PDA

View Full Version : Beating an opponent so bad you look like a WAAC player.

cuda1179
18-06-2015, 22:27
Generally speaking, I prefer games that are NOT one-sided. A close game is much funner to me than trouncing an opponent. That being said, I have brutally (and sometimes unintentionally) beaten an opponent so badly that I swear they might have started crying.

Let's hear everyone's best case of this.

For me, it was 3rd edition. The local gaming store was holding a 6-week campaign. Each game you played would effect your next game in either a positive or negative way, depending on how badly you won or were beaten. For example, if you were completely wiped-out, you would start next weeks game with 10% fewer points in your list.

My list at the time was a Chapter Approved Necron list. 2000 points, two kitted-out Lords, two units of Immortals, unit of Destroyers, two units of Scarabs (old, non swarm, self destruct style), and four units of Warriors. I used this list every game, no matter the opponent, for 2 years.

My opponent in the first game of the Campaign had Space Wolves. His list (as much as I can remember) was Bjorn, some low-level leader, Leman Russ Exterminator, Predator with autocannon, Unit of Long Fangs, Grey hunters in a Rhino, Grey Hunters on foot, a small squad of terminators, and a large unit of Wolf Claws.

After two very lucky turns of shooting I had caused his Long fangs to fall off the table, the walking Grey Hunters and Wolf Claws to fall back into a crossfire, Bjorn, the Leman Russ, and the Predator were destroyed, and his terminators only had two guys left. I had only lost a few warriors by this point. He conceeded before his second turn.

He was a super-nice guy and I felt horrible, even though it really wasn't me powergaming. Then I felt REALLY bad when I found out that in his next game he had so many negative modifiers to his army that his next opponent basically did the same thing to him without effort.

K3nn3rs
18-06-2015, 22:32
This week.

New guy in the club with a weak imperial guard army.

I only had Eldar with me... I got rid of all the formations/ seer council/ wraith knight and played with an avatar and aspect warriors to try and keep it fair.

It all went wrong for him- dice in my favour and against him. Even my attempt to play non- aggressively and give him advice on how to counter my tactics didn't seem to help. I had to work hard not to table him by turn 2!

Theocracity
18-06-2015, 22:44
A couple weeks ago I had my Orks face a Khorne Daemonkin list for the first time. Through a series of unfortunate events - the list I decided to try out having tons of wasted points against Daemonkin, the Relic game type, and my boneheaded tactical mistakes - the game was basically over by the bottom of turn 1.

Protip - even if you really want to try out a big mob of infiltrating 'Ard Boyz, you should probably go back to the drawing board way before you start the game within 18" of Bloodcrushers and a Herald with the 6" charge banner.

I did keep playing and managed to get some amusingly Orkish moral victories, but it might be the hardest I've ever faceplanted in a game.

I guess that doesn't count as 'beating so bad I look like a WAAC' since I lost and my opponent wasn't WAAC in the slightest, but I still felt like sharing.

DeathGlam
18-06-2015, 23:53
The only one that i can think of is my Dark Eldar against a Nids player who turned up with Nidzilla style list about 6 months back, i hate winning games like that, when i know my opponent had a really bad nights gaming, i would much rather lose but have a laugh.

Perth
18-06-2015, 23:58
Last edition I was playing in a tournament, I believe at 1500, with a Space Marine gunline supported by some allied Tau, including a buffbot Commander and a full unit of splitfireing Broadsides. In the final round I was matched against a fully meched Dark Eldar list. He won the roll to go first and lined up on the edge of his deployment zone to rush me, and then I promptly stole the initiative. Each Broadside split fired and blew up their target, while the rest of my gunline managed to completely eliminate anything with an armor value in the first shooting phase. With absolutely no hope, he conceded before even touching his models again.

I felt pretty bad, but still only took third due to getting no points in the second round against Daemons, due to not getting passed turn 2 because of his horridly long set-up time.

Losing Command
19-06-2015, 01:00
Had a game using the Maelstrom missions and me fielding a kinda silly armylist with lots of scouts, marines, and landspeeders (this was the the 6th edition marine codex) and the mission had you draw 6 tactical objectives turn one, one less each turn thereafter. My opponent had SoB with Black Templars allied to them, but since my armylist was kind of silly we both thought it would be a fair game. Then my first turn happenend ...
Each combat squad of lascannon devastators blew up a crucial vehicle, the squadron of assault cannon speeders annihilated his devastators, the landspeeder typhoons blew up an excorsist, the landspeeder storm blinded another unit of marines, and the tactical marines blew up a Rhino and a unit of sisters. During all that I somehow completed all 6 objectives (and first blood obviously) His first turn the Saint (which was the warlord) failed to get back up, the excorsists failed to blow up a single landspeeder (they didn't even jink) and in the end the only damage was 5 of my tactical marines dieing. We tried one more turn to see if things got a bit back in line but it quickly became clear that the dice had decide this game to be a massacre. I felt like a total jerk :(

Althenian Armourlost
19-06-2015, 01:38
If I have time and I trounce someone I offer to re-play the game with switched armies. Usually people say no, but one time my opponent did, and I kicked the **** out of him with his own army too. That made me feel bad.

Knifeparty
19-06-2015, 01:41
I facerolled a Ravenguard player a couple weeks ago. I've just recently got back into 40K and have had 10-15 games with my Chaos Marines. I've sort of over compensated by bringing a good army after getting rolled every single game of 6th edition. So far in 7th i've only lost a single game to Tyrannids.

Raven guard player scouted his entire army up, but he forgot that Maulerfiends move 12". Once I locked down his main battle line, my Blind fury Khorne lord on a bike just butchered the rest of his army. Even taking out his Captain with the Shield Eternal in one combat. I even rolled Black Crusader on my Warlord traits which swung the battle even more decidedly in my favour. I hit him so fast and so hard he didn't even have time to react. Done by turn 3.

