PDA

View Full Version : Assymetric scenarios

Botjer
24-06-2015, 15:22
Hey everyone, I'm looking for assymetric scenarios, for example where one side has more forces than the other but its mission goal is harder to achieve.
Anyone know where I can find such scenarios?

Konovalev
24-06-2015, 22:48
Have you looked into the Planetstrike book? That's what immediately came to mind for me.

As far as the list building phase goes, the Attackers have a significant advantage going into the game. Which is balanced by the Defenders placement of defenses.

NoobLord
24-06-2015, 23:04
Think there were some asymmetric scenarios in the old Cities of Death book (but not in the Shield of Baal cities of death section).

And the Battle Missions book which is jam packed with good scenario ideas.

Greyhound
24-06-2015, 23:12
You can try playing Sisters of battle vs new Eldars, I hear it is pretty asymmetric.

Jokes aside, the point of asymmetric games is that IF they were symmetric there would be balance, and by shifting the balance (for instance deployment zones, points, army selection criterion) you can create a new dynamic which you typically offset by a harder/easier Win condition.
I am not convinced that symmetric games ARE balanced and start with equal chances, therefore offsetting the balance more would require a reference point to balance it back.

I play Orks and I always wanted to see a scenario where my objectives are not the same as my opponent (which is why I like the new 6 missions). I also would love to somehow play twice the points to get this overwhelming "green tide" the fluff often talks about, but would expect to have much much harder objectives to achieve.

if someone managed to crack that chestnut I'm keen to hear how.

Rolsheen
24-06-2015, 23:57
I think there was one in the Tau Farsight supplement where you used the Eight against a larger force of Nids.

Botjer
25-06-2015, 10:02
The reason being that we are planning a campaign and well if spacemarines only send, say... 200 guys. Then they wont be leading any charges across nomans land, so we want alot of small raiding and sabotage missions with assymetric setup and goals.

Botjer
25-06-2015, 10:49
Let's setup some examples.

Sabotage, a smaller force is trying to sabotage one or more objectives.
Attacker has less forces than defender. How much smaller?
Attacker only has to destroy one and/or several of the objectives. How many objectives? Placement? Should there be several objectives, but only the attacker knows which one is the real target?
Rules for sentries?
Objectives can only be destroyed in hand to hand?

Strike, a larger force is trying to sieze an objective, the defenders only have to defend it.
Attacking force is larger, how much?
Do the defenders get emplacements or other beneficial terrain?

Ambush, smaller force is ambushing a larger force, like sabotage but with mobile objectives and defender deployment in the centre, also, these objectives can get destroyed by shooting.

A way to put a points price on each sides goals.

Objective difficulty. And corresponding point adjustment for the attacker.
Very Easy. 50%.
Easy. 75%.
Balanced. 100%
Hard. 150%
Very Hard. 200%

Konovalev
25-06-2015, 20:16
The reason being that we are planning a campaign and well if spacemarines only send, say... 200 guys. Then they wont be leading any charges across nomans land, so we want alot of small raiding and sabotage missions with assymetric setup and goals.

Have you read any of the books? 10 Grey Knight terminators and 10 GK power armor guys charge across (smokey) no man's land against a combined battalion of entrenched Guard and Sisters in Counter's Grey Knights. A squad of Ultramarines do the same thing in one of the Ultramarines Omnibus books. Uphill into an entrenched armoured company.

Space marines are all about sending a few marines into the midst of a much larger enemy force. Maybe not so much on the tabletop, but even there 200 marines is a crap ton of marines to play with.

agurus1
26-06-2015, 02:10
I always thought that the "Rearguard" scenario was the perfect vision of asymetric battles in history. Defender gets half the points of the Attacker. The attackers goal is to get as many units off the defenders board edge as possible, the defender must stop this from happening at all costs. Maybe a VP for every enemy unit the defender kills or the attacker has left on the table at the end of the game, whereas the attacker gets a VP for every unit that makes it off the defenders table edge.

Botjer
26-06-2015, 08:01
I prefer to see the table top events as actual events and the books as the 1 in a million events (or do grey knights often fight guard and sisters?), and or propaganda.