PDA

View Full Version : Least Used Astra Militarum Armies?

Lamont Cranston
17-06-2015, 18:09
I am wondering if any of you have ever seen a full Tallarn, Mordian, Catachan, Praetorian, Valhallan, Vostroyan or Steel Legion Army? I have seen a few that are just a miss mash of the armies above or a few in battle reports online, but I personally have never seen a full IG of any of the above in person except Steel Legion, and that was back when the Armageddon book was released. What do you think the least common Astra Militarum army is or how would you rank them? I am assuming Praetorians because they have been out of print the longest, but they all seem rare.'

Update: I forgot to include Guant's Ghosts GW models, but I mean acutal GW models not conversions from Catachans or some other range.

Necrontyr
17-06-2015, 18:25
I have a full Mordian army, and have seen all of the above except for Praetorians. They're not as commons as Cadians or even Catachans, but they are out there.

Also, Gaunt's Ghosts were actual GW models, though it would have been pretty difficult to build an entire army as they only had the command squad and 4 or 5 different lasgun poses.

Angelwing
17-06-2015, 18:47
I've personally seen catachan, tallarn and praetorian. I own a steel legion and an entire necromunda escher guard force.

Getifa Ubazza
17-06-2015, 20:15
I had a complete Tallarn army at one point. Only one I have never seen is Mordian. I've seen a couple squads of them and a battle report once, but never a full army.

Vipoid
17-06-2015, 22:26
How are you defining these armies, if you see what I mean?

Is this to do with models and/or paint schemes?

Or, is it to so with army composition (e.g. using Sentinels, Flamers, Demo Charges etc. in a Catachan army)?

Or both?

ColShaw
17-06-2015, 22:27
I own a full Mordian, Catachan, and 2 Cadian (well, sort of) armies.

Snake Tortoise
17-06-2015, 22:49
Many of those model ranges don't have every special weapon do they? I remember looking into using the alternative guard models because the Cadians as they are are pretty boring to me, but being put off by having to convert for certain weapons. I love writing lists, assembling, painting and playing, but I hate having to convert stuff that isn't a simple case of swapping a head/weapon etc.

DeathGlam
18-06-2015, 00:33
The only one i have never seen in the flesh is a Tallarn army but they are all rare other then Cadians, Catachans or the Forge World two.

Khorneflakes01
18-06-2015, 02:02
I have yet to see a Valhallan or Vostroyan army either in playing or on youtube batreps. I think it would be super cool to see one, but I think there would be more variety if they were plastic models instead of metal. Same reason sisters are few and far between IMO

Endobai
18-06-2015, 05:55
I have seen almost all of the IG armies except Tanith, but there was only one blister and one box released for the regiment.

I personally own at least a platoon of Vostroyans, Cadians and Praetorians (the last ones were essentially bought for a penny on eBay - very, very lucky) plus some Gaunt's Ghosts and a couple of Tallarns (FW Snipers and some metals).
Ellysians and DKOK are not on the list so I'll not describe them.

A friend owns large Steel Legion force so that is almost all.

I've never really seen Attillans in a number larger than 6, so I guess there is an 'army' (if Rough Riders can constitute an army) nobody collects in my area.

duffybear1988
18-06-2015, 07:49
I have 2000 points of Tallarn troops and 2000 points of old Cadian and Catachan figures that I use as deathworld veterans when I play 4th edition. It's a shame that all of the old metal figures are far superior to the plastics that replaced them.

Beppo1234
18-06-2015, 12:21

my full steel legion army

I don't think the poll is too fair, due to the fact that the other flavors of IG/AM aren't as fully supported as CATs or CADs

Bloodknight
20-06-2015, 11:40
I've got a couple hundred Mordians. Sadly no whole army picture, but here's a snapshot from one of my Detolfs....

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/ninurta666/Imps/Foto-0007.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/ninurta666/Imps/Foto-0023.jpg

That said, this poll will be won by a mile by the Praetorians because those models were really hard to get in comparison to the others.
I used to have the army box from 1997, but since they're only a headswap from the Mordians (with the exception of the bugler, banner bearer and one of the lasgun people poses that were not available for Mordians). I've still got the original flag sticker somewhere, I sold off the rest to a guy who really wanted them :).

