PDA

View Full Version : GW Opry Mills(Nashville) Out of Business!!!

Witch Hunter
04-07-2006, 05:07
<RANT ON>

I live nearly 2 hours from the nearest GW stockist, in my case, GW Opry Mills. Generally, I plan my purchases and make a bulk order from the Online Store, or wait to travel to the Nashville store. If I needed something specific, say a blister of Inquisitorial henchman, I'd always make a special trip to the GW store to pick it up, because they (nearly) always had whatever I was after in stock, whether it was figs or paint or codex. I was a fairly regular visitor(not daily, but @ least twice a month, usually more).

My last trip about a week or so ago, they were having a tournament(which I had participated) final and a few of the regular employees I know were there. I chatted a bit, picked up my WD, a Seraphim blister and left without a word being said about a potential shutdown. I made that same 2 hour trip today, to pick up some supplies for the Medusa V campaign, and was shocked to find an empty storefront. After asking several retailers around the store I found out that a few days ago(end of the month?) they came in, boxed everything up and were gone by the next day. They hadn't any idea if they had moved or what. I finally ran into a chap who knew a bit about the closing, and said he was told ALL the eastern USA GW stores were shutting down.

I made a long trip, spent a good part of my day(plus a substantial amount of petrol) for nothing.I'm a wee bit ticked off.

A simple announcement could have prevented this. GW, drop the shroud of secrecy over ALL you do. This isn't military secrets. National defense isn't at stake. You aren't the damn Dark Angels. It is a game and a business pure and simple. Simple ethics and manners go a long way. If you can learn to treat customers with respect, your bottom line would probably improve.

<RANT OFF>

snurl
04-07-2006, 05:51
Does anyone know if it is true that more eastern stores are closing?

Unseeing Eye
04-07-2006, 05:56
To anyone from GW corporate reading, if you were trying to alienate your older, regular customers, consider mission accomplished.

So um...the store going out of business only affects veterans? Right...

Seriously, you're acting like they went out of their way to get YOU. Looks more like they weren't getting enough sales and HQ closed them down. They may not have known they were going OOB at that event.

And in any case, independent retailers still buy their stuff from GW. All it means is GW gets lower revenue in addition to lower costs (e.g. they don't have to run a store). So it doesn't really make a difference.

Witch Hunter
04-07-2006, 06:11
So um...the store going out of business only affects veterans? Right...

Seriously, you're acting like they went out of their way to get YOU.

No, I'm ranting for all the players from anywhere in the east that may have had their store shut down, made a LONG trip to go, only to find it...empty. And I didn't mean to imply that it only affected vets, it affects the noobs more than us. They may not know where else to go to get product.

Finally, I seriously don't believe they were out to get me, but my comment about them alienating older established customers is much farther ranging than they closed a local GW store. I just didn't go into ALL my personally percieved slights. I am a bit teed off, so I probably rambled and didn't make a helluva lotta sense. My apologies.

Lord of ???
04-07-2006, 07:55
I can tell you now that the employees on may not have been feeling chatty about their imminent sacking.

dancingmonkey
04-07-2006, 09:14
This may be a more regularly occouring instance. Trade is down across the board in the sunny world of retail, and its hitting niche markets hard. There is rumour of more stores closing if they continue to prove ineffective at drumming up trade. I hear of stores making 2-300 a day which doesn't cover anything in terms of overheads. Plus the weekends are down a lot.

The age of expansion seems to be over as LOTR slowly drops away. Expect to see a continuation of this entreanchment that company is carrying out ATM. If they can last the dry spell we will hopefully see a boost again in a few years.

The Winslow
04-07-2006, 15:18
Business is difficult all over for the hobby market, whether it be comics, trains, games, coins, cards, etc. There are a lot less of each of those types now, than 5 years ago. GW has to deal with a lot of the same factors in running it's stores that any other business has. As a chain, they can accept a store losing a bit of money, if it's made up for elsewhere, but eventually it comes time to sign a new 10 year lease and that's when a decision is made to close up or move a shop.

GW is not closing all of it's East Coast stores. That's absolutely a rumor that not only isn't confirmed, but is outright wrong. They have plans to open several more stores, one of which they have discussed with me as it's in my area. (Far from my shops, technically in my area. They are being very polite and making sure we don't knock heads with each other.)