Sometimes the dice gods favour you, sometimes they don't. Some games are just like that and you can't help it.

Zogash
19-06-2015, 01:45
Weeell, I had a game just recently, only I was the one getting trounced. :D

It was my first game with the new SM codex vs my buddy's Orks, and everything that could go wrong, went wrong: I started by rolling the rending-for-1-ranged-unit warlord trait... in a pretty much all-melee Raven Guard army. :shifty: Re-rolled. The same result again. :p Deployed Korvydae and my Vanguard aggressively, aggressivly scouted my Land Speeder Storms, aaaaand lost initiative.

Orks first turn, 1st Trukk filled with Shootaboyz downs 1st Land Speeder Storm - 2 glances, 2 donked jink saves. Fine. Lootaz down 2nd Storm - 1 pen, donked save, 6 :cries: The embarked Scouts bail and get annihilated by the 2nd Loota squad :skull: 2nd Trukk filled with Shootaboyz shoots at Korvydae and my Vets, 5 wounds. I decide not to risk losing any of my Vets, Korvydae does have a 2+ save after all... 1, 1, 1, 2, 4. Bye bye Korvydae :skull: Shokk attack gun fires at the remaining Vets (through a ruin), hits and wounds 5. No biggie, I've got a 2+ cover save, not a probl... 1, 1, 1, 1, 4 :wtf: End of shooting phase, my vets fail their morale check (of course) and run off the board.
When, in my turn, my Assault Marines lost two to Overwatch and then failed to connect a re-rollable (!) 6" charge on the trukk that smoked their Captain, I conceded.

Shortest game I've played in a looong time... :D

MagicHat
19-06-2015, 03:57
twice I have felt terrible after a game, both times tournaments with my BA.

First versus a really young kid with a SM/IG army that was pretty much stuff he bought at random/took from the loan armies.
He kept making the same mistakes. 10 tactical terminators, versus my plasma devastator squad with Prescience Librarian on standby. I kept telling him to spread out, and he didn't. I put my 10 marine assault squad so his termie deathstar could achieve some glory, and they managed to kill one of them in overwatch and my LC sergeant managed to put a wound on his terminator captain.
He won, consolidated, and bunched up again. I put a 5 marine assault squad, including my Librarian within assault range, and on his turn, he shot everyone down except the Librarian, who fails his Ld and flees behind my battleline, leaving his remaining termies stranded right in front of my devastators.

Second was against one of my favorite persons in the club, whom was running a very fluffy Salamanders list with 2 walking tacticals (+1 in a rhino) and TH/SS terminators. I took plasma devastators, a Knight and a vindicator. My Librarian periling took out more of my points then he did.

WarsmithGarathor94
19-06-2015, 08:02
In a 1000 point 3 way game of kill points my nurgle army managed to kick both blood angel and daemon kin ass. Was rather funny as my champ with power fist killed his lord...

Angelwing
19-06-2015, 09:07
It happens every now and then, with me winning totally, or being beaten totally. I think its a measure of your maturity if you can take the loss with grace and accept its a game of toy soldiers because next game they'll be back to fight again. Its also a measure of your maturity to act with good grace if your the winner.
I've seen some silly behaviour by 'adults' when they have totally crushed an opponent / been totally crushed that borders on shameful.

For a story of my own, back when I was a redshirt, I ran an intro game of necromunda for a young customer. As the staffer, I'm generally supposed to lose to give the new customer a great feeling. However hard I tried to lose, the dice abandoned my opponent completely and it turned into a whitewashing in my favour. I was a bit embarrassed, and I did offer a rematch swapping sides, but the offer was declined. :( And no, they didn't buy the necromunda boxset.

Snake Tortoise
19-06-2015, 09:50
In 3rd ed I had a 1000 point eldar army using the Biel-tan rules so it was kind of an unbound army (though I did field a unit of guardians on foot because I felt bad about it). Anyway, it just had so many good units it won every game (except the very first where I drew to IG) and eventually I got sick of using it, considered it a bit overpowered and shelved it for good. The only army I've done that I wasn't really attached to

I can't really remember specific examples of battering opponents heavily, though I know it happened. Most memorable was the time I lost with my 3.5 Word Bearers in 4th ed to a starcannon spam eldar list that sat right at the back of the table and gave me a shellacking. I knew I had a weakness to armies that could sit back and kill my 1000 points of CSMs before they closed in and summoned the remaining 500 points of daemons, but that was the only game my weakness was truly exposed and it was a crushing defeat. But as they say; you learn far more from a loss than a win and I learned some valuable lessons that day!

Memnos
19-06-2015, 10:06
Second edition. I was playing Wood Elves vs Dark Elves.

I shot a single unit of archers vs a single unit of his. They were Ld 10 because of being within the leadership bubble of their general.

They failed. And broke. And broke another unit. Those in turn broke 2 repeater bolt throwers, which ran off the table. It also panicked two other units that ran off the table, which broke two more.

He failed 8 Ld 10 tests and 5 Ld 8 tests. The only thing left was his general, who was immune to panic because she was Hellebron on a pegasus.

13 failed leadership tests in the first turn. They never rallied. 4 others ran off the board in the second turn.

Russell's teapot
19-06-2015, 10:36
The last UK GT under 4th ed or first under 5th.

I was playing my DeathWing. Opponent had a generically bad CSM army. Infiltrated a squad of tooled up chosen, some horrendously expensive lord in a rhino at 24" from my board edge.

I went first.

2 Land raider crusaders and 3 squads of shooty terminators later & he'd lost over half of his army's points without moving.

I think I lost a couple of terminators that game.

Same tournament, next day, against an entirely jumpy BA army with a min Death Company in a rhino.

He charged the DC in their rhino at me & left the rest of his force on his board edge.

