PDA

View Full Version : Buying Warhammer books

littleRaven
23-06-2015, 23:29
So now alls dust & new era is starting i want to try get some good Warhammer fiction, having not managed to read many apart from G&F, swrds of vengeance, dwarfs omnibus & war the beards series i want try collect some b4 they vanish altogether. Any must reads or essentials to this wonderful world that was?

Thanks in advance for any advice u throw my way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodster17
23-06-2015, 23:38
I have them all. Every single one. It took me about 10 years to collect every WFB novel ever released so I'm glad I have the whole repository now no more info on the Old World will be printed.

Some of the better omnibuses to try and pick up if you can are:
Malus Darkblade (most people's recommendation)
Florin and Lorenzo
Brunner the Bounty Hunter
Blackhearts
Mathias Thulmann
Genevieve is quite old but still fun

Novel wise:
Ambassador Chronicles are probably Graham McNeill's best fantasy work
The Thanquol trilogy- Grey Seer, Temple of the Serpent and Thanquol's Doom were enjoyable if you a. like Skaven b. enjoyed Thanquol in G+F and ET novels
ToL is quite hit and miss but maybe pick up the Sigmar/Malekith/Nagash original trio of series for some background on the Old World
Individual character novels like The Red Duke, Headtaker (excellent), Skarsnik (my favourite) and Van Horstmann are all interesting

I used this list to tick the novels off (it doesn't have every single one but a good start)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warhammer_Fantasy_novels

There is also (now pricey) background material like Loathsome Ratmen, Liber Necris, Liber Chaotica etc... if you fancy splashing out. Have fun!

Sothron
23-06-2015, 23:56
I have them all. Every single one. It took me about 10 years to collect every WFB novel ever released so I'm glad I have the whole repository now no more info on the Old World will be printed.

Some of the better omnibuses to try and pick up if you can are:
Malus Darkblade (most people's recommendation)
Florin and Lorenzo
Brunner the Bounty Hunter
Blackhearts
Mathias Thulmann
Genevieve is quite old but still fun

Novel wise:
Ambassador Chronicles are probably Graham McNeill's best fantasy work
The Thanquol trilogy- Grey Seer, Temple of the Serpent and Thanquol's Doom were enjoyable if you a. like Skaven b. enjoyed Thanquol in G+F and ET novels
ToL is quite hit and miss but maybe pick up the Sigmar/Malekith/Nagash original trio of series for some background on the Old World
Individual character novels like The Red Duke, Headtaker (excellent), Skarsnik (my favourite) and Van Horstmann are all interesting

I used this list to tick the novels off (it doesn't have every single one but a good start)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warhammer_Fantasy_novels

There is also (now pricey) background material like Loathsome Ratmen, Liber Necris, Liber Chaotica etc... if you fancy splashing out. Have fun!

This is an excellent list. I also have practically all BL and GW books or printed materials.

My personal choices since the OP already listed some of what he's read would be:

Malus Darkblade (if you like Dark Elves)
Brunner the bounty hunter (if you like a human bounty hunter)
Thanquol trilogy (if you like Skaven)
Grudgebearer/Oathbraker/Honourkeeper (if you like Dwarfs)

woodster17
24-06-2015, 00:11
This is an excellent list. I also have practically all BL and GW books or printed materials.

My personal choices since the OP already listed some of what he's read would be:

Malus Darkblade (if you like Dark Elves)
Brunner the bounty hunter (if you like a human bounty hunter)
Thanquol trilogy (if you like Skaven)
Grudgebearer/Oathbraker/Honourkeeper (if you like Dwarfs)

Nice one! It's a tragedy that it's now ended. The depth of the lore was (is) amazing. We can only hope that the new AoS fluff is fleshed out and given proper thought and consideration. My worry is watered-down nonsense aimed at pre-teens, which would be an insult to 30 years of work from some outstanding authors.

Sothron
24-06-2015, 00:48
Nice one! It's a tragedy that it's now ended. The depth of the lore was (is) amazing. We can only hope that the new AoS fluff is fleshed out and given proper thought and consideration. My worry is watered-down nonsense aimed at pre-teens, which would be an insult to 30 years of work from some outstanding authors.

That is exactly my fear. I honestly will never forgive GW for tossing away 30 plus years of lore out the door. I just hope we get in AoS is at least decent.

Konrad von Carstein
24-06-2015, 00:53
The Vampire Wars trilogy by Steven Savile.

infamousme
24-06-2015, 04:04
I will 2nd the ambassador chronicles. Also, I would add riders of the dead to that list.

Crixus
24-06-2015, 08:28
I really enjoyed Gav Thorpe's Time of Legends trilogy - Malekith, Shadow King and Caledor. Excellent if you like Elves.
I also thought Valkia was really cool too.

littleRaven
24-06-2015, 17:48
Thanks guys [emoji106]🏻 thats a good few lists to get on with;) just hope i can grab em b4 they're gone. I wish i only had read more them while the world was still alive, now no more new adventures to come. & when i started readin em i thought i had 4ever to enjoy this world & more[emoji29]

My_Geeky_Persona
24-06-2015, 19:42
Have BL announced that their back catalogue will become unavailable? I imagine books will rules e.g. The end times books will disappear, but I don't see why the others should go. Especially, in ebook form.
Don't they already advertise some older books as not fitting the current canon?

MGP

littleRaven
24-06-2015, 20:41
Every time i look for warhammer books like time legend series they always have last one only & rest in ebook which i fine but i collect paper books. It does seem BL dnt keep stocks in print for long & maybe later reprint some but always with different artwrk or size & it never matches lol. & with the old world gone i suspect the classic books be in demand so more scarce/ harder to get.

Powerposey
24-06-2015, 22:04
My favorite has been Riders of the Dead, old and hard to find but is a great read especially if you like Kislev.

littleRaven
24-06-2015, 22:34
Have ordered some classics to start me off Florin &co, Von Carstein omnibus, & Ambassador chronicles. Thanks chaps[emoji1] i shall start cataloguing these suggestions 4 future purchase too.

Antigone1977
24-06-2015, 22:35
I really enjoyed the Orion trilogy released (relatively) recently. I'm a beastmen player so was really hooked by the first one but the whole trilogy was really compelling.

littleRaven
24-06-2015, 22:41
I have notice the Orion series but having lil knowledge of the characters wondered if id pick up the lore n story ok, does look epic tho.

littleRaven
26-07-2015, 20:03
Any chance u guys might know somewhere in london say charity shop ect that might have some old hammer books?