PDA

View Full Version : First Founding Loyalist Chapters new units [POLL]

Anteater
25-06-2015, 13:01
Hello, if you could decide a First Founding Loyalist Chapter to get some new units, which one would get them?

Spiney Norman
25-06-2015, 13:29
Given that SW, BA and DA have already got plenty of unique stuff I think I'd choose Ravenguard, they seem to have a unique way of fighting which is not well represented by the generic marine codex, some more sort of elite jump-pack units, perhaps even some viable precision deep strike and more ways to 'stealth it up' would be awesome.

Asher
25-06-2015, 14:43
Agreed. I really hope they would introduce HH style recon marines at some point. Or at least give options to some squads to represent such.

Zogash
25-06-2015, 15:13
Yes, something that really reflects the RG's Hit and Run tactics would be sweet.

Chevron_Locked
25-06-2015, 17:07
Whilst maybe not a new unit type, maybe IH could do with some more... mechanical looking marine options.

Kerrahn
25-06-2015, 17:25
I want to see the return of 3rd Ed's Raven Guard Command Squads that could have Jump Pack + Lightning Claws... but only if the upgrades cost about the same as Vanguard Veterans. Would give Shrike a reason to actually join his squad instead of some other Jump Pack unit...

InstantKarma
25-06-2015, 19:23
Raven Guard for most of the reasons given above. More infiltrating/stealthy units an mix in some jump packs.

Treadhead_1st
25-06-2015, 22:00
Iron Hands - at the moment they do not even have a single Special Character, which at the very least all the other first-founding chapters can claim. They really should get a character.

Beyond that, I would rather see an expansion of options for specific chapters rather than additional units - so Ravenguard being able to take Jump Pack Command Squads, Salamanders giving Master-crafted to Terminators/Honour Guard etc. The current Chapter Tactics are a pretty good way of distinguishing the Chapters at the moment and a few tweaks to make them more significant is better than adding random new units to supposedly mostly Codex-compliant Chapters.

MajorWesJanson
26-06-2015, 00:02
Iron Hands- Add Stronos as a SC, and Iron Fathers to replace Chaplains/Techpriests- Basically a Techpriest entry with the added zealot rule.
Raven Guard- PA scouts with sniper rifles and camo cloaks.
Imperial Fists- boarding marines Boarding shield (5++, 4++ in cc) and bolter or ccw
White Scars- let any model on a bike take a power spear and combat shield for +15 points

Retrospectus
26-06-2015, 00:05
raven guard need the love

sunborn
05-07-2015, 09:48
Iron Hands needs the iron father unit. However, they also could use anything special. Whoever voted ultramarines can DIAF.

Lord Damocles
05-07-2015, 10:35
I want to see the return of 3rd Ed's Raven Guard Command Squads that could have Jump Pack + Lightning Claws...
'Lets make Black Marines (even) more like Red Marines!'

Between four and a half Codexes, two supplements, two Forgeworld army lists, a bunch of Chapter Tactics, plus an entire book of extra units, a billion dataslates and formations, and a whole game/setting built on Marines vs. Marines, the last thing we need is even more variations on Marines.

Beppo1234
05-07-2015, 13:12
I say just wait for Forgeworld to finish off the Legion rules, then translate some of the 30k special units to 40k, with some 10,000 years of tradition piled on top.

Still Standing
05-07-2015, 21:57
Hello, if you could decide a First Founding Loyalist Chapter Legion to get some new units, which one would get them?

Thousand Sons.

MagicHat
05-07-2015, 23:16
I say just wait for Forgeworld to finish off the Legion rules, then translate some of the 30k special units to 40k, with some 10,000 years of tradition piled on top.

This. Port over 2 FW 30K units into the standard list for every chapter.

Wesser
06-07-2015, 07:24
Hold on

The First Founding are the generic chapters that all other chapters are derived from, and the generic units in the SM codex is basically derived from those.

Per the Codex Astartes no one should get unique units, and those who couldn't care less about Mr. Guilliman generally do their thing due to chapter tradition..... hence SM is an utterly conservative bunch.

Unique units really ought be the preserve of newer chapters. Good examples being Black Dragons or Flesh Tearers, who have some unique... challenges... to compensate for

Still Standing
06-07-2015, 07:28
The First Founding were the original 20 Legions who were all pretty radically different.

Dkoz
06-07-2015, 07:34
Though I would love to see my precious Blood Angles get some new models, I think Iron Hands could certainly use a named HQ or two. I mean at least the other founding chapters in the codex have 1 named HQ.

Navar
06-07-2015, 17:21
So, I realized that I voted in this poll, but didn't offer any ideas.

I would like to see more units for Iron Hands.
I would like to see a tactical squad unit with a Sgt. in Terminator armor that can be fielded as a "troop" choice.
I would like to see an elite 5 man unit with Servo Arms.
I would like to see a power armor unit with Power Hammers Medusan Immortal style unit for assault.
I would also like to see a Power Hammer/Storm Shield Terminator unit.
Finally I think something like a "Vengeance Squad" would be really cool, but I am not sure which direction to go with it. Either some Bikers or Jump Pack assault troops, but the fluff for them is that they are dedicated to making the enemies of the Legion pay, and will give their lives if need be. They would have a special rule making them go faster, but having to take a dangerous terrain test or something (Like they abandon personal safety to bring their fury to the enemy.)

Perth
07-07-2015, 18:01
Iron Hands need a character.

