PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously armed HQ models.

Kelpi
04-07-2006, 03:02
This is a pet hate of mine. GW seems to put absolutely no thought into what some HQ models are armed with. Orks seem to get it worst, you have a warboss armed with a Combi Shoota/Scorcha and erm... Squig on a leash :wtf: . It makes absolutely no sense. The new big mek isnt much better, you have a choppa wrench and some random tool (what is that anyway? blow torch?). Im just glad that my Warbosses rare-earthed right-hander power claw fits on well.

Im not too familiar with the HQs of other armies, can anyone else name something armed with things equally silly.

x-esiv-4c
04-07-2006, 03:08
Bolter-melta combis are pretty sucky on a Chaos lord.

robertsjf
04-07-2006, 03:08
Well Kelpi, you'll be pleased to know that other than the recent Big Mek, GW has been trying to produce customisable HQ types (Space Marine Commander) or a large variety of metal minis (Space Marine Chaplains). Now granted, we play Orks which means that when our Codex comes out GW will only produce about 2/3rds of the choices and let us convert the rest. Yea Orks!

salty
04-07-2006, 03:14
Just make a normal Mek boy into a Big Mek by converting like I did. Lop off the arm, use a Tau Plasma gun thingy (not a clue what it is!) with a hammerhead stuck on the end as a bionic arm and a bit of greenstuffed bionics... voila! I'll post pics if you like.

But anyway... yeah, technically the Squig on a leash isnt even legal... attack squigs have to be represented by a separate model as they are separately targettable etc. Major balls up there on GWs part.

Salty :)

Kelpi
04-07-2006, 03:18
Yeah conversions all the way!

Overall Im impressed at the quality of the new Ork metals. IMO the new Big Mek is a quality piece of work. The only part I didnt like was the head so I used Grimgor Ironhide's head instead ( http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947020912103&orignav=9 ). The standard head looks too 'oldmanish' for my liking on a big mek so its gone on to my mad dok.

Give the right shoulder socket a rare earth magnet socket to switch between power claw and that tool arm as suits.

As for the "Squig on a leash arm" for my warboss, I have added a chainsaw type choppa on to that hand so it looks like hes holding a choppa and a squig leash at the same time. Depending on my configuration the squig counts as a 'bionik arm' or nothing.

salty
04-07-2006, 03:23
Good save with the Warboss. I'll be honest, I dont like that particular model at all. Then again, I can talk, I use a Ghazgkhull model...

I really hope we get a plastic or at least part plastic command squad with the new codex. If you're listening out there GW, PLEASE! Plastic Ork Command Squads! Oh, and Nobs IN THE BOXED SETS! Like Sergeants!

Salty :)

Sir_Lunchalot
04-07-2006, 03:50
Let's see, inquisitor with plasma pistol... no close combat weapon, just the pistol. Granted that was a special edition model, and all the other =][= models are sensible. other than that everything else seems to be pretty good.

n00bLord
04-07-2006, 05:51
Maybe the pistol was his close combat weapon 0.o Seems like the multi weapons option seems useless because they only allow one shot off per battle, thats about as stupid as attacking ten men with a pistol that has one bullet.

Sir_Turalyon
04-07-2006, 09:20
Cadian officers - there are six models, and only three weapon combos. Powerfist/laspistol is reasonable (althrough powerfist / bolt pistol would be better), but power sword comes only with overprived plasma pistol... wtf?

