PDA

View Full Version : GW News app saying supplementary codexes are still legal?

Althenian Armourlost
11-06-2015, 00:53
Hi all

On the GW news iPhone app this morning there is a section on 'Sentinels of Terra' in which it is touting this supplementary codex for sale. It very clearly specifically says "All of this content is completely compatible with the new Codex:Space Marines' (though the Planetstrike and Cities of Death stratagems included in the book are designed for older editions of these rules.)"

So are all supplementary codexes still fair game then? Just the marine ones, or just 'Sentinels of Terra'? Will there be further clarification of this from GW?

Also, does this mean that I can still use the Iyanden codex with my eldar? I miss the Iyanden rules.

Dwane Diblie
11-06-2015, 01:37
I find my self questioning what is stopping you from using it now. Ever since the edition change you have needed to jury rig the rules to make it work. Even with the faqs . The only thing stopping it would be tornaments. I am sure if you brought it up early enough with the TOs, even they may allow it.

As for your general play group, the only thing that realy needs to be sorted out in the suplement is wheather they are going to allow you to take 1-5 Spirit Seers in a Wraith Host. My group is fine with it. But I know another group that is not, though thay are fine with 1-5 in a normal detachment as a HQ choice.

All other rules worke perfictly well. Even though the codex is called craftworlds the faction as written in the codex is still just eldar, as it was before.

Aryllon
11-06-2015, 07:52
I noticed this too, but it specifically says says Sentinels of Terra is a digital-exclusive publication...

Was the original book only digital or was there a print version?

If the former, it implies all old supplements are still valid. If the latter, it implies they updated this book for current rules and the old print version is not valid anymore (and will not be making a print version).

Which would mean all the old supplements whether print or digital are invalid until updated.

Part of me hopes the old supplements are still valid, the other part hopes they are updating supplements because that means they might also still be making new ones.

duffybear1988
11-06-2015, 07:54
Have they ever updated a supplement?

Greyhound
11-06-2015, 08:02
it means: we'll take all the money we can take, and we don't really care if the rules are design with the old supplement in mind, perfect, good, ok, or not working at all.

Felwether
11-06-2015, 09:23
In this instance I don't really see why there'd be a compatibility issue between the supplements and the new codex. With the exception of the new formations, the rules are almost identical to the previous book.

superdupermatt
11-06-2015, 10:36
I still find it ludicrous that anyone would stop someone using the Iyanden supplement with the new Eldar codex.

Althenian Armourlost
11-06-2015, 12:05
I still find it ludicrous that anyone would stop someone using the Iyanden supplement with the new Eldar codex.

Me too, but the people I pay with - with a couple of exceptions - are the most cut-throat WAAC gaming group I have ever seen. (they are all Chinese men). If they can take any chance to reduce my options of choosing an army and maximise their own, they will take it. Hence, as the Iyanden codex is now 'not official' I am not allowed to use it.

------------------------

I e-mailed Games Workshop and they sent me a reply:

The ibook version of Sentinels of Terra has been updated to match the new Space Marines Codex. The Iyanden supplement however has not been updated to match the Craftworlds codex I'm afraid.

In relation to the Iyanden supplement, as far as I am aware there are no plans to update it.

I believe the Space Marine supplements are being/have been updated.

It looks like all the marine supplements are going to get digitally tweaked like the Sentinels of Terra one, and Iyanden are going to be left out in the cold. A shame for me, but great for marine players who like invincible chapter masters on bikes.

superdupermatt
11-06-2015, 12:55
Bit harsh that they're taking the time to update a few supplements but not the others. Especially if Iyanden only needs a single line to be amended.

Spiney Norman
11-06-2015, 13:43
Because the wraith host formation in the craftworld codex is not quite overpowered enough and in order for it to comprehensively break the game into the smallest possible pieces it really needs all the shiny extras from the Iyanden supplement.

And to think people used to play this game for fun

Althenian Armourlost
11-06-2015, 13:50
Because the wraith host formation in the craftworld codex is not quite overpowered enough and in order for it to comprehensively break the game into the smallest possible pieces it really needs all the shiny extras from the Iyanden supplement.
And to think people used to play this game for fun

Tears for the tears god? Or are you on a mission to derail every thread that dares mention Eldar and drown it in a puddle of your own tearful angst?

