PDA

View Full Version : What make Khorne Daemonkin so good to some people?

Herkamer63
13-06-2015, 14:45
I've heard in the past few weeks on how good Khorne Daemonkin is. From what I'm gathering, it's not so much that it offers more variety to game (although it looks like it does), it's the function of the codex itself. One of the biggest factors, I've heard, is CC is very good, as expected. Although shooting in the game does remain stronger, I heard there were ways in this codex to get up your opponents face much faster and smash them. Blood tithes sound like they can be a lot of fun because it looks like they're similar to Combat Drugs. Some of the relics I read up on sound really nasty too (I thought I remember reading one that grants EW). Finally, the fact that it's Khorne CSM and CD mashed together, I can see, makes for a very satisfying experience and brings back memories where Daemons were already part of the CSM codex of old.

The only real downside, if you want to consider it as such, is there's no Kharn, but from what has been reported, this is not a World Eaters codex. It's all about the Khorne cults, warbands, and renegade chapters, which I don't have a problem with at all. Anyway, that's all I heard about this codex that I know very little about it. I am curious, though, what makes this a good codex? I would like to hear from those who play it because I'm planning on buying this codex later on, after I had my fill on C:SM (who I know are awesome). Lists, rules, whatever you can come up with. PLEASE, be fair about the codex because I know there's upsides and downsides. If you like or don't like it, great, but again keep the analysis fair. Alright, let's see what you guys got.

Hellix_The_Thanatar
13-06-2015, 15:00
I've heard in the past few weeks on how good Khorne Daemonkin is. From what I'm gathering, it's not so much that it offers more variety to game (although it looks like it does), it's the function of the codex itself. One of the biggest factors, I've heard, is CC is very good, as expected. Although shooting in the game does remain stronger, I heard there were ways in this codex to get up your opponents face much faster and smash them. Blood tithes sound like they can be a lot of fun because it looks like they're similar to Combat Drugs. Some of the relics I read up on sound really nasty too (I thought I remember reading one that grants EW). Finally, the fact that it's Khorne CSM and CD mashed together, I can see, makes for a very satisfying experience and brings back memories where Daemons were already part of the CSM codex of old.

The only real downside, if you want to consider it as such, is there's no Kharn, but from what has been reported, this is not a World Eaters codex. It's all about the Khorne cults, warbands, and renegade chapters, which I don't have a problem with at all. Anyway, that's all I heard about this codex that I know very little about it. I am curious, though, what makes this a good codex? I would like to hear from those who play it because I'm planning on buying this codex later on, after I had my fill on C:SM (who I know are awesome). Lists, rules, whatever you can come up with. PLEASE, be fair about the codex because I know there's upsides and downsides. If you like or don't like it, great, but again keep the analysis fair. Alright, let's see what you guys got.

Second turn charging isn't that foreign to anyone in the game. Most armies have some form of delivery for cc turn 2 even if its not usually an amazing pick.

kDK takes all the risk of fast cc units that die quickly and spins it. Units getting replaced or buffed with feel no pain is amazing! I think it is the most flavourful thing daemons have right now and hope each other god gets a similar treatment!

minionboy
13-06-2015, 15:21
The big thing about combat, is that the only way to beat combat armies is to shoot them to death, or be better than them in combat. With KDK, they're quickly able to get to combat, and after turn 1, they'll probably have FNP up too. If KDK go first, then a shooting army is going to get 1 turn before they're engaged, and then it's game over. KDK compared to other combat armies (read: Orks) have the advantage of being able to summon reinforcements to grab objectives while the rest of the army is in combat, as well as generate a high number of attacks in the first rounds to quickly diminish the combat potential of what they're facing.

Vipoid
13-06-2015, 16:58
They nicked my Power from Pain mechanic! Give it back, you sods!

insectum7
13-06-2015, 22:50
Daemonkin get blood points for having their own units killed as well as the enemies. If you load up on cheap and fast squads you can start pinning down enemy units really quick, and as your sacrificial units die you start building up your points. These points can be spent on FnP, sure, but they can also give you "free" Bloodthirsters.

Pretty shocking army to play against.

