PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: The Code of Sigmar

microCACTUS
11-06-2015, 01:53

Hello everyone.

I didn't want to pollute the thread actually concerning rumors and news with a specific issue of open speculation.
I wanted to talk about what might be a small source of information: the blue letters behind the "Age of Sigmar" logo, on Games Workshop's website.

There were few posts of people trying to decipher the code, to understand whether it has a meaning at all.
They might be fake letters just slapped together to look nice.

A user named Ikitlagriffe in particular posted a reference sheet that transcribed most of the text, but I noticed some letters were missing and there were some inconsistencies.
Cracking a code is already hard, and starting from an imprecise source can make it all the harder, so I made a sheet myself.

The picture contains every "sentence" from every line of text in the Age of Sigmar image.
Every sentence in the image repeats twice or thrice in the same line of text.
This means that whenever letters are missing (covered by the logo or not visible) there are one or two chances to restore them for every line.

Surprisingly, despite the huge logo covering everything, and the fuzzy sides, the great majority of letters is restorable.
My sheet regroups every single symbol visible in the sheet, AND it puts them in order, allowing to understand how many letters are missing.

Truly, if the sentences are repeated more than once in a line, it is hard to spot where it begins/ends. Much like Ikitlagriffe in his sheet, I also considered some signs (the ones looking like *,v,<) as "punctuation".
So every sentence starts with a sign of "punctuation" and ends right before the same sign, since there seems to be no other logical way of understanding where otherwise the sentence would begin.

Ikitlagriffe also noticed that the last 3 lines start repeating from the top (he saved me some work!). So there is a total of 18 sentences repeated over and over, each in its own line, and the lines themselves start repeating after 18 rows.

Here are those 18 "sentences", in the image attached to this post.

It took me the whole day to put it together. Even if it turns out to be gibberish, I wanted it to be online, easy to see and find, so that nobody else has to go through all the eye strain, the headache and the effort of spending a morning, an afternoon and an evening of comparisons, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

If there is a code, a message, it's there.

Points in favour of considering it nonsense:

-The pattern of the symbols doesn't remind me of the English language. That's pretty big.

Points in favour of considering it meaningful:

-One thing we can all agree on is that there is actually one unmistakable word in the wall of text, at the very bottom left (beginning of the last "sentence": SIGMAR.
-The users Spider-Pope and Spiney Norman actually recall similar "encoded" teasers done by GW in the past (they commented about it in the other thread).

Points that might be one or the other:

-GW and the artist might be just lazily slapping around a pretty picture and a logo.
This is not exclusively negative, because it could mean they used as background some art, some concept, some text that they had lying around, which might pop up again in some form in the upcoming releases.

In conclusion, this is why I made this thread: I wanted a place for people to speculate specifically on the meaning of this teaser.
If you have some interpretation for the code, if you want to just point out that it's clearly gibberish and I glaringly missed something pointing to this, if you want to just have a look at the text, now as "clean" as possible, without the logo over it, this is the place. :)

You might think that I have a lot of free time on my hands. In fact, I spent it all on this, in the next days I will be very busy, I'll check this thread only occasionally, hopefully we can understand whether this thing has a meaning, now that it's aid before our eyes as clearly as possible.

I'm a bit new here, so I'm sorry if I misunderstood the spirit of the forum or I chose the wrong section. I welcome the severe touch of a moderator if need be.

UnpluggedGamer
11-06-2015, 03:05
Thanks for putting this together, MicroCactus. I really hope it turns out to be a code. GW have done stuff like this before (the Skitarii binary in white dwarf, for example). This really reminds me of a book I used to read when I was young: "The Eleventh Hour." It is a mystery picture book for kids, but it includes lots of puzzles that are geared toward adults. Anyhow, I am going to try to find some time to take another crack at this in the next day or two (unless someone comes up with a compelling reason why this is a fool's errand).

Thanks again, either way!

Ikitlagriffe
11-06-2015, 08:39
I thought that it interested nobody. But as you have already progressed a lot, I will give you my other discoveries soon. There is also a spanish version of the image on the web, where the central logo is absent, and we can so see more symbols. I think that it is not from English, nor from Kazhalide. I believe that it is in Eltharin language.

Oxycutor
11-06-2015, 11:11
In the video teaser they put on What's New today on Monday , it looks like the text is rotated, if you go full screen. It might be an alternate image to get details from

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/What's-New-Today-from-the-White-Dwarf-Team/2015/06/08/The-Age-of-Sigmar-approaches

You're referring to other stuff you've found, would you care to share it in this thread.