No, Smashfether doesn't count.

Azazyll
08-07-2015, 01:44
'Lets make Black Marines (even) more like Red Marines!'

Between four and a half Codexes, two supplements, two Forgeworld army lists, a bunch of Chapter Tactics, plus an entire book of extra units, a billion dataslates and formations, and a whole game/setting built on Marines vs. Marines, the last thing we need is even more variations on Marines.

Can always count on the marine haters to come troll.

I'd personally rather see more variant options in existing unit. Salamanders with inferno pistols, hand and heavy flamers, Ironhands withterminator sergeants, jump packs for Raven Guard command squads, bikes for White Scars vanguard vets and power lances for characters. You get the idea. Let's loosen up the iron grip of theCodex Astartes and retcon it to be a bit less boring.

Lord Damocles
08-07-2015, 08:34
Can always count on the marine haters to come troll.
Yeah, sure. The person with >10,000 points of Blood Angels and several thousand points of Grey Knights just hates Marines :rolleyes:

I'd personally rather see more variant options in existing unit. Salamanders with inferno pistols, hand and heavy flamers, Ironhands withterminator sergeants, jump packs for Raven Guard command squads, bikes for White Scars vanguard vets and power lances for characters. You get the idea. Let's loosen up the iron grip of theCodex Astartes and retcon it to be a bit less boring.
So Salamanders and Raven Guard should take equipment/options which are currently being used to distinguish Blood Angels from vanilla Marines - thus making the various colurs less distinct. Where's the point in even having variant lists and units if they're not actually going to be significantly different?
And why shouldn't all Marines have those options? It's not like those weapons and jump packs are ultra rare kit. Why should Salamanders and Blood Angels get Hand Flamers and not Black Templars and Ulrarmarines? It's no more fluffy that way.

White Scars can already get Power Lances on everyone with access to the melee weapons list, and a Command Squad with bikes is basically a biker Veteran Squad (who can all take Lances) already.

Haravikk
08-07-2015, 15:43
Personally I'm of the opinion that no Codex Astartes chapter should have unique units, but instead should simply have chapter-specific boxes for things like tactical squads, devastators and-such, allowing for more detailed, chapter-specific variations of some (or all) of these depending upon what makes sense.

Of course that ship has sailed a long time ago for some of the chapters, but for those that remain I still feel that it'd be better to have unique versions of certain units. So for example, as others have mentioned, Raven Guard aren't well represented, but a unique Assault Marines/Vanguard Veterans (i.e- dual kit) box that's specific to them could go a long way towards giving them something unique in model terms, without requiring a new unit entry in the codex (since their special rules should cover any differences).

There are quite a few boxes that are overly Ultramarines themed, so getting veteran kits that better represent the other chapters would go a long way IMO.

Azazyll
08-07-2015, 19:43
Yeah, sure. The person with >10,000 points of Blood Angels and several thousand points of Grey Knights just hates Marines :rolleyes:

So Salamanders and Raven Guard should take equipment/options which are currently being used to distinguish Blood Angels from vanilla Marines - thus making the various colurs less distinct. Where's the point in even having variant lists and units if they're not actually going to be significantly different?
And why shouldn't all Marines have those options? It's not like those weapons and jump packs are ultra rare kit. Why should Salamanders and Blood Angels get Hand Flamers and not Black Templars and Ulrarmarines? It's no more fluffy that way.

White Scars can already get Power Lances on everyone with access to the melee weapons list, and a Command Squad with bikes is basically a biker Veteran Squad (who can all take Lances) already.

Hey, I just assumed from the whining.

As to the weapon choices, sure, I'd go for giving everyone access to them and letting players make the decisions. Or at least justifying it from the fluff. But why the most melta-flamer chapter in the galaxy can't take heavy flamers on its tacs and doesn't get the pistol versions at all makes very little sense. I was happy to see them get inferno pistols in 30K. Still no word that I've noticed that explains why hundreds of chapters use grav weapons, but the blood angels with all their technical saavy don't.

I guess I'd say I'm changing my opinion to more options for all is better. Give everyone jump pack command squads (every eighth company, after all). Give everybody centurions and double cc/librarian dreads. As far as I'm concerned, FW is doing it right with their HH stuff - just a couple of unique units, a few special weapon options, and a specific tactical formation (or whatever it's called), plus some universal special rules. That makes a lot more sense to me, while still preventing the boredom of "we all keep the Codex Astartes rammed so far up we can't bend over to put on our power boots."

As to White Scars, I'd say a vet bike squad would be fairly different, and critically it would mean taking more than one. As to the power lances, wasn't there a previous edition where you could only take a lance if that option was specifically allowed? I just checked my seventh and sixth ed. books and can't find it, so I suppose I'm either misremembering or it was from an earlier version.

Mawduce
08-07-2015, 20:50
who was the 1 guy that voted Utlra?

Anteater
08-07-2015, 21:21
who was the 1 guy that voted Utlra?

Haha what I'm wondering too xD

Ricky
09-07-2015, 18:59
I'm voting Salamanders because I love em. I'd like a special unit for the sole reason of having a Salamanders themed kit with loads of goodies to spread around regular units, kind of like the Blood Angels Tac Squad.

Heck, in my perfect world every first founding chapter would get a kit like that Blood Angels one. It's gorgeous. Imagine an Iron a Hands kit like that? Or an all Mk.6 Raven Guard squad? Drool. These things would sell.