I blew up the rhino in turn 2 & ran away - he couldn't catch me in time. I won without taking a casualty, he lost having only lost a rhino. Game time - 20 minutes including set up.

He's a friend of my brother, and still gets grief for it to this day.

Abaraxas
19-06-2015, 10:46
Our little group plays 2nd edition, we had a 2 on 1 game with me and another guy on one side taking 1000pts of Space Orks and Chaos respectively, and our opponent had 2000pts of Squats, split into 2 lists to keep it fair.

The Chaos player and I were pretty scared of the Squat army, which included a couple of Rhinos, a Land Raider and of course a good smattering of ranged firepower.
Between my mob of Deathskulls and my allies' infiltrating Black Legion veterans we had pretty much devastated the Squats by turn 2.

I felt really bad to be honest, the Squat player took it all in stride though- our little group is small but we're all good sports.

ColShaw
19-06-2015, 13:58
I've had it happen both ways.

Most one-sided wins:
1) 3rd Ed, my opponent was using an all-Genestealer assault army; he was obviously intending to step on some Space Marine players. I brought my Mordian Iron Guard, and was experimenting with Hellhounds for that tournament; 3 Hellhounds and a Griffon pretty much swept his infantry clean off the table. I lost 1 squad of guys. He lost his army, quit the tournament, and left in a huff.
2) Another 3rd Ed game, also with the Mordians, against an Eldar army. 4 turns, table wipe, no IG casualties at all. I just killed his long-range stuff, then his close-range stuff, then his assault stuff. Nothing got close enough to do damage.
3) 5th Ed, IG against IG, again with my beloved Mordians. He was using an all-mechanized Grenadier army. I destroyed or immobilized all his transports on turn 1, with truly ridiculous luck, and shook or stunned his tank support. Turn 2 I killed the remaining tanks and started knocking down infantry as they tried to advance. Turn 3, it was all over, with a squad and a half of Grenadiers hiding behind cover and taking Mortar fire. Again, no Mordian casualties.

On the flipside, there was the tournament where I made the mistake of using Codex: Catachans. I ended up facing off against a Necron phalanx on a table with sparse cover, and no woods. I was more or less totally helpless. I think I killed about 6 Necron Warriors, and lost my entire army.

gwarsh41
19-06-2015, 14:38
I played a game this week where I was doing really well with my Daemons. Another player walked by and saw, then mentioned, "Well that is what happens when you play Gwarsh41!" I am pretty sure it was tongue in cheek, but still made me worry. My daemon list wasn't a WAAC list, it was an all comers list, no summoning, named characters, spam or anything.

I know that a friend thinks I am WAAC now, just because he can't seem to beat me. Lots of comments on how everything in my army is overpowered. Last I remember it was that my plaguebearers are too powerful. I have played him once in the past 6 months or so.

WarsmithGarathor94
19-06-2015, 14:50
I played a game this week where I was doing really well with my Daemons. Another player walked by and saw, then mentioned, "Well that is what happens when you play Gwarsh41!" I am pretty sure it was tongue in cheek, but still made me worry. My daemon list wasn't a WAAC list, it was an all comers list, no summoning, named characters, spam or anything.

I know that a friend thinks I am WAAC now, just because he can't seem to beat me. Lots of comments on how everything in my army is overpowered. Last I remember it was that my plaguebearers are too powerful. I have played him once in the past 6 months or so.

I know the feeling I've been told the hell cult and my defiler are op LOL

cuda1179
19-06-2015, 16:17
I've had it happen both ways.

On the flipside, there was the tournament where I made the mistake of using Codex: Catachans. I ended up facing off against a Necron phalanx on a table with sparse cover, and no woods. I was more or less totally helpless. I think I killed about 6 Necron Warriors, and lost my entire army.

I had a friend that this happened to as well. 4th edition, he was playing Tyranids in a tournament. There were 8 tables, and you were randomly assigned to a table each of the 4 games of the tournament. Of those 4 games he got stuck on the same board 3 times. It was a canyon running from one corner of the table to the opposite corner, with a river at the bottom of the canyon, and the other corners had small flat areas for deployment. The only cover was one small bush on each side of the table (outside of the deployment zones). In those three games he faced off against Iron Warriors twice, and shooty IG.

Konovalev
19-06-2015, 16:32
I was playing the latest ork codex for the first time using the Green Tide, and 3 units of loota's. My opponent was using the latest Space Wolf codex for the first time using Bjorn, the LoW on the space sled, and a mix of terminators and power armor units.

Turn 1 he tried to march Bjorn and the sled guy up the firing lane my loota squads were covering. The lootas opened up with something like 80 shots on the sled guy and cut him down in a single turn of shooting. Bjorn fell the next. And by turn 5 he was tabled. He kept holding his units back and assaulting me only when a given unit couldn't get away anymore. Needless to say the green tide gobbled his units up one by one without trouble.

As fun as it was, I felt bad about it because it was clearly not fun for him.

WarsmithGarathor94
19-06-2015, 19:49
Oh here's another funny one my first game with pure daemons in 7th vs the previous eldar book. My 7 flesh hounds and 3 flamers between them ran through most of his list at 1000 points even my burning chariot annoyed the hell out of him

jeffersonian000
19-06-2015, 21:27
5th Ed, Daemonhunter codex, pure GK triple Land Raider list versus 5th Ed SM codex Ultramarines, 1500 points. I never disembarked. Just rolled around tearing apart the blue boys in my three silver tanks, two Godhammers and a Crusader. Felt really bad for the guy, he just had no concept on how to deal with three AV14 vehicles. 750 points tabled his 1500. /cry

SJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madden
19-06-2015, 21:40
My 2 Most one sided wins for me was last ed first with my dark eldar against a mostly podded nid zilla list it wasnt pretty i even warned him not to play that way but he said he always played that way and never lost he was gone turn 2. The other against grey knights purifier spam with my deamons he sets up i steal init drop lots of flamers end of turn one he had 4 models left.
my biggest loss was with dark eldar verus chaos gaurd me failing jinks and him demeching me almost entierly on turn one then sitting back and bladting me off the board by t2 with arti. Sucks but it happens.

inq.serge
19-06-2015, 21:45
I tried my DE with a "heroes path"-formation against my friends BA last week.
I tabled him turn 3 and, since we play Tactical objectives, the score was 24-0 to to me.
We played a revenge game immediately after, 6 turns later I won 20-5.