Is there a unique set of symbols identified, and how many times they occur?
Is it an identifiable Font?

Ikitlagriffe
11-06-2015, 12:46
Here is a cleaner version.215153

Tokamak
11-06-2015, 13:08
Here is a cleaner version.215153

Oh dear, looks like the Nazis are planning a submarine ambush on the next convoy! :eek:

jtrowell
11-06-2015, 13:23
Wrong code, but I would warn Napolean about not bringing his army to Waterloo, it seems that his opponents have confused his allies and they won't be there on time to support him. :p

More seriously, about the dwarf softcover it is possible, even probable, that they had just ordered the soft cover at a time when they were getting low in hardcover stock, and the hard cover didn't sold as fast as they expected, so they didn't get to release the softcover until now.

I am more and more thinking that even if the new game is good and balanced (and giving GW recent history I wouldn't bet on it), it will be even more expesive than ever, and won't be fun with the larger armies (who here play a horde army in 40k and have units of 30 or 40 ork boys of termagant to move individually ?)

Kings of War is looking more and more good each time I got new inforamtions about Ag of Sigmar. :D

Lord Dan
11-06-2015, 14:08
Moved to general.

=][=

Ikitlagriffe
11-06-2015, 14:29
Is there a unique set of symbols identified, and how many times they occur?
Is it an identifiable Font?

Yes, the set contains 25 symbols.

They occurs (in decrasing order) : 20, 16, 14, 14, 13, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5, 4 and 4.

it's each time the same text, in videos, White dwarf and flyers, with a little photoshop assembling for a longer or larger image.

The Font isn't clearly identifiable, but 5 symbols have important similarities with Eltharin runes.

There is only one double letters. No word of 1 letter.

The text contains 48 words. No repeating word.

words of 1 letter : 0
words of 2 letters : 2
words of 3 letters : 12
words of 4 letters : 6
words of 5 letters : 10
words of 6 letters : 7
words of 7 letters : 3
words of 8 letters : 2
words of 9 letters : 2
words of 10 letters : 2
words of 11 letters :0
words of 12 letters :1
words of 13 letters or + :0

So, for me it can't be a modern language with preposition, pronoun..., rather a system as Latin, Khazalide, or imaginary language.

The alternation of the letters is not random, so I think there is a system of vowel and consonant.

Lord Dan
11-06-2015, 14:35
Personally I feel it's nonsense, and that the word "Sigmar" hidden in the text is in and of itself the teaser.

mikesmight123
11-06-2015, 15:47
We all know its the illuminati discussing where they will play their next game of warhammer.

jascarr4
11-06-2015, 16:01
Well, what could it possibly say anyway? "Go out and stock up on round bases!" There isn't much beefy information that could be disclosed in such a short blurb of text.

SuperHappyTime
11-06-2015, 16:28
Well, what could it possibly say anyway? "Go out and stock up on round bases!" There isn't much beefy information that could be disclosed in such a short blurb of text.

It's likely fluff, not rules info.

Other things to note:
This could be like Dwarvish where a single rune means two letters (like a Kh).
Or the Dot used as a space is actually a rune, not a space, and the words have been run together.

Ramius4
11-06-2015, 16:36
Or, it could just be gibberish. I'm fairly sure it says this... :shifty:

You’ve got to be kidding me Sigmar. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

If you're a non-native english speaker, I'm sorry for what I just did to your brain :p

Lord Dan
11-06-2015, 16:41
If you're a non-native english speaker, I'm sorry for what I just did to your brain :p
For a moment there I was convinced you had posted while intoxicated.

Ramius4
11-06-2015, 16:46
For a moment there I was convinced you had posted while intoxicated.

Haven't had a drop in a couple of years. Although if alchohol enabled me to speak convincing gibberish without having to think about it, I might consider it :p

Charistoph
11-06-2015, 17:32
Yes, the set contains 25 symbols.

They occurs (in decrasing order) : 20, 16, 14, 14, 13, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5, 4 and 4.

it's each time the same text, in videos, White dwarf and flyers, with a little photoshop assembling for a longer or larger image.

The Font isn't clearly identifiable, but 5 symbols have important similarities with Eltharin runes.

There is only one double letters. No word of 1 letter.

