PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing space marine chapter 30k & 40k

andyg
13-06-2015, 01:26
I am thinking about starting a new space marine army. Starting small and building it up slowly. But am unsure what chapter to collect.

A few friends collect 30k loyalist marines. Would it be practical to collect an army that would be able to be played in both 30k and 40k ???

Within the loyalist 30k armies would I be reatricted to collect only the founding chapters (I think I would) so if that is the case, the army options would be reduced.

Looking at the colours of the chapters and history that I have picked up without delving into the world of 30k or 40k
I like the look of either Space Wolfs or Dark Angles.

Could people please give pros and cons on the army selection.

Thanks

Perth
13-06-2015, 02:11
The honest truth is that 30k and 40k are really the same game, a 40k army can play against a 30k army without issue. So my advice is to simply collect whatever you like the look and background of most. If you don't love the background of any particular founding chapter, make your own 40k army.

Time travel is a real (although accidental) thing in the 40k universe, so it is still possible a 40k Chapter of Space Marines to pop up in 30k. It's even fluffy to fight against your friend's loyalist army, as you'd be just as likely branded a traitor by virtue of looking different as you would of being believed and allowed to fight along side them.

Losing Command
13-06-2015, 04:00
I would choose the chapter of which you like the theme, looks and bachground the most, rather than decide based on how their rules are. Everybody I know who started an army based on the powerlevel sold it or stopped playing, while those who collect armies mostly because they appeal to them because of the background are still around.

Spiney Norman
14-06-2015, 00:07
I am thinking about starting a new space marine army. Starting small and building it up slowly. But am unsure what chapter to collect.

A few friends collect 30k loyalist marines. Would it be practical to collect an army that would be able to be played in both 30k and 40k ???

Within the loyalist 30k armies would I be reatricted to collect only the founding chapters (I think I would) so if that is the case, the army options would be reduced.

Looking at the colours of the chapters and history that I have picked up without delving into the world of 30k or 40k
I like the look of either Space Wolfs or Dark Angles.

Could people please give pros and cons on the army selection.

Thanks

Pros and cons of Dark Angels vs space wolves, neither have had their legion list from forgeworld yet, Soace Wolves will probably come sooner but you're likely to be waiting at least 11 months because the earliest they will come is book 7. Dark Angels could (and probably will) be a lot longer given the part they play in the story.

If you're happy enough just playing using the basic legion list then go for it.

In terms of being able to use your army as both a 30k and a 40k army I would say the wolves have the edge, dark Angels are slightly problematic because they changed the colour of their armour after the horus heresy, so they used to be all black, but in the 40k era their armour is dark green (with the ravenwing retaining the old school black scheme and Deathwing getting their own colours - bone).

However I would fundamentally echo what has been said above, read a few of the horus heresy novels (try your local library if you can't afford to buy them), particularly those pertaining to the legions you think you would be interested in (in this case Prospero burns and descent of Angels would probably help you decide) and go with whichever legion you like the feel of best. 30k is balanced infinitely better than 40k, so 'power level' is not something you really need to worry about too much.

It might also be worth saying that space marines are not the only options available, the Imperialis Militia/Warp Cults or solar Auxillia army lists can double up nicely as imperial guard, and then there is the mechanicum, which imo totally blows the 40k AdMech models away.

Snake Tortoise
14-06-2015, 01:04
You could read up on the Space Marine chapters on Lexicanum, a sort of Warhammer wiki

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

But I think the Horus Heresy books will give a better feel for the legions/chapters and their differences. I've always chosen as much for how they look as their character and background, with play style coming last. I think there's plenty of scope for fielding a chapter a bit differently to how they are usually depicted as fighting in the fluff, with a few exceptions. I wouldn't do a World Eater force that sits back and shoots, but I'd happily do fast attack heavy Iron Warriors or Night Lords with lots of heavy support.

Aryllon
14-06-2015, 01:19
If you go Alpha Legion you can play 30k and 40k, loyalist and traitor, SM and CSM rules :)

Plus they are known to change colours and iconography at will so you can play around with them a little to get the feel you want.

The only issue is if you pick units which aren't allowed in 40k (like the Sicaran Venator). But your opponent would probably let you use them anyway.

andyg
14-06-2015, 05:29
Thanks guys. You have all been very helpful, and given me something to ponder

dugaal
14-06-2015, 08:24
When I started with Sons of Horus I briefly considered the "Consecrators" Dark Angel Successors. They have just the right background to allow 30k Dark Angels to work in either setting.
They are super mysterious (check) have tons of ancient relics (30k armor and weapon marks check) and kept the scheme of the original Dark Angels (Black armor, red stripe markings etc. awesome. check)

Essentially you have 30k Dark Angels, and in 40k battles they are actually the "Consecrators", no timey-wimey fluff shenanigans required (aside from that implied in the DA Codex)

The only problem is that DA in 40k are still due for a codex soon, and are typically shafted rules-wise, while the 30k books are years away from tackling the Dark Angels, so no fancy upgrade kits or rules from FW.
If you waited for the 40k book, and its good, you might have a go at combining 30k marines with the new GW upgrade sprue or the old GW upgrade kit.