PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

dirach.
10-06-2015, 20:21
I have played Warhammer fantasy battle for over 20 years and was happy with that, until my son wanted to paint some miniatures. He wanted something with guns, but I talked into some goblins he never finished. He found out about 40k and I gave in and bought Dark Vengance as it looks like a good deal. He got the dark angels (Easier to paint for a newcomer) I got the chaos marines. I can also get some games out of it without expanding it. This would be sencible as I have to many fantasy models taking too much space. I also think my son will spend quite some time painting his dark angels, so I guess I donīt need to rush it.

But... once you got some, you want more, and I have touched the 40k world before.

I have:
The Assassinorum Execution force game
Space Hulk
An 3rd edition Catachan army with 2 leman russ tanks, 4 sentinels, some heavy weapon teams, many green men, some snipers. (I have played 40k once and then my brother moved and my army have been collecting dust ever after.)

I donīt want big armies at this point, but rather smaller warbands fighting smaller battles and we donīt care about what is good as we will play in a very uncompetetive way where we adjust the powerlevel ourself.

So I need some advice on what to do from here:

1. I notice there are a space Marine codex and a Dark Angels codex. Is the dark angel codex an expansion to the Space Marine codex? Or can I use the Dark Angel codex on itīs own?

2. The same question for the Crimson slaughter (I think this covers the chaos army in the box) Can you use this on itīs own, Iīve noticed the "codex supplement" tag on this, or should the Chaos Space Marine codex be my choice?

3. Will the Astra Militarum list cover my Imperial guard collection or is my collection outdated?

4. Could I use the 3rd edition codex or would the stats be all wrong? As we play smaller games I guess the points would not be a problem as we can adjust them as we se fit.

5. To use the Blood Angels from Space Hulk I could use the same rules as for the dark angel terminators?

6. The rulebook in the Dark vengance book is small. Do I need the big one or is the small one complete?

7. If I want to use my genestealers, can I only get the stats legal in the codex? No stats in the big rulebook?

8. Are the stats for assiassins included in any codex or is the white dwarf and app the only source?

mikesmight123
10-06-2015, 20:45
1) dark angel codex is a standalone.

2) u need the chaos marine codex and the crimson codex

3) your army is how u want it to be, I'm not a guard player so I wouldn't know.

4) if u and ur opponent agree to it you can use whatever codex u want. There will be stat changes.

5)there are differences between both chapters, again just do whatever u want asking as ur opponent agrees.

6) small is complete with every thing, just without the fluff. It is perfect.

7) no stats for stealers in big rule book, get the tyranid codex although there are rumours of stealer codex in the future.

8) not entirely sure, sorry.

MagicHat
10-06-2015, 21:56
1) Dark Angel codex is entirely standalone, but there are rumours about a new codex coming for them.

2) Crimson Slaughter needs the Chaos Space Marine codex to function, but the Dark Vengeance models are entirely functional without the CS supplement. Besides, the future fate of the supplements as the codicies get updated are uncertain.

3) Astra Militarum covers all the Imperial Guard models.

4) Been enough changes in the paradigm that I would recommend updating to the new codex frankly.

5) Dark Angel terminators have very different rules, but I am using DV terminators in my custom Blood Angel chapter. As long as you are clear about the rules you use, there is no real problem using Space Hulk terminators for Dark Angels.

6) It is the one with a single DA tactical marine, correct? It includes all the rules that the big rulebook does. The bigger book has background and model showcases in addition to its rules, but that is it.

7) Genestealer cult codex/box similar to spacehulk is rumoured, but not certain when it will come. Tyranid codex have the stats. However, if you want small forces, you could buy the Deathstorm (http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Shield-of-Baal-Deathstorm-English) box. Gives you a small Tyranid/Blood Angel force, and the rules for using the models inside it in a fixed loadout. So not the full rules for the unit. It would give you the rules to field a Broodlord leading 8 genestealers.

8) No, the WD and the web dataslate thingy is the only place at the moment.

SuperHappyTime
11-06-2015, 00:01
I have played Warhammer fantasy battle for over 20 years and was happy with that, until my son wanted to paint some miniatures. He wanted something with guns, but I talked into some goblins he never finished. He found out about 40k and I gave in and bought Dark Vengance as it looks like a good deal. He got the dark angels (Easier to paint for a newcomer) I got the chaos marines. I can also get some games out of it without expanding it. This would be sencible as I have to many fantasy models taking too much space. I also think my son will spend quite some time painting his dark angels, so I guess I donīt need to rush it.

You didn't persuade him to try Empire or Dwarfs? For Shame.

If you have any Daemons, they'll be usable in 40K too. If Khorne was your guy, you might look at the Khorne Daemonkin codex, or wait for the others to drop (Tzeentch is also supposedly around the corner). You can worry about the bases, or just not play jerks in public.

Or go with Astra Militarium.

Khorneflakes01
11-06-2015, 02:26
Do you have Battlescribe? It has all the stats built in for the rosters so you don't have to worry about stats being out-dated.

dirach.
11-06-2015, 12:06
Thanks for the advice all of you.

I do not have Battle scribe. I prefere Excel for some reason.

SO from what I see I should get the Astra Militarum Codex and tyranid codexes to use my Tyranid and Imperial guard models. I\ll just stick With the little rulebook and I need Codex. Dark Angels and Chaos Space marines if I want to expand the Dark vengance armies.

You didn't persuade him to try Empire or Dwarfs? For Shame.

If you have any Daemons, they'll be usable in 40K too. If Khorne was your guy, you might look at the Khorne Daemonkin codex, or wait for the others to drop (Tzeentch is also supposedly around the corner). You can worry about the bases, or just not play jerks in public.

Or go with Astra Militarium.

I already got 10.000+ Points of Empire troops. For a 8 year old a flintlock gun just isn't a gun. So the dwarfs was not tempting for him either.

I know I can use demons and I have some demon princes and some furies. So maybe in the future. FOr a start I'll stick With the more Sci-fi looking models I have.

jascarr4
11-06-2015, 18:32
I've been a fan of the 40K universe for years, but have so far stuck with WFB. However, with big changes headed our way, I am really tempted to jump into the future.

The thing holding me back is the sheer amount of 40K stuff out there. It's overwhelming and I have no idea where to begin. I hear about all these new codexes, datacards, battlescrolls, formations...uugh! What is all this stuff, and how hard is this game to start out fresh in?

bptyates
12-06-2015, 15:51
I know what you mean, I'm putting together a small Astra Militarum force and the choice is amazing with all the formations and allies etc. I'm just going stick to one thing for now, get a few games in and take it from there.

mikesmight123
12-06-2015, 17:54
It's is really easy to start