Felt like overkill.

Gonna try my CSM or SoB next time.

Hengist
20-06-2015, 13:18
Be polite.

Play fairly.

Bring a list appropriate to the meta.

If you have done the above, then any negative opinion your opponent has formed of you is his own problem.

Kerrahn
20-06-2015, 16:05
In 3rd Ed I was playing a Genestealer-heavy 'Nid list with a few extra models thrown in (Tyrant, Carnifex, Zoanthrope, Lictor, a few little guys, pretty much the only models I owned) against a Tau player in a local tournament. I remember this 1 the most because he was bragging about his Broadside and it's S10 or whatever gun (quite powerful at the time).

After maybe 3 turns, Victory Points were 1400 for me (1000pts + 100 per table quarter I held) to his 0. He had killed 5 Genestealers out of a 12-model unit (need 50% for 1/2 VPs) and knocked 1 wound off my Carnifex (again, needed to cause 1/2 wounds, so 2, for 1/2 VPs).

And then running a nearly completely Genestealer, Broodlord, and Lictor force in 4th edition, playing another tournament run by the same guys in 4th Ed. Playing a Dark Eldar player, and apparently karma doesn't like people bragging about their Monsters (this time his Talos), and we had to play using the Escalation mission rule, which meant you could only start the game with 1 HQ unit and it was either 2 Troops, or all Troops not in Transports, can't exactly remember which, think it was the latter. Basically that alone meant I had pretty much my entire army on the field, while my opponent had 2 units of DE Warriors. A failed bunch of Reserve rolls in his turn 2 made sure there was no turn 3.

WarsmithGarathor94
20-06-2015, 17:56
A game I had earlier has made me feel like a WAAC player.
1500 points double CAD daemons and Chaos marines vs unbound AM SM and GK. All I lost was both units of bikes and all my cultists all he had left was 1 TH/S'S terminator

thanoson
20-06-2015, 18:14
My Nurgle daemons vs pretty much everyone is kinda like that. Worst drubbing I gave my buddies Iyaden list was my Herald Barnacus being charged by an avatar and a wraithlord in ruins. I survived the HoW's and split my attacks up on both of them with my Balesword. I killed both of them in the same turn as they both failed armor saves. My DP and GUO then wrecked shop on the rest of his units. Turn 3, he had 3 wraithguards and one wraithlord left.

My worst drubbing I received would be against an IG parking lot against my daemons. I have Plague drones and a soulgrinder that can shoot; that's it. I have my winged DP out front since he has a 2+jink. 1st shot of the game is from that monster hunter shell that Insta kills on my DP. Rolled a 1 and he's dead. He was the one with the Grimoire and Some biomancy spells to support the Beast of nurgle. After some well placed blast markers and failed reserved rolls, I was pretty much tabled by turn 4. The cullexes assassin made short work of my GUO. Worst possible matchup for me.

Falandris
21-06-2015, 11:41
Sadly I'm mostly on the recieving side, since I often play models I like visually. Additionally I always feel bad while playing the top-codexentries, because I dont feel the guy on the other side of the table is having a good time if I field them. Since I met noone over the years who feels like me in that regard, I am sometimes thinking to switch this attitude xD

What i remember most is getting owened by a GW-employee (5th ed) and by a bikerlist (7th ed).

The GW-Guy first (5th):
I just started Orks and was more into painting that time so I always came along to a local GW and asked for some tips to improve my paintingskills and get some help with my Orks in general. There was that one employee who helped me all the time and played Orks as well. At first he seemed like a pretty cool guy to hang around with. One day he suggested a game between each other, so I brought my Orks, he was fielding SM, 1250 Points. My army was something like a Waaaghboss, 2 big blobs of Orkboys, Deffkoptas, some Bosses in a Truck and some Killacans. His List was all about spaming templates - and I **** u not -there were endless amounts of them. So the game began and his friendly attitude totally switched to some kind of hardcore-tryhard-mode, while being a little bit bitchy about everything. He then threw so much ******* templates at me, that i lost the major part of my army in 2 turns. His Ironclad-Cybot then killed pretty much everything, what was left on the table. There was a small timewindow, in which he felt bad or something, because he put his thunderfirecannon of the board with absolutely no reason while saying something like "ah I always put my models away if I get the rules wrong, so I will remember them better the next time". I had some badluck as well there with some rolls but my list defenitely was no match for his one. He lost 5 Scouts, 5 Tacticals and his Scriptor (because of failed his psychic tests) and I lost everything :S I felt pretty uncomfortable and being counterlisted so hard after that game and havent played oder painted for about a year after that xD nice job

Btw. its amazing, how humans differ and change their attitude while playing a game.

Bikerlist (7th):
About the bikerloss is not much to share. I played a pretty weak csm-list fielding my new painted stuff, he came with a tryhard gravspam-bikerlist with some stormtalons and an Imperial Knight in it. I also drew pretty ****** cards (all mission objectives on his side), like that mattered at all... the game was pretty much over turn 2. I didnt had the impression that he felt bad at all, since I managed to kill his weird Knight, so he felt like it was fair I guess. But no offense, that guy is normally a pretty cool dude to hang around and have a game with.