Althenian Armourlost
20-06-2015, 12:19
I have a huge guard army modelled on the redemptionist crusade from necromunda. The main models are:

Necromunda redemptionists
Necromunda cawdor
valhallans
2nd ed chaos cultists

I have no idea of the points totals but it's maybe 5-8,000 points once all the vehicles are factored in. I don't have many vehicles compared to the number of men, but I have a lot of forgeworld towed artillery (6 towed earthshakers, haha). All the infantry are metal. My infantry core is:

Command squad, 4 meltaguns
Platoon command, 4 flamers
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
10 heavy weapon support squads (6x3 heavy weapon, 4x3 forgeworld towed artillery)

I actually field this as an army.... and it actually started out as a necromunda gang in the mid/late 90s when outlanders came out. The problem is nowadays due to the escalation of rules intensity, it really doesn't stand a chance against many armies.

IncrediSteve
20-06-2015, 13:21
I have a huge guard army modelled on the redemptionist crusade from necromunda. The main models are:
//
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
20 men, 2 melta
10 heavy weapon support squads (6x3 heavy weapon, 4x3 forgeworld towed artillery)

I actually field this as an army.... and it actually started out as a necromunda gang in the mid/late 90s when outlanders came out. The problem is nowadays due to the escalation of rules intensity, it really doesn't stand a chance against many armies.

Allow me to be the voice of corruption whispering in your ear. Suppose an influential Demagogue were to quietly subvert your army to Chaos. You could field this army using Lost and the Damned rules from Imperial Armor 13 starting out at roughly 1190pts:

HQ
Demagogue squad 3 bodies 1 special 1 heavy

Troops
Renegade Infantry Platoon
20 bodies, 4 Special, 2 Heavy

Renegade Infantry Platoon

Heavy Support
Support Platoon
6 Heavy Weapons

Renegade Artillery Battery
3 Earthshaker Emplacements

Renegade Artillery Battery
3 Earthshaker Emplacements

Althenian Armourlost
21-06-2015, 12:26
Allow me to be the voice of corruption whispering in your ear. Suppose an influential Demagogue were to quietly subvert your army to Chaos. You could field this army using Lost and the Damned rules from Imperial Armor 13 starting out at roughly 1190pts:

haha that is fantastic. I shall be trying this all summer.

mdauben
21-06-2015, 13:57
I own a 100% Catachan Jungle Fighters army. I've also got the figures to put together at least a modest sized Praetorian army.

Back in the day when I first started playing (pre plastics) mixed armies seemed to be the norm. Nowadays I see mostly Cadian armies as the are the cheapest and most readily available flavor of IG. When I do see anything else, it's usually a dedicated player who wants something that not everyone else is playing, so they are generally pretty strict about fielding a pure Vosyrian or Steel Legion or whatever, force.

From a Galaxy far, far away...

herohammer
22-06-2015, 08:16
I have actually seen several praetorian armies. Never seen pure Talarn or Vostroyan in the flesh though I don't think.

iamcjb
22-06-2015, 08:56
Never seen Vostroyan or Praetorian. I really wish I had bought the Praetorian army box at the time. Still the best looking army imo.

Kakapo42
22-06-2015, 10:00
What I really want to know now is how many Savlar Chem-dog armies there are still running around. :shifty:

GrandmasterWang
22-06-2015, 10:37
I've never seen a full or even partial Tallarn desert army.

Im guessing in the current political climate they won't be making a comeback

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kaiserdean
22-06-2015, 22:38
I have Praetorians, Valhallans, and a ton of squats I use as IG. My shame is that only vehicles are the only things painted (I use them in all three armies.)

AndrewGPaul
23-06-2015, 08:53
My Guard army currently has a platoon each of Praetorians, metal Catachans and metal Cadians. I've got 60 Valhallans which my feel the caress of the paintbrush at some point, and some Tallarn rough riders (on horses and on mukaali), as well as a squad each of Mordians and Steel Legion, and some 2nd edition Ogryns and Ratlings.

I've even got enough for a platoon or so of 1st edition plastic and metal guardsmen.