There is going to be a trend however, that stores will be evaluated for their profit, and like any other business, unprofitable ones may be shut down. Sorry to see that your shop got closed. And I agree that not putting up a notice about it was a tad rude. What I would suggest is to call GW Mail order, and ask about the store, and see if maybe it moved rather than closed, or is going to another part of the mall, renovating, etc. Mail order might not know, as they are in a separate section of the company from trade. I'll be talking with a couple people from headquarters on Wednesday, and will see if I can get an answer for you as well.

chris_valera
04-07-2006, 16:07
<RANT ON>

I live nearly 2 hours from the nearest GW stockist, in my case, GW Opry Mills. Generally, I plan my purchases and make a bulk order from the Online Store, or wait to travel to the Nashville store. If I needed something specific, say a blister of Inquisitorial henchman, I'd always make a special trip to the GW store to pick it up, because they (nearly) always had whatever I was after in stock, whether it was figs or paint or codex. I was a fairly regular visitor(not daily, but @ least bi-monthly, usually more).

My last trip about a week or so ago, they were having a tournament(which I had participated) final and a few of the regular employees I know were there. I chatted a bit, picked up my WD, a Seraphim blister and left without a word being said about a potential shutdown.

To be fair, they probably weren't told.

I made that same 2 hour trip today, to pick up some supplies for the Medusa V campaign, and was shocked to find an empty storefront. After asking several retailers around the store I found out that a few days ago(end of the month?) they came in, boxed everything up and were gone by the next day. They hadn't any idea if they had moved or what. I finally ran into a chap who knew a bit about the closing, and said ALL the eastern USA GW stores were shutting down.

Obviously they were in the wrong hobby. :evilgrin:

Where is the customer loyalty? If GW had bothered to tell me they were shutting down, they'd have saved me a wasted four hour trip, plus sky-high gas. I'd have happily ordered my stuff from the online store. It is really eating my @#!%$ **** that GW doesn't give a darn about its regular customers.

Well I don't think they were trying to screw you, it is a bit frustrating. Sorry dude.

Look on the bright side, at least you were able to get the stuff you wanted while it was open. I can't count the number of times I've gone to the Battle Bunker in Westminster and they've been out of stock of what I wanted...

Where am I supposed to participate in 'Official' GW events if there isn't an Official GW store within less than a half day's ride from my home!?!? To anyone from GW corporate reading, if you were trying to alienate your older, regular customers, consider mission accomplished. Expect me to keep coming back for more? Not anymore. I will deal exclusively with discount online retailers or a few of the independent retailers relatively close by. I will attend Rogue Trader events, boycott "official" events, and will quit introducing my son and his friends to the game. Maybe I can cut into your dwindling customer base by not passing it on to the next generation. You don't want me as part of the community, I won't be a part of the community. A simple announcement would have prevented this. Drop the shroud of secrecy over ALL you do. This isn't military secrets. National defense isn't at stake. You aren't the damn Dark Angels. It is a game and a business pure and simple. Simple ethics and manners go a long way. If you can learn to treat me with respect, I will return to the fold. Until then......
<RANT OFF>

GW? Treating their customers with respect? That'll never happen. Sorry, dude.

--Chris

Archaon
04-07-2006, 17:43
<RANT ON>

I live nearly 2 hours from the nearest GW stockist, in my case, GW Opry Mills. Generally, I plan my purchases and make a bulk order from the Online Store, or wait to travel to the Nashville store.

Where is the customer loyalty? If GW had bothered to tell me they were shutting down, they'd have saved me a wasted four hour trip, plus sky-high gas. I'd have happily ordered my stuff from the online store. <RANT OFF>

Listen.. it maybe is not nice from GW to keep this totally secret but they are not amongst the most stellar customerfriendly companies out there but you made a mistake too.

If i would drive 4 hours to just go to a store to pick up a bulk order i'd make damn sure that there is the stuff available else i waste my time and money getting there only to find out that half of the stuff is not available.

So all you had to do is call them up a few days prior to the trip and ask them to put your stuff away in a corner. Any shop i know of where i've been a couple of times will do that.. if they are not totall asses they would have told you then that the shop will be closed.

Wolf Scout Ewan
04-07-2006, 17:53
Ethics? Business and ethics dont go together.

NakedFisherman
04-07-2006, 17:55
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Someone gets mad that a GW store is closing, another person gets mad that GW stores are trying to put indies out of business.

The Winslow
04-07-2006, 18:36
That does open up a great spot for an indie game store to open up. Either stay out of the mall to avoid the high rent, and open up nearby, or go into the mall, and ask for a cheap short term rental of the old GW store.

EvC
04-07-2006, 23:25

Someone gets mad that a GW store is closing, another person gets mad that GW stores are trying to put indies out of business.

So basically... people complain if stores selling GW miniatures shut down, regardless of whether they're GW or indy. OMFG SOMEONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS HYPOCRISY!!!!!?!!!