Senbei
21-06-2015, 12:09
Necromunda... I fielded Redemptionists against an Arbites (!) force. Arbites were armoured with great ranged weapons. We rolled for underhive conditions..... pitch black (max shooting range of 6"). Cue Vents and Tunnels. Tabled the guy on turn 1. I would have felt more guilty if he hadn't been proxying with space-crusade chaos marines with no arms or backpacks. :P

Althenian Armourlost
21-06-2015, 12:23
I completely tabled someone in my second game yesterday.

I was trying out scatterlaser bikes to make the final decision whether to take SL or SC on them - I had 15 bikes in 3x5 units. I also had a squad of doomweavers, 3 fliers and a lynx at 2,000 points.

His army was Dark angels - 40 marines and a land raider crusader with a banner of devastation in it. 4 telepathy librarians, and one ravening squad. He had 18 lascannons, and almost 200 bolter shots at 24", and was using shrouded to make all his men have a 2+ cover save behind the aegis line.

I just sat the bikes 26" away and opened fire with the bikes, artillery and lynx from outside of lascannon range. Even with the cover saves, they just died in droves.

I usually play maelstrom only, but he said 'my army can't move, so we have to play a normal game' - and then insisted on setting up objectives after deployment so 3 of 6 objectives were beind his aegis line. I got first blood, and so just sat on my 3 objectives and shelled him until he quit. I didn't even feel sorry for him, trying to rig the game to play ego-boosting castle like that. He refused to move forwards by even one inch the whole time - a completely inflexible army, with completely inflexible tactics. If he had walked the marines and the land raider forwards they would have had a 3+ not a 2+ save, but at least would have been able to shoot.

The only thing he killed was one night spinner. Not a single jetbike casualty.

WolMan
21-06-2015, 13:22
My friends first game with Tau against my Space marines. We player 500 points game, we both had a battle forger army. He had a puffed commander, XV8 team and minimum unit of fire warriors. I had a chapter master on bike, ehield eternal, AA and a thunder hammer, 5-man bike squad and a 5-man tactical squad with ML and a unit of sniper scouts. The games was over around third turn when I tabled him, I shot Orbital bombardment to his HQ and suits and wiped them, then I just assaulted the rest of his army with my bikes and CM. I felt guilty, but oh boy what came after that, I've won only one game against him. I hate Tau, don't know how to play against them.

Itsacon
21-06-2015, 21:46
I've been teaching people Blood Bowl lately, and I've found it's really hard to find the line between just playing against yourself by proxy and absolutely wiping the floor with them.

I've actually held back on using my own Dwarfs (a well played dwarf team is pretty boring to play against, in my experience, so no fun for a new player), but even with the box-set human/orc pair up, experience makes so much difference.

Mr. Shine
21-06-2015, 21:59
One of my gaming group decided to organise a small combat patrol tournament to get us playing together more and there was quite a lot of interest at the announcement. Not knowing what people would bring, and not knowing many of the group (we're not particularly regular and many of us only know one or a few other people in the group through work or another hobby), combined with some of the discussions we've had on our group's Facebook page, I expected there to be a bit of competition and so brought my brand new, never used new models, all-Windrider force from my Eldar. It consisted of:

4x Windriders
-4x Scatter Lasers

4x Windriders
-4x Shuriken Cannon

3x Windriders
-3x Shuriken Cannon

Vyper
-2x Shuriken Cannon

Vyper
-2x Shuriken Cannon

Turned out the interest in the "tournament" was completel overhyped and so there were only four of us who'd bothered to enter an army list, and two of the four of us were fairly new players with lists that really showed. The worst I had in all of my games was losing one Vyper, and I ended up really feeling like "that ********** guy" for all of my games :(

GrandmasterWang
22-06-2015, 06:30

I was trying out scatterlaser bikes to make the final decision whether to take SL or SC on them - I had 15 bikes in 3x5 units. I also had a squad of doomweavers, 3 fliers and a lynx at 2,000 points.

His army was Dark angels - 40 marines and a land raider crusader with a banner of devastation in it. 4 telepathy librarians, and one ravening squad. He had 18 lascannons, and almost 200 bolter shots at 24", and was using shrouded to make all his men have a 2+ cover save behind the aegis line.

I just sat the bikes 26" away and opened fire with the bikes, artillery and lynx from outside of lascannon range. Even with the cover saves, they just died in droves.

I usually play maelstrom only, but he said 'my army can't move, so we have to play a normal game' - and then insisted on setting up objectives after deployment so 3 of 6 objectives were beind his aegis line. I got first blood, and so just sat on my 3 objectives and shelled him until he quit. I didn't even feel sorry for him, trying to rig the game to play ego-boosting castle like that. He refused to move forwards by even one inch the whole time - a completely inflexible army, with completely inflexible tactics. If he had walked the marines and the land raider forwards they would have had a 3+ not a 2+ save, but at least would have been able to shoot.

Well that is just crazy!!!

I know Space Marines are genetically modified to "hold the line" but that is taking it way too far

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Karhedron
24-06-2015, 09:57
I had a game where my Eldar completely wiped the floor with my opponent's tyranids last night. It was 1750 points and I brought a Wraithost and Aspect Warrior Detachment. He had a fairly generic list with a range of gribblies up to big MCs with a Flyrant and some Tyranocites.

Now I know Eldar are a tough match for Nids but the poor guy had some appalling luck. His Zoanthrope perilled on its first power, his Reserves scattered badly (his Toxicrene actually scattered right off the table and then rolled a 1 on the mishap table). By contrast everything just seemed to work for my army. My D-cannons deleted his Carnifex brood, scatter lasers and shuricannons hoovered up gaunts and gargoyles and my Spiritseer turned out to be surprisingly handy in assault with his witchstaff.

I tabled him by Turn 3 and ended up feeling really sorry for him. He had an OK army but between bad luck and a tough match-up, he didn't have much of a chance. In my defence, I didn't know I was facing Nids and just brought my standard 1750 all-comers list.