Latro_
04-07-2006, 10:00
GW does seem to like giving IC's power fists and plasma pistols...

its almost like they want them to die.

lord_blackfang
04-07-2006, 10:22
The Big Mek has a Choppa and a Kustom Force Field. Seems perfectly sensible to me (better than all the combi-meltas they seem to be sticking on all the SM/CSM characters)

scavenseer
04-07-2006, 10:35
The Guard commisars models suck hard. I had to make my own arms for Hark because GW does not realise that most of its commisars use plasma pistols and power swords.:mad:

Gen.Steiner
04-07-2006, 11:36
One of the Commissars has a pistol holster (could be anything) and then a power sword and power fist. Another, also from 2nd Edition, has a hand flamer and a close combat weapon (or power axe). The rest are fine though, and with some creativity even those two Commissars are perfectly happy.

scavenseer
04-07-2006, 11:43
One of the Commissars has a pistol holster (could be anything) and then a power sword and power fist. Another, also from 2nd Edition, has a hand flamer and a close combat weapon (or power axe). The rest are fine though, and with some creativity even those two Commissars are perfectly happy.

fine? you have eyes right?

The commissar models look rushed, unfinished and very sloppy, i could build (and have) a better commisar oout of green stuff and a craft blade.:mad:

sigur
04-07-2006, 12:06
Calm down, scavenseer. You might want to quell your enthusiasm about certain things.

The Commissars are very nice miniatures and definitly do not look rushed to me. Remember, they are more than 10 years old. But I would really like to see this Commissar of yours, sounds interesting.:)

Shipmonkey
04-07-2006, 12:10
Let's see, inquisitor with plasma pistol... no close combat weapon, just the pistol. Granted that was a special edition model, and all the other =][= models are sensible. other than that everything else seems to be pretty good.

You didn't look to closely at the model did you? You seem to have missed the fact that the other hand is a powerfist.

Gen.Steiner
04-07-2006, 12:16
Dunno about ridiculously armed, but Lord Solar Macharius carries a bolt pistol and a swagger stick, which is the funniest CCW ever really.

@ Scavenseer: Dissing the Commissariat is asking for a one-way-ticket to "unmarked grave" via "bolt to the skull"... :p

scavenseer
04-07-2006, 12:24
Dunno about ridiculously armed, but Lord Solar Macharius carries a bolt pistol and a swagger stick, which is the funniest CCW ever really.

@ Scavenseer: Dissing the Commissariat is asking for a one-way-ticket to "unmarked grave" via "bolt to the skull"... :p

:p :p , I take it it could be:D 'Summed' up that way yes!!

swagger stick pales to what the main duse has.....A Damm CIGAR!!!!

Sir_Turalyon
04-07-2006, 12:43
Actualy, the power sword / power fist comissar isn't that bad ... if expansive. Much like choppa / powerclaw ork warlord, he can use eighter as extra ccw. It costs 4 points more then bolt pistol / power fist, can be used as power sword / CCW instead and loses only bolt pistol shot. Bargain, if you like power fists in Guard.

buzzin_yoof
04-07-2006, 12:48

The special edition Inq. had rules in WD300 - as well as the MC Plasma pistol he has a power weapon - must be that glove or something!

Lyinar
04-07-2006, 13:14
I gave him a Power Stake thanks to that tubular sheath on his left thigh, and the nifty extensible stakes in the nigh-unwatchable movie Van Helsing.

*ka-CHINK...STABBITY!* "AAAAAARRRRRRRGH! IT BURNS, IT BURNS!!!"

Quin 242
04-07-2006, 18:25
Kustom Force Field and Choppa is pretty much what I give my Meks so.. whats the problem again?

Kriegsherr
04-07-2006, 18:29
Sorry, is it that hard to make a weapon swap? I never understood why on earth the squig had to be his CC weapon (I rather prefered an empty arm with pointing at the enemy as I wanted to do a shooty warboss).
But its not like you have to convert more than 2 HQs normally.

Brother_Falco
04-07-2006, 19:10
*eyes the 11 converted Marine HQs behind him.*
2 you say? Um.
Also, yes, the commissars are awful, matched only by that horrid BT castellan with the bolter. Hideous model, dumb weapon choices.
Similar, but not as bad, Cassius carrying a combi-flamer when his rules give him a bolt pistol O-o.
Hate combi-weapons anyway because they don't work with true grit, thus making them pointlessly expensive and attack-denying.