The text contains 48 words. No repeating word.

words of 1 letter : 0
words of 2 letters : 2
words of 3 letters : 12
words of 4 letters : 6
words of 5 letters : 10
words of 6 letters : 7
words of 7 letters : 3
words of 8 letters : 2
words of 9 letters : 2
words of 10 letters : 2
words of 11 letters :0
words of 12 letters :1
words of 13 letters or + :0

So, for me it can't be a modern language with preposition, pronoun..., rather a system as Latin, Khazalide, or imaginary language.

The alternation of the letters is not random, so I think there is a system of vowel and consonant.

Interesting code/language-breaking analysis.

Of the 6 character words, how many are repeated? Or is that what you meant by words of 6 letters? That may lead to a key if we can identify Sigmar. Of course, Sigmar could be written phonetically in 4 of these characters or 8, too.

Honestly, I think it's someone having fun drawing a bunch of imaginary words that won't mean anything until about 3 years from now while he works with it. But hey, the language Lilu used in 5th Element was made up by the Director and they were conversing in it regularly before the end of shooting, so...

Wintermute
11-06-2015, 18:55
Well this is different;

I'm a bit new here, so I'm sorry if I misunderstood the spirit of the forum or I chose the wrong section. I welcome the severe touch of a moderator if need be.

:shifty:

Ramius4
11-06-2015, 20:11
Well this is different;

One of you guys will have to sig that :p

Ikitlagriffe
11-06-2015, 20:39
That may lead to a key if we can identify Sigmar. Of course, Sigmar could be written phonetically in 4 of these characters or 8, too.

The word "Sigmar" appears one time, clearly, because his symbols are very similars to our alphabet : S. i. G. M. A. R.

But it could be an easter egg, or a system of capital letters.

StygianBeach
11-06-2015, 21:27
The word "Sigmar" appears one time, clearly, because his symbols are very similars to our alphabet : S. i. G. M. A. R.

But it could be an easter egg, or a system of capital letters.

Maybe Sigmar is written in a different alphabet to show it is foreign.

SuperHappyTime
11-06-2015, 22:12
Or, it could just be gibberish. I'm fairly sure it says this... :shifty:

You’ve got to be kidding me Sigmar. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

So has anyone really been far ever as decided to use even go want to do more look like?

I get the feeling unless an old book has a translation guide, we aren't going to be able to find out what it says, if anything.

Should we just confirm XXX Elves for Age of Sigmar?

Powerposey
12-06-2015, 00:28
I even put the message up to a mirror, and could not come up with anything new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cracou2
13-06-2015, 12:21
I don't have time for that, but you just to to count the number of times you see a specific character. The most common one in English is... e

Ha a look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency

and so on. It can give you some hints so as to be able to reconstruct some words

Obviously it works only with a simple substitution code. With a Vigenere you won't find (but I don't think that they would even know what it is!). It can be a Vigenere with Sigmar as the key too :p

ourz
13-06-2015, 20:18
The frequency of letters seems similar to Icelandic and Czech, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency. However, there are far too few A's, a fast count gives ~5 out of 234, or about 2%. Are there any languages with that low A-frequency?

StygianBeach
13-06-2015, 20:55
The frequency of letters seems similar to Icelandic and Czech, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency. However, there are far too few A's, a fast count gives ~5 out of 234, or about 2%. Are there any languages with that low A-frequency?

I stared hunting for THE and AND, but couldn't find any. I hope really there is a code to break.

cracou2
14-06-2015, 08:55
Don't forget: capital A or not!

sigmar is not SIGMAR

il looks the same to us but not if you change the style

TheBearminator
14-06-2015, 11:02
The Code of Sigmar. Hey Dan Brown, we've got a new great title for you to steal!

cracou2
14-06-2015, 22:10
if you copy paste the text to an alphabet (you select randomly one letter per rune) then I can have a look using some knowledge on the topic :p

Tokamak
14-06-2015, 22:57
The Code of Sigmar. Hey Dan Brown, we've got a new great title for you to steal!

It's trademarked AND copyrighted silly. That was the whole point of changing it in the first place!

TheBearminator
14-06-2015, 23:22
It's trademarked AND copyrighted silly. That was the whole point of changing it in the first place!
Ah. In your billionaire face then, Dan Brown.

stortotta
23-06-2015, 10:00
Youíve got to be kidding me Sigmar. Iíve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense.

My brain! My beautiful brain!! AARGHhhh...melting...blergh