I lost my first game with the new Eldar so I promptly assumed that all the cries of cheese and OP were just usual new codex syndrome. However I haven't lost since and I am starting to think internets may have a point. I love playing my Eldar and I have fielded them since WD 127. I have also fielded Wraithguard since 2nd ed as I have always played Iyanden. Suddenly SD is the new black and I feel like a power gamer for running the army I have always played.

Maybe I should dust my Blood Angels off.

Spiney Norman
24-06-2015, 10:09

You realise that DA codex is probably one of the weakest army lists in the game right? Sounds like he was trying to make the best of a bad codex and you just flattened him with cheese. I personally don't think that was even the best way to run DA tbh, but you were using a scatterbikes list (pretty much the top tier netlist currently), he didn't really stand a chance if we're being completely honest.

Nightfall Shimmer
24-06-2015, 11:36
In before Spiney bashes Eld...

Darn. Too slow.

Ontopic:

I tested out the Eldar Corsair List from Imperial Armour 11 for fun. (I love Eldar Corsairs and recently found out there was a list for 5th ed. Took some time to jimmy it up to 6th ed standards by hunting down FAQs and such.)

Took on my friends Iron Warriors in a small 500pt game.

It was decided in the 'roll for Warlord Traits' phase, when he rolled up the Infiltrate one. And then got the first turn.

Game was basically over in his first shooting phase, when his Bolter fire removed half my army. Admittedly, being fast even by Eldar standards, he couldn't table me till turn 4, but that really was just me moving to extended the game past turn 2... I don't think I killed more than a combat squad of marines. (Not that Chaos have combat squads...)

Amusingly that was his first ever victory against Eldar ever.

Eldartank
25-06-2015, 00:49
My most awkward win was at a tournament at the Philadelphia Games Workshop Store that kicked off the official start of 4th Edition (several years ago). I had (and still have today) a Crimson Fists Space Marine army. At the tournament, my army had a Predator Annihilator, a Devastator Squad with 4 Lascannons, a couple Tactical Squads and a Captain with a Command Squad, and an allied squad of Grey Knights in power armor. My first opponent was a guy with a "Lost and Damned" army, basically traitor Imperial Guard, and a couple squads of Chaos Space Marines and a Land Raider (a really cool old original plastic Land Raider). It wasn't that much of a surprise that I beat him since he really had nothing really powerful except the Land Raider, and I basically wiped out almost his entire force. I made it a point to be pleasant and he was a really great sport. I think he was also rather pleased at my comments (and maybe some drooling) about his really cool old style Land Raider. In the second round, I played against a teenager with a nicely painted Black Templars army and got beaten after a hard fought battle. The really awkward part came in the third round of the tournament - we were all matched against the opponents we played in the first round, but we all switched armies. I ended up playing that guy's "Lost and Damned" army and he played my Crimson Fists Space Marines with the allied Grey Knights. I actually ended up beating him with his own underpowered army, and although I didn't totally wipe him out like in the first game, I still caused quite a bit of damage and beat him by a comfortable margin. The guy was still a really great sport about it, and I have nothing but the greatest respect for him. But I still felt really awkward about that victory, and I did my best to downplay it by claiming I just had lots of dumb luck with unusually high dice rolls and all that. Incidentally, I ended up winning the prize for the best painted army. The guy with the underpowered "Lost and Damned" army got the prize for best sportsman (very well deserved), and the teenager with the Black Templars army got the overall winner prize.

Greavous
03-07-2015, 12:57
so far ive yet to actually win a game BUt i have been beaten back twice both by guard (playing tau)

both games consisted of hiding my riptide only for them to move into position turn 1 and unload onto him, dead first turn along with some firewarriors thanks to the machine spirit gun and the spare guardsmen/heavy weapons.

one game ended turn 3 with me only having 2 hidden crisis suits and a 3 man fire warrior team left.

the other ended turn 4 (just because i rolled saves well) with my broadside on 1 wound and a squad of 3 drones cowering behind a dead tank and ruin.

as with many or most people winning and losing is fun but getting tabled or beaten to just 10% of your force while they have 90%+ jsut isnt fun.

this could easily become a 'worst player youve faced' thread.

Fithos
03-07-2015, 16:41
I'm playing imperial guard in a league and every game except one has been a ridiculous slaughter for me. First game my master of Ordnance would not miss. I mean, he scatters all the time but it always scattered in the perfect direction. Second game I took some Armored Sentinels just for fun. My opponent threw everything he could at them and didn't manage to kill a single one all game. Third game I added some bullgryns, my opponent charged them with two squads of blood crushers and only managed to kill one. In response they killed both units and his lord over 3 rounds of combat. Last game my opponent played a land speeder storm heavy army. Flew them up and parked them in front of my gunline, and then shot all his weapons at my bullgryns only managing to kill one and bringing a second down to one wound. That game was over before turn two.

I feel bad about all of these games. I don't think my army is op at all. I mean, I have bullgryns and sentinels. My only flyer is a valkyrie with the hellstrike missiles still on it. I have rough riders. It seems like people just get so preoccupied with the things they can't kill (bullgryns and sentinels) that they completely miss the fact they can just walk up and kill a guardsmen in the Platoon and half my army will run away.

I will admit my master of Ordnance has been insanely lucky this league.

WarsmithGarathor94
04-07-2015, 19:43
today my Khorne Daemonkin.vs unbound sm gk.and guard army. Starts.off kind of even at first.but from turn 3 to turn 5 i am.just hammering him all he had left was his storm talon.in hover mode at the end of turn 5

TheSkyfisher
06-03-2016, 07:07
I have a terrible one from both sides.

I was once playing against my roomates 'Nids with my Orks that do a very Artillery shooty style with Mek Gunz, Lootas, and a Big Mek. We decided to play one of the Tyranids special missions out of their new codex and picked the one with random deployment. Dice apparently really hated me because all of my shooty guys got place in the same area as the Hormagaunts and all my melee boyz and nobz were way to far away to get in anytime soon.