Either way, Enjoy the continuing use of the supplementary fluff-codexes for your faction. I can't any more.

superdupermatt
11-06-2015, 13:51
Your disdain of wraith construct power level aside, I bought the Iyanden supplement because I love the wraith constructs and I played for fun, so are you to say I'm wrong?

I'm just pointing out that if GW can update some supplements they should do all of them.

Spiney Norman
11-06-2015, 14:01
Tears for the tears god? Or are you on a mission to derail every thread that dares mention Eldar and drown it in a puddle of your own tearful angst?

Either way, Enjoy the continuing use of the supplementary codexes for your faction. I can't any more.

It might be worth pointing out that most of the armies inn hen sme neve got their own supplement, so you won't find a great deal of sympathy from me, my main army has spent the last three editions without a proper codex, let alone anything supplementary. Besides, in a very real sense the wraith host formation in the craftworld book does away with the need for the Iyanden supplement since you can use it to make an all-wraith army anyway.

Althenian Armourlost
11-06-2015, 14:10
back on track:

Looks like the other marine codexes are being updated soon. Peace.

jeffersonian000
12-06-2015, 10:38
It could just be exactly what GW said: digital-only content is getting updated, while physical books are getting replaced by new releases.

Sure does look like the sky is not falling, Chicken Little.

SJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superdupermatt
12-06-2015, 11:08
Did any supplements come out that didn't have digital counterparts?

Perversor
12-06-2015, 18:26
Iyanden supplement updated for Codex: eldar Craftworlds.
- Wargear and Warlords Traits as before
- Wraithknight can be named as Warlord and achieve character status.
-Iyanden Warhost
Iyanden can take a Dire avenger Shrine as core for their WArhost formation
Iyanden Wraith host can take 1-5 Spiritseers and 3-5 units of any combination of Wraithguard and Wraithblades.
There can't be more Spiritseers than Wraith units the Spiritseers must join a squad at the beggining of the game and can't leave it.

There ya go fixed on 5 min and gold for GW....

jeffersonian000
12-06-2015, 18:40
Did any supplements come out that didn't have digital counterparts?

Well, I have a physical copy of Iyanden, and digital copies of the rest. Pretty Farsight is a physical supplement.

SJ

superdupermatt
12-06-2015, 18:41
I have a digital version of both.

Aryllon
14-06-2015, 00:02
GW app has also now announced the Clan Raukaan supplement is updated & current-codex compatible.

I'm not really sure what's going on here. Updating some but not others, updating digital but not print, leaving a note that some pages have not been updated anyway (why not just exclude them then)...
Would it have been so hard to update the Cities & Planetstrike rules? Or change a line or two of text to update the non-SM supplements?

Not doing a new print run I can see sense in, the cost might exceed the opportunity, but the other two choices seem a bit pointless (in both cases very little effort isrequired, in the former you're paying for a book only half-playable and in the latter case they could charge people $30 just for editing some text and saving an updated version of the file in the iStore).

Commercially speaking, I'd expect GW to have just gone ahead with it.

hobojebus
14-06-2015, 10:53
GW app has also now announced the Clan Raukaan supplement is updated & current-codex compatible.

I'm not really sure what's going on here. Updating some but not others, updating digital but not print, leaving a note that some pages have not been updated anyway (why not just exclude them then)...
Would it have been so hard to update the Cities & Planetstrike rules? Or change a line or two of text to update the non-SM supplements?

Not doing a new print run I can see sense in, the cost might exceed the opportunity, but the other two choices seem a bit pointless (in both cases very little effort isrequired, in the former you're paying for a book only half-playable and in the latter case they could charge people $30 just for editing some text and saving an updated version of the file in the iStore).

Commercially speaking, I'd expect GW to have just gone ahead with it.

Ahh but your forgetting they're "a models company" really why does anyone trust GW with rules anymore things have starkly gone down hill since 6th came out is it really a surprise they are halfarsing this?

It's simple if it sells it'll get updated if it doesn't then TS they don't care about you only your money.

jeffersonian000
14-06-2015, 11:50
You are also assuming anything got changed. The news could just be telling everyone that there was not enough change in the new codex to disregard the supplements.

SJ

Althenian Armourlost
15-06-2015, 10:58
I wonder how long it would take for someone to tweak the digital copy of the Iyanden supplement to be up-to-date.

All they have to do is make the wraithhost a core formation in the craftworld warhost detachment. That's 1 sentence. Come on!