!

i still think (same as 4 months ago when this thread was started!) that the owls win hands down!

blood_god
09-11-2006, 05:39
lol

me and my friends use proxies to play test armies all the time. typically its just other models until i decided to test a armoured company. i was forced to use two toilet rolls taped together with 'leman russ' written on the side!

another mate also uses a monolith made from two cd wallets

demicanadian
09-11-2006, 05:51
I have to admit I am very tempted to proxy a carnifex with a coke bottle now ;)

Coke bottles are the devil. I think they would make awesome uberfexes.

/The gods must be crazy.

paddyalexander
09-11-2006, 06:10
I've recently used empty bases to represent sentinels in games playtesting my drop troop IG army. Whenever using proxies or anything thats not WYSIWYG then its important to let your opponent know what's what. Whenever I use proxies I write out a list describing what model/item represents what.

Sekhmet
09-11-2006, 06:54
Coke bottles are the devil. I think they would make awesome uberfexes.

/The gods must be crazy.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Oh man... I think I might be the only one who gets that joke.

Coke bottles can do anything...

Jedi152
09-11-2006, 08:04
Blank Sheet of metal for a Fantasy tray using Dry erase marker to 'draw' where guys were
Bah. I once played Crube using a single miniature and the rest of the army cut out of paper.

Hobgoblyn
09-11-2006, 08:56
a guy who had a Necromunda gang made up of a mix match of tau, marine and about 3 necromunda models

What's wrong with that? Tau explorers who recruited a few Hive World Humans to help them fight and conqueer the other Hive World humans...

The game also had rules for Space Orks. I played gangs in Necromunda campaigns that were Space Orks and another that was Skaven (Hrud, I guess). It was quite a lot of fun. Used the outlanders rules for them, of course and it was ruled that I couldn't recruit more gang members than what I started with and couldn't get juvie-types.

Actually, I created an entire 'Hrud' army that I played a few times using the Dark Eldar rules. Though I am fairly sure I did a pretty good job of making the units fairly similar in appearance and function (gutter runners were wytches, Jezzil Guns were Dark Lances, Warpflamers were a different heavy weapon, Ikit Claw was my army commander with similar equipment as shown on his model, etc.)

Sergeant Tanthius
10-11-2006, 06:35
Using cardboard boxes as Raiders...I haven't seen that but I am planning to do so if I ever collect DE. I love to see the opponents face. :D

Penitent Angel
10-11-2006, 09:03
We once used one brand of recently emptied beer bottles as drop pods and a different brand as dreadnoughts. Needless to say, we didn't finish that game...

Rowenstin
10-11-2006, 11:34
Behold the power of the Spongicore!

(That was a bent sponge, of the kind that came in the miniture blisters, proxying a manticore)

Toastrider
10-11-2006, 14:45
Not exactly a proxy, but...

A friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer built a Basilisk model out of Lexan. Yes, you read that correctly. It's the only WH40K model that is bulletproof. :eek:

--TR

Blagrot Squigbreff
10-11-2006, 15:49
The worst I've ever seen has to be a handful of dice representing Genestealers - the guy (middle-aged man) didn't tell anyone what they were until he tried to assault with them.

I've seen Post-it notes on movement trays for Fantasy and had one opponent use plastic trees to represent Wood Elves - some of them were taken straight out of the Terrain box:eyebrows: .

Gimp
10-11-2006, 15:56
I played a guy who proxied 2 shooty Carnifexs out of model trees then put them in a forest. I kept on forgetting to shoot at the stupid things. I also once proxied a fantasy army out of paper so i cant really talk.

Lord Humongous
10-11-2006, 17:13
I never saw it being used, but I found a very nice origami figure on the game table last night. It looked like a brown paper shrimp with arms, maybe 6 inches long, and I can only assume it was some sort of tyranid proxy. It was rather nicely done, I may have to nick the idea for some chaos beasties.

carl
10-11-2006, 18:25
The owls story is ******* amazing IMHO. I'd love to see some pics. Send em off to GW if you can get them BTW.

Yog_Sothoth
10-11-2006, 18:33
Gretchins for everything.
My opponent even took a handful of them and taped them together to represent tanks.
He had crates full of gretchins...

Core_Commander
10-11-2006, 19:55
My friend has a "blast marker" cut out from paper (it's quite irregular to boot), in the centre there is a Chaos star drawn with a red pen, and also there is written "BERN MADA FAKA". Exactly like this :D.

It was custom made for his Dread's Plasma Cannon, so it's actually quite funny when the crazy thing has one of "these days" and he has to put it on is own Chaos gitties. BMF ;) !!!

Kadaan
10-11-2006, 21:36
I once was at a friend's house and I finally managed to talk him into playing Battlefleet Gothic. Well, us being short of miniatures and without the blue Rulebook, we downloaded all the stuff we needed and started cutting out lil paper pieces, shaped like the bases of the different battle cruisers. In the middle of the first round my friend wanted to open a window to let in some fresh air... bad idea dudes if you got like a table full of cut out lil paper pieces!

After collecting our battlefleets off the ground we re-deployed our battlefleets, this time remembering to put coins on the papers.

Reflex
10-11-2006, 22:18
i once used .303B cases to represent a squad of devestator marines. hehehe.

Morgrad
10-11-2006, 22:41
My usual store allows proxies in tournaments, just 'cause we all don't figure it's very cool to not allow college students, high school students, and rather poor kids not to play at all. That being said, it normally sticks to coke-can drop pods and the like - though one kid has a tendency to substitute regular marines for terminators, which gets very annoying.

I prefer proxy models to be obnoxiously different from what they're a proxy of - that way it's really easy to tell the difference.

I typically don't proxy, but when I get an idea that would cost a ton of money to implement, I'll play a couple games against my brother with proxy models first to make sure I actually want to field the minis.

Khornies & milk
11-11-2006, 00:01
A noob wanted to use Woody as his SM Captain and his noob friend Mr. Potato as an Ork Warboss.:wtf:

We let them, but only one time.:p

cheers