Retrospectus
14-06-2015, 03:27
watch miniwargaming's batreps with the codex, great way to get a feel for it

dugaal
14-06-2015, 08:08
I think people are just happy to play competitively with their Chaos again. No matter how bad our codexes look at all the project logs and enthusiasm for Chaos. Now there is a viable way to field them again it's kind of vindicating, not to mention all the old-school Khorne traits ("He Cares Not", units of 8, cool gear etc.) have been fluffily thrown in.

swordofglass
14-06-2015, 10:44
Wow when it came out all I saw was people complaining about it, but from reading this thread it actually sounds really fluffy and interesting - and powerful - traits which don't align nearly as often as they should.

Inquisitor Shego
14-06-2015, 20:35
I'd really like a Legions book
"Nah man, what you want, is renegades"
No, I want Legions
"Nah man, what you want is another renegades book"
No, I definitely want Legions
"Naaaah maaaaaayne, what you want is a book on renegades, with a +5 point mechanic that's supposed to represent Legions"
No, I really want a Legions book, like the Space Marines just got"
"Naaaaaaaaaaaawwwww Maaaaaaaaaynnnnnnnnnnne what you want is a Daemon Book, where everything's a random roll so you don't have to think."
No good sir, I assure you, I would greatly appreciate a Legions book.
"Naaaaaawww uuuuuh uuuuh maaaaaaaaaaaaaynnnnnnnnn what you want is a Legions suppliment..."
I'm listening....
"That's overpriced, just makes you take VOTLW, and does nothing of interest."
I'm leaving
"Fine maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I'll make it good.... and for Renegades. Pllllease buy possessed. My kids need to eat, maaaaaaaan"
Get stuffed
"Okay maaaaaaaaaaaaaayne it's competitive and mixes daemons and space marines and does a lot of damage"
Ooooooh
"And possessed are mandatory for them detatchments, maaaaaaaaaan"
Goodbye, weird customer service beatnik.

This book is considered better than regular chaos. That's not saying much

Vipoid
14-06-2015, 21:29
Please never stop posting, Shego. :D

NoobLord
14-06-2015, 22:13
Grav weapons need a 6 to wound your daemons or cultists :D

GrandmasterWang
15-06-2015, 07:07
Khorne Daemonkin encourages play styles which would probably be pleasing to Khorne. No sitting around pot shotting garbage! Just in your face talons and chainswords.

I feel this is the real reason so many Blood God devotees like the codex a great deal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dr.Clock
15-06-2015, 16:25
Exactly. It's worth noting that Khorne doesn't really CARE much about your 'Legion'. All allegiances other than to Him are not for the True Warrior. BFTBGSFTST etc.

This book really DOES feel like truly warp-tainted Khorne marines AND FRIENDS.

I get that taking possessed as a tax in the Slaughtercult feels annoying, but to this point I have never felt that they really handicapped me. 'Tax' units are all over the place these days - vypers for eldar, assaulties or devs (depending on your tastes - as a Sallie, I'm suspicious of anything 'fast' in my marines and just want more devs lol)...

The use of tax units at this point is the ONLY thing keeping formations even somewhat balanced, really. It also puts the shine on units that otherwise wouldn't see as much play. My armies are starting to look more diverse, which makes more sense to me. My Daemonkin are a great example of this with only a couple repeated units at 2k - a pair of maulers, pair of small melta raptor squads, and 3x8 cultists are the only repeats.

Anyway - I think it's a great book personally. I'm a relative newcomer to Chaos generally, but I'm REALLY glad I picked Khorne ~3 years ago when I decided to renegade-up my DIY chapter. I've been increasingly enthralled by the WE novels from Black Library as well... and I picked up a FW WE dread for a song recently. At this point, I may well end up with a small band of WE within my larger Khorne force - and it's nice to know that they will mix in to my list more or less seamlessly. What I really want is license from FW to include their Khorne Dreads in the the DK book.

Are there some things that I'd like in order to give some units a bit more of an edge? Certainly. But I learned not to get TOO hung up on small things like wargear when I lost my dual specials from my Sallie tacticals. Sometimes we have to play lists we love in spite of themselves... and if that means trying to get the most out of overpriced Berzerkers and Possessed, so be it. When they DO end up in assault in that latter half of the game, it all becomes worth it. In the meantime, FnP allows you to bludgeon, and bludgeon and slice, and bash and chop your way to victory. Just as the Lord of Blood intended.