The other was in a 2v2 i was playing when i finally decided to run the Stompa i've had and never played cause i didn't want to feel like a dick :rolleyes: well you can probably guess how this ended up going. We were 'Nids and Orks up against IG and Stompa blew up basically all the squads on the same side of the field as it and some wounds on the tanks there. The other players were too occupied with the Genestealers and warriors coming up the other side to fire at my Stompa and it never got touched the entire game.

Draconis
09-03-2016, 19:23
You realise that DA codex is probably one of the weakest army lists in the game right? Sounds like he was trying to make the best of a bad codex and you just flattened him with cheese. I personally don't think that was even the best way to run DA tbh, but you were using a scatterbikes list (pretty much the top tier netlist currently), he didn't really stand a chance if we're being completely honest.

You realize that if he had walked his marines forward, 200 bolter shots would have smeared those bikes right? Worst case scenario, jink them.

Draconis
09-03-2016, 19:25
Got my eldar tabled via black templar in their first match. Two weeks in a row. Granted, I'm making a list out of what I have, which isn't much, but my opponent brought 3x Centurions to the table and in the first three rounds, they killed the avatar, wraithlord, and wraithseer without even using every shot. Was pretty one sided.

On the other side, my necrons with an Obyron leading a squad of Overlord, Anrakyr (I think? the one that turns into a c'tan), lord, and sword and board lych guards, and just general units, beat a nid army 17+ to 3. We stopped counting by the 5th turn, I dont think it was bad luck, just that my army was naturally a hard counter to his. He had 3 mawlocks and they never did a thing all game. They came up under the lychguard but thanks to saves plus WBB, they never killed a one.

WLBjork
12-03-2016, 18:43
Think this one's a good one:

My opponent was Iyanden themed Eldar.

Using the formations, there were 2 Guardian Squads, 2 Wraithguard Squads, 1 Wraithblades Squad, 1 Wraithlord, 1 Wraithknight and the IA10(v1) Wraithseer, 1 Fire Prism and 3 Wave Serpents, plus the necessary Warlocks and Spirit Seers for said formations.

I had a Codex:Spacewolves Great Company. Wolf Lord with Rune Armour and Fangsword, Battle Leader with Frost Blade, 5 Wolf Guard with 4 Power Axes and a Power Sword, 5 Wolf Scouts with a Melta Gun, 2*10 man Grey Hunter Packs with 1 Plasma Gun (1 also had the Standard), 3*5man packs with Chainswords and a Flamer. 3*5 man Skyclaw packs. 2*5man Long Fang packs, one with 2 Missile Launchers and 2 Plasma Cannon, the other with 2 Lascannon and 2 Heavy Bolters. 1 Stormwolf Transport and 3 Razorbacks, 2 with twin Lascannon.

Final score was something like 22-3 in my favour. Worse than that, I actually managed to wipe out his forces. Wave Serpents just fall apart when you slap them with S5 close combat attacks. Pretty sure I was the first player to take down the Wraithknight in our group as well.

Larzarus
13-03-2016, 23:27
First time playing a game with super heavies. I played chaos and had an Aquila Strongpoint, opponent took his new Knight and a Baneblade. We knew at the beginning whichever survived would likely carry the game. His Knight went down turn 2 to some well hidden melta havoks from my part and my Warpsmith's weapon curse made a huge difference. After that nothing in my army had anything to do but watch the Aquila's S D large blasts cut swathes through his gun line. Turn 2 he lost 2 Russes, turn 3 a Manticore, Vanquisher and Baneblade down to 1 hull point. He conceded turn 4 which a majority of my army still intact.

I felt really bad as he rarely wins and he had such hope with his new Knight.

The Fallen Angel
21-03-2016, 23:59
Back in 3rd edition my buddy and I would attend our local club for a regular pairs gaming night.

One of these gaming nights fell on the day the Necron codex was released. We decided to cause a bit of a scene at the club that we would buy a Necron army that morning, paint it up and field it that night.

So we bought 2k of Necrons each the minute the store opened, got back to his place and hurriedly assembled them. Black undercoat, boltgun metal drybrush, red dots for eyes, bases painted and flocked and gauss rods glued in.

We turn up at the club with our combined 4k of brand new Necrons and one of our two scheduled opponents starts crying, dude must have been 35 at least.

Once he'd sorted himself out we started the actual battle and it was all over in two turns; our opponents had not even read the Necron codex much less knew how to fight them.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

O.G-Palmer
22-03-2016, 17:08
Thet's be honest, classic case of waac'ism right there. :rolleyes:

Lord Damocles
22-03-2016, 20:36
With a selection of only half a dozen units, three and a half of which were basically the same as they had been under the previous Chapter Approved list(s), day one Necrons couldn't have been all that abominable.

lachlin
22-03-2016, 21:41
Just a couple weeks ago during a tournament at the LGS. My White Scars vs TAU. I scouted my army, went first. Killed a Riptide and a unit of crisis suits with grav gun fire. Lost two bikes on his turn. Turn 2 killed a devilfish with shooting and wiped out the breacher team and another crisis suit in HTH. At that point my opponent called game. First time I ever didn't go to turn 3.

CrownAxe
23-03-2016, 08:47
I had one a month ago. I decided I wanted to take the Armoured Company formation a spin (I love tanks i have a ton of them) so I wrote a list that was pretty much only Leman Russes and an Imperial Knight and took it to vassal to find someone to play. The person I played against was using the new Corsair rules. However his list was only a bunch of jet bikes with a few dark lances. I ended up getting the first turn and as a result i shot a few bikes down but they were the ones with lances since they were all in a single unit. He called the game on turn 2.