Witch Hunter
05-07-2006, 00:58
If i would drive 4 hours to just go to a store to pick up a bulk order i'd make damn sure that there is the stuff available else i waste my time and money getting there only to find out that half of the stuff is not available.

I wasn't going for a bulk order this time. Just a few odds and ends, such as the Cities of Death Stratagem counters, and a pot of chaos black. May not have had the CoD counters, but unless something REALLY out of the ordinary occured the rest would have been in stock.

And, in my defense, I called the previous weekend to ask about the CoD counters and they didn't say anyting then about closing shop in a week.

Also, I have had a night to sleep on it. I retract the majority of my statements. I still think that GW could have made a small announcement in the Dwarf about the closings, or had a flyer for the regular customers to the shop, or left a recording on the phone for a week or so with an announcement. I should have called day of(have called today, phone still works, just no answer) trip, but I don't know that I wouldn't have still made the trip with no answer. In the grand scheme, it really wasn't that important, and my son and I were still able to make a nice day of it. The majority of my ire came from his disappointment. If I offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

Hellfury
05-07-2006, 01:20
This is funny. Most people I know have coniptions when a GW store opens up nearby. It kills the local business. You on the other hand, are completly opposite. You rant about how you threaten to go to online retailers and local venues now thattt the closest GW has closed

I am simply amazed.

Corporal Punishment
05-07-2006, 01:34
It sucks that you drove all that way to go there, Witch Hunter. I'd be a bit angry as well. They don't just make decisions to close stores on a whim so someone had to know that the end was coming.

On another note, I think it is a great thing that they are closing stores. To me that means that they realize there is an issue that needs addressing. I've also never understood why the company feels like it needs the high end retail space that the Mills chain of malls provides either. It is very expensive to be in those places. I suppose the reasoning is that the surroundings will increase foot traffic and impulse buying.

We have a local store here in Dallas but I never go there because a shop down the street sells everything at 10% off. Today they had a 20% off sale for the 4th of July which was pretty nice.

Adept
05-07-2006, 01:59
A simple announcement could have prevented this. GW, drop the shroud of secrecy over ALL you do.

Announcing your stores are going out of business is a good way to drop your share prices. Keeping it under wraps keeps the prices up as long as possible.

However, a notice in the window letting people know what has happened would have been appreciated.

Witch Hunter
05-07-2006, 02:08
This is funny. Most people I know have coniptions when a GW store opens up nearby. It kills the local business. You on the other hand, are completly opposite. You rant about how you threaten to go to online retailers and local venues now thattt the closest GW has closed

I am simply amazed.

If I had any Rogue Traders close, I probably could have cared less. The nearest RT store is the same distance(I think) and I don't know how to get there. I'm not terribly familiar with Nashville, so I was happy to have a store easy to find and easy to get to.

Blue Bacchus
05-07-2006, 05:34
I'm also affected by the GW Opry Mills closing, as my store in Franklin (South of Nashville) will not stock useful GW blisters or boxes. And if I want to game up there, it's every other Thursday which kinda sucks. :(

Sai-Lauren
05-07-2006, 09:26
To be fair, they probably weren't told.

Exactly, the staff were probably told the day before the stock got moved out - so probably Friday.

Happy holiday weekend. :rolleyes:

As for warning, once these kind of decisions are made, they usually are effected very, very quickly - I would hazard a guess that the decision would likely have been made at the start of last week at the absolute earliest - maybe even as late as Thursday night.

Drabant
05-07-2006, 09:49
Treating your customers good = returning customers. Not informing about changes = treating your customers bad. Returning customers = good business.

de Selby
05-07-2006, 12:36
They have plans to open several more stores, one of which they have discussed with me as it's in my area. (Far from my shops, technically in my area. They are being very polite and making sure we don't knock heads with each other.)

Glad to hear they do this, at least. I had heard unsubstantiated rumours of 'Starbucks tactics'. Cynically speaking, perhaps they no longer have the muscle.

RoboSmurf
05-07-2006, 14:06
Ill bit my lip on the Starbucks Tactics comments, but on to GW.

Dont forget, they are a business trying to make money. GW isnt running for Congress or anything they are out to make a buck. Ive stoped giving money to them and exculsivley shop at my LGS and maybe some on-line stores.

Heck, I goto my LGS for paintball, computer games, comics and so on a so forth. Ive been great friends with the owner for a while, maybe because I spend so much money there. But he even admits he makes all of his money in the summer with paintball and sells butt loads of MTG to cover in the winter. And I get a 10% discount because I already promised him my first born child.