The_Dragon_Rising
04-07-2006, 19:32
I would have to say Chaos HQ choices simply because of the sheer number of upgrades they can have

n00bLord
04-07-2006, 21:04
Heck yes! Daemon Talons all the way!

Chem-Dog
04-07-2006, 21:28
I know it's not an armament issue as such, but the Steel Legion Commissar (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=COMP0105158&orignav=10)bugs me, He's shown as having a Steel Legion style Gas mask, Cool for Cats right? NO, I get two stupid Skull faced guys :(

The Chainsword holding Bionic Arm on the Space Marine Commander sprue is a little bit pointless as if you've got access to the wargear list to get the bionics, you might as well have the Powersword.

noneedforaname
04-07-2006, 21:50
remember a ;ot of the components in the space marine commander box aren't meant for commanders. spread the upgrade part love.

Lyinar
04-07-2006, 21:55
You mean you're actually supposed to use some of those bitz on your commander? I just scattered them all around my Command squads...

BloodiedSword
04-07-2006, 22:15
I never understood why they pulled the perfectly good Chaos Lord with Power axe and Plasma pistol, for the new one which is based on the same model but has, bizarrely, a Power fist and combi melta instead. Truly weird.

Chem-Dog
04-07-2006, 22:38
remember a ;ot of the components in the space marine commander box aren't meant for commanders. spread the upgrade part love.

My point was why would anybody able to buy Bionics bother with a Chainsword? Perhaps back in edition 2 when a bionic arm meant +1S in H-t-H but not these days.

Kymar
04-07-2006, 22:52
This thread seems to devolved into a HQ pissing contest, but I have a counter view to the original post about GW models having too much gubbin's on the models.

I like to have exaggerent models for HQ and squad leaders, the bigger the better! Unless they are monsterous, characters can get lost in a army if they don't have extra bits; like the ever popular banner poles. the banner poles are common to most models and are usually equal to the models original height. They would be annoying as heck to wear and really need to be on a separate standard bear of some kind.

But I say HECK NO! 40k is about larger then life characters who stand out on their own an make a statement. I always think of it as anime style, heroic oversize weapons being swung as if they were just daggers. Personally, I am converting most of my Exarchs to having oversize weapons, my favorite being a Warp Spider Exarch holding a Shadow Spinner; the barrel is as thick as he is wide! (I'll get some pics up when I finally glue him back together).

Sekhmet
05-07-2006, 00:36
The walking Necron Lord, armed with a Warscythe. Wargear has to be wysiwyg, right? So where's the rez orb that EVERYONE equips the walking lord with? Or the Veil of Darkness? Or the Staff of Light?

I know there's a special edition Necron Lord, but that doesn't have a rez orb or veil either...

n00bLord
05-07-2006, 01:45
Maybe, the viel of darkness is invisable? WYSIWYG can be a little absurd by the way they release HQ models.

Adept
05-07-2006, 01:52
I gave him a Power Stake thanks to that tubular sheath on his left thigh, and the nifty extensible stakes in the nigh-unwatchable movie Van Helsing.

:eyebrows:

Van Helsing was awesome.

scarvet
05-07-2006, 02:07
O, I thought this is "What super special count as weapon..." Nevermind.......
The Necorn Lord Destoyer model does have Res.Orb and Phyate(What ever it is); The model on fool should be good enough for most of the wargear, and the borken cape as Veil ;)

MKachenTzeench
05-07-2006, 02:17
I'm in tentative agreement with the original poster, that is to say, I'm not so much angered by what GW puts on their models (we're big boys, we can convert and put some extra work into modelling to make the mini that we want), but I'm angered by the trend that HQ choices have taken in terms of rules. Most of the time, an army's HQ choice translates into 'the guy that leads my nastiest CC squad and that I've given a crapload of equipment to so that he'll own in CC'. Personally, I don't like that as I believe that there's a lot more to a commander than his lightning claws. When I choose a commander, I make sure to pick the army first, rather than building it around him --- I like my HQ to complement my force rather than to be its focus, and I just wish that GW gave me the option of doing this.

