PDA

View Full Version : Which Guard Force for My Skitarii Allies?

Captain Ron
17-06-2015, 00:17
I just started a Skitarii army and I want to get an Imperial Guard army to be allies so I am debating between Tallarn and Catachans. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions one way or another?

Voss
17-06-2015, 00:33
Tallarn, being a dead range, are lacking a whole slew of options in current codex.

On the other hand, they're much better sculpts then the mutated freaks that make up the catachan range.

Personally I'd rather deliberately forgo a couple weapon choices than buy such poor quality models, which frankly the sculptor should be deeply ashamed of.

Aluinn
17-06-2015, 02:10
Tallarn seems to fit best because of the whole deserts of Mars thing, and are probably more in need of representation. FW Tallarns are awesome though they don't cover everything, but then again I do believe the old Tallarn infantry squad in pewter is still available for a surprisingly reasonable price. (I'd use Veterans to make it more reasonable :) -- and to have three FW snipers because they look awesome.)

And agreeing with Voss, Catachans are just kinda ugly with the possible exception of the command squad.

Rules-wise, though, the Troops selections of Astra Militarum allies are more of a tax to Skitarii, since Skitarii infantry is amazing, and the benefits come mostly from Primaris Psykers, Ministorum Priests, and perhaps the Lord Commissar, none of which belong to a specific IG regiment. So I would really recommend taking a single squad of Vets and then loading up on your choice of the juicy synergistic HQ options. (My choice would be Psykers because of course AdMech has none, and they are quite good ... and because Priests are very good but don't fit fluff-wise as the Ministorum considers the AdMech borderline heretical.)

lordbeefy
17-06-2015, 07:31
Im a massive guard fan but dont like either the tallarn or the catachan minis.

First choice is scions with their breather masks and baroque armour detailing they will mesh in nicely with the mechanicus aesthetic. Because of the fast elite feel of them you wont need many to fit in and fill out slots nicely.

Commisar Ibram Gaunt
17-06-2015, 08:15
I would echo the above but would say a steel legion army would aslo fit well

El Torro
17-06-2015, 08:57
A lot of people have Catachan armies, few have Tallarn. For this reason I'd go with Tallarn, as long as you're confident that you'll be able to get hold of the models you want.

The Forgeworld models are indeed good and help flesh the Tallarns out a bit. Unfortunately Forgeworld have discontinued the range. I also pretty much never see them for sale on Ebay so I'm not sure if this will help you much. The Tallarn heavy weapon teams from Forgeworld are especially good.

You can use the Tallarn rules from the Imperial Armour series too. I haven't read the rules for them recently but from what I remember you're probably better off just using the Astra Militarum codex.

Oboc
18-06-2015, 15:15
If you got catachans and stuck victoria miniatures gas mask heads and air tanks on them, replace lasguns with ak's and you have chem dogs. That's on my list anyhow

Ghazbad_Facestompa
18-06-2015, 20:18
I'd go Tallarn because they're a cool idea and the Catachans have awful models. I've even seen some pretty nice Tallarns (http://talasaprime.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/alternative-tallarn.html) made with a variety of parts from other companies.

Kaiserdean
18-06-2015, 20:32
I voted Tallarn. The models aren't that hard to get and the metal is available on the GW site.

BUT, I'll also suggest Van Saar from Necromunda. They look like Fremen from Dune.

Commissar Davis
19-06-2015, 12:31
Neither, go Voystorian as they have very close links to the Mechcanicum.