I felt bad, until I found out a week later he was telling everyone I was a a jerk and had list tailored against him

Sureshot05
23-03-2016, 13:56
I've had it both ways on many an occasion. Two standouts are:

Playing guard against a new marine player (his 2nd game at club) and he bunched up his marines (against advice) and my basilisk, russ and demolisher all hit dead on. Rest of my las guns cleaned up. His list was wiped from the table at the end of turn 1. Never felt so bad. We had a rematch which was a lot more fun, but that will forever hang as the most pointless game played.

On the recieving end, I've had it really bad with my nids. Each turn i would advance into my Eldar opponent and between his movement and firepower, I would remain constantly at 12" and fail to charge. It was like a nid exclusion zone. Absolutely slaughtered and didn't scratch his army.

H3L!X
23-03-2016, 14:49
I feel bad about all of these games. I don't think my army is op at all. I mean, I have bullgryns and sentinels. My only flyer is a valkyrie with the hellstrike missiles still on it. I have rough riders. It seems like people just get so preoccupied with the things they can't kill (bullgryns and sentinels) that they completely miss the fact they can just walk up and kill a guardsmen in the Platoon and half my army will run away.

I can agree here.
I myself play Eldar, no formations, no wraithknights. Mostly Guardians, Avengers and Walkers. I only have one Wave Serpent, that means its a footslogging army.

The fact that my Walkers buffed by my Farseer are strong makes them forget that more than half of my army has poor range and defense.
Well...they start seeing it though :)

mostlyharmless
23-03-2016, 19:19
It happened just this past weekend. I was playing with my Tau for the first time in more than a year, so it was the first time I had ever used the "Decurion" style Hunter Contingent. I put together what I perceived to be a balanced list:

Hunter Cadre
Commander in a Coldstar suit with Shield Generator and EWO
Riptide with Stim Injectors and VT
3 units of 10 fire warriors
2 units of 6 pathfinders
3 missilesides with drones and EWO

2 optimized stealth cadres
single ghostkeel with Ion Raker, twin-linked fusion, VT and EWO
2 3-man stealth teams with a single fusion blaster

My opponent shows up with a min-maxed Space marine CAD allied with a Guard Tank formation
Librarian, SS+TH terminators riding in a Stormraven, a squad of Bikers, two 5-man squads of scouts, Ironclad dreadnought in a drop-pod
The tank formation for four Leman Russ tanks and the techpriests that go with it

I annihilated the poor guy. I didn't lose a single unit. I took casualties, no doubt, but I didn't lose a single unit. I was in shock. As I said, I thought I had put together a balanced list. I wasn't bringing any super-heavies to the table, just a mix of units to cover my bases. I knew the formations were good, which is why I took them, but I didn't realize they were that good. The poor guy had never played against Tau either, which made it even worse.

insectum7
24-03-2016, 20:17

For some reason that story is extra funny to me. Maybe because I used to be a hard castle player (like back in 2nd-early 3rd) and finally shook myself out of it. "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man." - Patton

With a selection of only half a dozen units, three and a half of which were basically the same as they had been under the previous Chapter Approved list(s), day one Necrons couldn't have been all that abominable.

I remember horror stories about armies with just a single Lord with Res. Orb and a giant cloud of Warriors just marching around with relative impunity on a lot of tables. To say nothing of Immortals, which were amazing! Their rules may not have changed much from Chapter Approved (maybe the Res-Orb was new?), but army-use and therefore public awareness certainly jumped with the codex. Wasn't the Monolith a Codex release?

. . .

For some reason one of the victories that has really stuck with me was from a tournament in 2nd Edition. I don't remember my first game at all, but I think it had been pretty harsh (though I had won), and I was amped up for my second battle. This second battle was against a really beautifully painted Slaneesh Noise Marine army, with a lot of the original Noise Marines with guitar-Sonic Blasters and mow-hawks. There were conversions in his army, everything was in bright colors and each squad had different motifs and everything. He was a great guy, but somehow his tactics or setup or rolls weren't working out and I just butchered him with my Ultramarines. Everything went my way and I came away with a crazy victory point lead after that. He was a good sport about it, I think (hope) that I was the same. I can't remember fully, that was almost 20 years ago and the echo of guilt for mercilessly killing all those beautiful models is still with me.

jedideinos
26-03-2016, 22:41
Been on the receiving end more than the dishing it out. But the one that sticks in my memory was against Chaos years ago. I just had what I thought was a balanced marine force - you know, 3 tac squads, 1 assault and 1 devastator squad - something like that. I can't remember exactly what as it was so long ago. My opponent just made one bad choice after another. Teleport Abbadon in front of the dev squad, out of charge range, but within shooting range. Run chaos marines on foot out into the open, instead of using cover - see them get killed, then repeat with the next squad. I did suggest using cover, but was ignored. By the end of the game, his force was totally wiped out. My only casualty was an overheating plasma gun.
I felt bad, then worse when he told everyone else that he lost because I was a WAAC player, not that he made mistake after mistake.

Still Standing
31-03-2016, 11:19
At a tournament a few years ago. I was playing my Sisters of Battle. He was playing a mixed Dark Angels army. At the start of the game he laughed to get such an easy opponent, gloating that he would table me in short order. He was rather less happy when I tabled him on turn 3. As I remember I tabled all my opponents that day. :)

superdupermatt
01-04-2016, 09:36
If you stomp someone that hard you should give him an onion to make them cry also. Only then is your victory complete.

MDSW
01-04-2016, 23:18
Although not beating the player in the tournament (and also being WHFB, not 40k - sorry!!), my lowly Bretonnian M@A's ran into his Lizardmen Stegadon. I rather think he was pretty sure of himself and proud of his great beast. However, after some pretty lucky rolls on my part, they beat him AND ran him down to knock him off the table. I could swear this grown man was going to cry as he slowly took his Stegadon off the table.