KILL MAIM BURN

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Voss
15-06-2015, 17:49
Khorne Daemonkin encourages play styles which would probably be pleasing to Khorne. No sitting around pot shotting garbage! Just in your face talons and chainswords.

I feel this is the real reason so many Blood God devotees like the codex a great deal.

And they'd be wrong to do so. Khorne does not care how the blood flows, as long as it does.* Khorne does not equal braindead melee combatants, no matter how many times the current crop of GW developers take that easy out rather than continuing the development of the god who was master of all forms of warfare and perfectly happy giving his followers guns, siege equipment and giant weapon platforms so more things die.

*except by magic.

Poncho160
15-06-2015, 22:05
This is one of the best books GW have released in a loooong time, and when I say best, I mean from an all round perspective.

Firstly and most importantly it is fun to play with and against and it represents what most people think are Khorne armies as it feels super fluffy.

It has finally given a much needed plus to assaults, which is great and It provides a really nice game mechanic (blood tithe) which feels fluffy and is fun to use.

Finally it is not overpowered like the necron and eldar books, every other army can go toe to toe with it (although in my experience, pure Tyranid spawning lists tend not to do so well, just because of the amount of small units they produce, which are easy targets for the blood tithe).

All in all a super fun book :)

Mack
16-06-2015, 00:35
This is one of the best books GW have released in a loooong time, and when I say best, I mean from an all round perspective.

Firstly and most importantly it is fun to play with and against and it represents what most people think are Khorne armies as it feels super fluffy.

It has finally given a much needed plus to assaults, which is great and It provides a really nice game mechanic (blood tithe) which feels fluffy and is fun to use.

Finally it is not overpowered like the necron and eldar books, every other army can go toe to toe with it (although in my experience, pure Tyranid spawning lists tend not to do so well, just because of the amount of small units they produce, which are easy targets for the blood tithe).

All in all a super fun book :)

I think this sums it up.

KDK is not a power codex, but can be played very effectively. It offers a new twist (Blood tithes) not seen before except maybe power from pain (which was cool).

I am a big fan of this codex. I would rate it as follows:

Competitive game play: 6 (maybe a 7)

Fun factor: 9

Balance: 7 or 8
(while this is a CC codex, there are plenty of shooty options so you can build a shooty army, Khorne just isn't very pleased if you do)

Poncho160
16-06-2015, 13:17
There a lot if shooting options in this book, which was a nice surprise, plus it can occasionally surprise your oppenent, if they were expecting a pure assault force, haha

Herkamer63
16-06-2015, 16:29
Wow when it came out all I saw was people complaining about it, but from reading this thread it actually sounds really fluffy and interesting - and powerful - traits which don't align nearly as often as they should.
I think with that it's Chaos, a lot of Chaos players take issue with a lot of what the past 2 codices have had, with good reason. Honestly, I'm surprised with the positive reactions we are getting on this thread.

Herkamer63
16-06-2015, 16:42
This codex does make me wonder if the next CSM codex will be about the legions and renegade chapters, or if GW will break up the codex (ala adeptus mechanicus): Legions book(s), Renegade Chapter book(s), and keeping them under the banner of Codex:CSM. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened.

Poncho160
16-06-2015, 18:27
If this book is a benchmark I am Looking forward to the other 3 Daemonkin books (if they happen) :)

Mack
16-06-2015, 21:54
If this book is a benchmark I am Looking forward to the other 3 Daemonkin books (if they happen) :)

One can hope. There is a part of me that wonders if they don't do the other daemonkin books, then the main CSM book is based on the different CSM chapters specifically. since there are no world eaters in KDK, it does make you wonder...

Poncho160
16-06-2015, 23:40
I'm convinced that GW main will not do the Traitor Marines at all and will leave it solely to FWs HH series. Why have two parts of the same company doing the same product and making similar rules?

I mean can you see GW putting out a Thousand Sons kit, when FW will be doing one possibly next year?

You could say, "what about the loyalists?" But i feel they sell in such quantities that both GW main and FW both doing them makes financial sense.

Dr.Clock
17-06-2015, 04:23
Yeah - a fair point. I'm REALLY digging the most recent Word Bearers stuff - THAT's what Possessed are supposed to be IMO.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Freman Bloodglaive
17-06-2015, 07:07
Comparison with the standard Chaos Space Marine Codex.

And it plays like the popular perception of a Khorne army should.