This, I suppose, is one of the reasons why I love the Necrons so much (yes, I know that most people hate these guys). The Necron Lord is not an Uber-CC unit (though in the middle of a Pariah, or *mindjob* Flayed One unit, he can be), but a support unit. Nearly all of his equipment allows him to support other units and the army as a whole, making him, in my opinion, the ideal HQ in the entire WH40k universe. I'm not criticizing the existance of HQ, I'm just saying that we should have the option of using something more supportive and (at times) interesting, rather than defaulting to the CC monsters that come out of most lists.

Sir_Lunchalot
05-07-2006, 02:30
MKachenTzeench, I agree. Another army that really gets the support and leadership aspect of HQ right is the Imperial Guard. I knwo I'm promoting my own army, btu that's one of the things I like about the Guard. The HQ of a Guard army, while admittedly being more capable in melee than most of the army, primarily is a support unit and a leadership backbone. That said a HSO with advisors and proper doctrines can be capable of doing some damage. Mind you that unit is still far behind other armies units of similar points costs in terms of combat capabilities.

Chimerologist
05-07-2006, 02:47
Not an HQ, but I'm still annoyed at the Dark Reaper Exarch. He can have a Reaper Launcher, an Eldar Missile Launcher, or a Shuriken Cannon. The first two are both useful, and are very similar in appearance (so if they'd made the model with either one, it'd be easy to count it as the other), while the third fits very poorly with the rest of the squad (and he's a "Vet Sarge" style upgrade - he can't leave the unit). Naturally, the model comes armed with a Shuriken Cannon.

As far as 'support' HQs go, I think the Eldar deserve a mention. The Farseer's supportive abilites are obvious, but the Avatar's 'Inspiring' rule is very helpful too. But I may be biased.

Codsticker
05-07-2006, 03:36
Although not an HQ model, the 3rd. Edition Stormtrooper Sergeant with a Plasma Pistol and Bolter (:eyebrows: ) seems strange. When I first saw the model I had to give my head a shake. The funny thing is, I've always used him as he's equiped and the bolter often comes in handy.

cailus
05-07-2006, 04:08
I never understood why they pulled the perfectly good Chaos Lord with Power axe and Plasma pistol, for the new one which is based on the same model but has, bizarrely, a Power fist and combi melta instead. Truly weird.

Especially when the old model is a lot better than the new one. New one looks too much like an ordinary Imperial marine....

cailus
05-07-2006, 04:15
My point was why would anybody able to buy Bionics bother with a Chainsword? Perhaps back in edition 2 when a bionic arm meant +1S in H-t-H but not these days.

I actually think this is really cool (I've only just found out about it). But you can chuck it on a standard Sergeant to make him look different.

Melchiah
05-07-2006, 07:52
Dont think this has been brought up yet but what about Chaplin Cassius', of the Ultramarines. His "bolt pistol" looks like its a combi bolt/melta pistol. In fact i could over look it if he had a master crafted bolt pistol but he doesnt its run of the mill bolt pistol. Am i the only one who thinks this/finds this wired?

The Purple Ninja
05-07-2006, 08:04
Originally, Cassius did have a Bolter combi-Melta, but for some drastically retarded reason not a one of us will ever understand, GW changed their mind at the last second and gave him a bolt pistol instead.

There's even a familar holding a combi-Bolter behind him in his artwork.

No one uses bolter flamers hardly, and a special charecter with one would have been about the only way to ever see it and would have been, well, charecterful.

Another not-an-HQ unit, I was always peeved by the Space Marien devastators box. One of each is good for spreading around your armor, but lord have mercy on anyone who ever tried to use the unit as is. Also, missile lancher instead of Multi-melta? :wtf:

Reaper exarch gets a 2nd from me. I've never bought one because of that.

Melchiah
06-07-2006, 18:15
not that its "HQ" but did anyone else wonder as to why the old dark elf lord had 2 spear/lances? I know its unwriten as a standard/banner pole but on mail order it says spear.