PDA

View Full Version : Combining a warhammer 40 k campaign with a battlefleet gothic campaign

Malefic Scholar
15-06-2015, 21:04
How would you guys do it? Obviously the rules for capturing a system would be different, with alot more planetary assault games for the BFG player. but beyond that any ideas?

Khorneflakes01
16-06-2015, 02:43
You could use the planetary empires tiles, do like a couple planets of 8-10 tiles. Have a few in between the planets as "space battlefields" and when a player wants to go from planet to planet they have to win a BFG game or control a space battlefield near the ones they want.

Althenian Armourlost
16-06-2015, 03:09
I have used these rules to organise a campaign based on the Valedor stories between Imperium, Eldar and Tyranids. Imperium and Tyranids started with 1.5 planets each, Eldar with 0 (they can invade a planet without having control of space due to webway gates).

Have a planet as a group of 6-8 tiles, 3 planets total. One planet belongs to one faction, one planet to another. The 'middle' planet is divided 50/50.
Have bonuses and special rules based on controlling specific tiles. Fighting in a manufactorum tile is always nightfighting + Cityfight for example
In order to invade a planet, you have to control it's airspace, by winning a BFG game.
Attacking the first tile on a planet (from orbit, or from the webway) is always a 5,000 point apocalypse game.
The first tile you own on a planet is a 'base' tile. Attacking a 'base' tile on a planet is always an even, 2000 point pitched battle of annihilation. No VPs, fight until elimination.
If you attack any other tile, you have 500 points for every adjacent tile you control
All battles are maelstrom.

Smaller armies are more manoeuvrable, so:

If an army has a 500 point disadvantage, they choose to go/deploy first or second.
If an army has a 1,000 point disadvantage, they can choose to go/deploy first or second, and choose deployment pattern
If an army has a 1,500 point disadvantage, they can choose to go/deploy first or second, and choose deployment pattern, set up the terrain and choose before deployment what turn numbers are nightfighting. (1,000 points of DE vs 2,500 of IG with this rules was actually an excellent game)

This meant that battles were usually fair and fun. In the end, the imperium won - they drove off the 'nids and held back the Eldar well enough that the Eldar only had a toehold on 2 planets by the time we called it.

Malefic Scholar
16-06-2015, 04:53
Not bad suggestions but i was hoping to include BFG campaign rules.
What i was thinking is a renown system similar to the BFg campaign rules.(rolling for reinforcements and what not.

Less 40 k with a Bfg game or two more like 2 campaigns linked together.

mikesmight123
16-06-2015, 05:30
You could base your rules of star wars battlefront ll galactic conquest. You can make up a currency that each planet generates a set amount. You can use this currency to buy access to special troops (the better units in the codex). You can also build ships and you can place them over planets and sectors of space. Then when two fleets meet you have ur space battle, and If you win your clear to continue the attack on the planet.

You can also buy upgrades that allow u to take extra points.

If you want more detail just search up the battle front ll galactic conquest mode.

Malefic Scholar
16-06-2015, 05:52
You could base your rules of star wars battlefront ll galactic conquest. You can make up a currency that each planet generates a set amount. You can use this currency to buy access to special troops (the better units in the codex). You can also build ships and you can place them over planets and sectors of space. Then when two fleets meet you have ur space battle, and If you win your clear to continue the attack on the planet.

You can also buy upgrades that allow u to take extra points.

If you want more detail just search up the battle front ll galactic conquest mode.

The battlefleet gothic campaign rules already kind of cover that. commanders gain renown which(once you reach a certain threshold of renown points) lets you make more requests for
reinforcements,refits and in the case of any imperial fleets space marine assistance. i dont forsee much difficulty in adapting this to the ground battles.

Malefic Scholar
16-06-2015, 05:59
Id aslo want to use An exsisting overall army list from each faction that would include every ship and ground unit from every faction, thus encouraging some strategic deployment of resources.

For instance a space marines player has a standard battle company he could have 2 assault squads and 3 tactical squads on one planet and the rest scattered around. In the Bfg campaign each player chooses fleets from his overall roster of ships and uses those in game. I figure we could do the same for each particular front, with ground commanders selecting their forces from units present on said planet.

HelloKitty
16-06-2015, 12:16
http://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/Badab2015/GrandCrusade_40k.pdf

totgeboren
16-06-2015, 13:51
You can of course also fight boarding actions using the Zone Mortalis rules, though the scales are just so massively different. I mean, one single hit and run attack in BFG is the prefect scale for a full ZM campaign in 40k scale (I think HH book 3 has got rules for exactly those kinds of campaigns).

Though you can of course also resolve the Hit and run campaign using the BFG rules, by rolling a single dice to see what the boarders managed to destroy. :p

Malefic Scholar
16-06-2015, 23:33
http://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/Badab2015/GrandCrusade_40k.pdf
Oh my... i think i could work this

Malefic Scholar
17-06-2015, 14:51
Next question would be would anyone want to participate? it all being online and whatnot.

HelloKitty
17-06-2015, 19:26
We just finished our annual campaign with that ruleset. Its quite detailed, which is both a good and a bad thing (we had 59 players, and only 24 made it to the end as the rules were too complex for most to enjoy). There is also probably some more fleshing out that needs done with it. Good luck though and feel free to borrow from it. Look forward to seeing what you do.

https://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/

That is the blog that went with it.

We came to a conclusion and decided for a pair of campaign days to end the campaign. Secessionists won!

Malefic Scholar
20-06-2015, 05:53
We just finished our annual campaign with that ruleset. Its quite detailed, which is both a good and a bad thing (we had 59 players, and only 24 made it to the end as the rules were too complex for most to enjoy). There is also probably some more fleshing out that needs done with it. Good luck though and feel free to borrow from it. Look forward to seeing what you do.

https://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/

That is the blog that went with it.

We came to a conclusion and decided for a pair of campaign days to end the campaign. Secessionists won!

I have had that issue as well. I was thinking perhaps each faction gets X amount of points to spend on ground troops and Y amount of troops to spend on a fleet.
Bfg games would be fought as described by the rules, while Land games would be fought using troops drawn from a list of those present on the planet.

for example an imperial player has 6 tactical squads 80 leman russes and 2 squads of guardsmen present on that planet. they could choose troops from this list up to the maximum points decided upon for that game.

reinforcements would operate the same for the BFG players. But something similar would need to happen for ground troops. Say for every successful roll the faction leader can recruit a choice of X amount of points and stick it on their capital world?