On to stores closing, the could of at least had a sale :wtf:

Brandir
05-07-2006, 15:14
GW are extremely ruthless about their shops. Often they get space in a new development at a considerable discount. Sometimes a developer will let GW have a primary location at secondary prices, When their initial lease expires, the owners usually say 'rent is no longer discounted, its going up lots'. So GW say 'no' and find another developer who will offer a discount. You see GW don't need to have shops in primary locations; their model works extremely well siting shops in seconday locations.

Grimshawl
05-07-2006, 17:09
their model seems to work well closing down and disappearing too.

Crazy Harborc
06-07-2006, 03:39
Darn, I take a couple of days of holiday and surprise. Time to cancel the Nashville trip plans.......

I guess I'll take a short trip to the St.Louis Mills GW store tomorow(it's after closing time tonight). Will they be there? Will they know any news about the Opry Mills store?? Will.......more later maybe, maybe not.

The Winslow
06-07-2006, 03:40
GW are extremely ruthless about their shops. Often they get space in a new development at a considerable discount. Sometimes a developer will let GW have a primary location at secondary prices, When their initial lease expires, the owners usually say 'rent is no longer discounted, its going up lots'. So GW say 'no' and find another developer who will offer a discount. You see GW don't need to have shops in primary locations; their model works extremely well siting shops in seconday locations.

Not really ruthless, just business. I don't think anyone wants to pay more rent than they have to, and the landlord wants as much as he can get.

I got into my first mall location when the mall wasn't doing good, and being sold. They gave me a decent lease. 8 years later, they tried to raise the rent, and get me to put 30k into un-needed renovations. (I thought I didn't need them, they did.) I started the process of moving out and they caved and kept the rent the same for the next 5 year lease.

At my other location, rent was skyrocketing, and I knew the owner could get double what I had been paying, so when they agreed to a 30% increase for the next lease, I took it. It was still a good place to be in business, much better than closing up.

Witch Hunter
07-07-2006, 15:12
Darn, I take a couple of days of holiday and surprise. Time to cancel the Nashville trip plans.......

I guess I'll take a short trip to the St.Louis Mills GW store tomorow(it's after closing time tonight). Will they be there? Will they know any news about the Opry Mills store?? Will.......more later maybe, maybe not.

Be interested to hear what they had to say...if they actually know anything. Hope they are there, btw.

Crazy Harborc
07-07-2006, 20:58
Be interested to hear what they had to say...if they actually know anything. Hope they are there, btw.

I talked to a "source" (not working at the local store). According to him the local store is working as normal. Making money for GW even. I'll be nosing around there next week.

sephiroth87
09-07-2006, 03:37
The employees started grumbling about closing the Nashville GW over a month before it closed. A lot of us gamers started nosing around, seeing what we could get before it closed. They gave us a table, which was very nice of them.

As far as closing, I didn't make it to the closing of the store, but I heard it was very classy. They were raffling off the store armies and giving out old blisters as prizes. They didn't discount everything, since it was being shipped to other GW locations. However, from what the people there told me, GW didn't see the Nashville Opry Mills location as a hugely profitable place to make a beachhead, and I can see why. The rent must have been astronomical.

I game at Grand Adventures in Murfreesboro, TN, about 15-20 minutes out of Nashville. It's a very nice store with a large (100 players, about 40-50 who play some version of GW game) local community and the store has lots of good terrain. We play 40k, warhammer, necromunda, mordheim, BF gothic, Bloodbowl, confrontation, clix, starwars, and D&D minis, among a host of other stuff. The community is hugely active, and we have our own local game club that's hosting a big Rogue Trader Tournament in August.

If you're looking for a place to game or buy stuff, I heartily recommend it. The website is www.grandadventurescomics.com.

Crazy Harborc
09-07-2006, 05:07
Glad to hear about the flourishing indie store. It's a "little far" to travel for a game.

With the closing of several local stores in the time since GW opened one in the area, homegrown gaming tables are much more popular with the non-GW gamers.

Money spent on Entertainment has been down. Especially in the non-GW gaming community. That's what I've been told. GW is hanging in there....so far.

Witch Hunter
09-07-2006, 18:56
I may start making trips to Grand Adventures. Thanks for the weblink!!!

Lord_Robot
11-07-2006, 02:34
CRAP!!!!
I live in Clarksville TN, and I was going to go down to Nashville this weekend and pick up some Cities of Death buildings.
I liked that store...
I learned to play 40k there.

Colonel_Kreitz
11-07-2006, 02:45

That's the best assesment I've heard in a while...

Arjuna
15-07-2006, 07:50
I have been in a few official GW stores while traveling. BORING. good riddance, give me a games store with second hand stuff and some fat guy behind the counter eating a cheesburger while he rummages around for your order, over the antiseptic GW shop anyday.

GW mall stores are the suck.