PDA

View Full Version : Moving on from elves and stuck for ideas!

Peachy
04-07-2006, 05:46
I generally dislike threads that ask people to choose armies for them but in this case I am really stuck for ideas. I currently own fairly large high elf and dark elf armies, and am suck for ideas on what to do for my next project. Ideas I've had include:
- a Bret peasants army
- a Strigoi VC list
- a minotaur/monster beasts of chaos list

Any thoughts on any of those? What other themes or lists have people across that would be fun to play?

Thanks

Shaggoths_Rock
04-07-2006, 11:31
HI

I personaly play a Minotaur BOC list and i find it very rewarding

Its a great list if you love mosters as it frees up your special choices and makes one of your specials core.

sigur
04-07-2006, 11:36
I'm not sure if it's very effective (but I don't think you go for that anyway) but I'd go for the Bret Peasant horde. It can be a very good-looking army and interesting to play, I guess and I really like the sight of ranked-up infantry with colourful banners, heraldy and all. Go for it.

Neknoh
04-07-2006, 11:45
Hrmm... hard, very hard, lots of interesting choices there, perhaps otherwise go for a Daemonic Chaos army of Slaanesh utilising four units of Minotaurs for your Special Choices, that way, you can do the passing by starting a Cult of Slaanesh army with a Keeper and two units of mounted Daemonettes, then, when aiming for complete Chaos, get yourself one unit of Furies and your core choices are set, you can now add in up to four units of Minotaurs and have a very fast and interesting army.

For 3k, it's simply to add a Doombull, use him as the general and then, you can add as many Beast units as you like, and as many Minotaurs as you can possibly squeeze in at 3k alongside your Keeper and perhaps one unit of mounted nettes and one unit of Furies.

Of course, this is only a viable tactic if you were going to choose Slaanesh for your minotaur army (Undivided can work as well once you reach the 3k mark)

Peachy
04-07-2006, 12:09
One problem with minotaurs is that I don't like the GW figs, and the stuff from other ranges (eg Rackham) doesn't rank up too well and wouldn't fit in with GW figs.

Another options is a Kislev themed Empire army (with lots and lots of Kislev, bear riders using ogre rules etc) but not sure what's happening with Kislev in 7th ed, and Empire book is due out next year...

Viskrit
04-07-2006, 13:24
I'd go for BoC, but without the Minotaurs. :p

It's such a cool army.

mageith
04-07-2006, 15:43
I generally dislike threads that ask people to choose armies for them but in this case I am really stuck for ideas. I currently own fairly large high elf and dark elf armies, and am suck for ideas on what to do for my next project. Ideas I've had include:
- a Bret peasants army

My choice of the three but I don't think it will be very effective.

- a Strigoi VC list

I'd be afraid that the Strigoi rules will be changed a lot with the new armybook. So I'd wait.

I did this. Khorne. Lots of Fun but it was a no brainer against certain armies and dead in its tracks against other armies. As soon as I figured out which ones, the fun went away because I was pretty sure how I'd do as soon as the game began.

I do like the Minotaur Models and they painted up nicely but as others have pointed out when it comes to ranking up side by side, they don't do very well, the great weaponed ones anyway. They looked bad having to stand sideways, etc.

What other themes or lists have people across that would be fun to play?

They're all fun to play! For some, the fun justs lasts longer than others. The most versatile lists, IMO are OG and Empire. Based on the rumors I think they are going to get even better and more fun.

Mage Ith

Katastrophe
04-07-2006, 15:46
- a Bret peasants army
- a Strigoi VC list

Any thoughts on any of those? What other themes or lists have people across that would be fun to play?

Thanks

What about a wood elf army, keeps with what you have done in the past and can play alot like the other armies that you have listed there with the variety of tree spirits that you can use. Otherwise, I would go with something completely different, like bret peasants. that should be interesting as I have not been able to get that to work.

ZomboCom
04-07-2006, 16:21
A bretonnian peasants' crusade looks awesome on the table, and is still not a bad army. Sure, it's not as powerful as the all-mounted all-knights version, but peasants are cheap, get free, good, champions, their banners counts as 0 for vp and they can use the leadership of knights.

WillFightForFood
04-07-2006, 17:20
The Bretonnian Peasantry army is probably the most internally versatile of the three you have listed. Both BoC and VC are limited in terms of their ranged attacks whereas the peasantry army has both archers and a trebuchet. On the other hand VC and BoC can take DoW and BoC has all of the other Chaos options (a huge bonus if you're ever going to expand into other chaos armies). It's just that the BoC and VC armies are fairly predictable, and in the case of the VC there's just not a lot that differentiates the armies of different bloodlines (unless you use the unofficial lists).

How long do you want to spend painting? I'm sure you know an army of elites, like Minotaurs, is going to take less time to paint up than an army of 5 & 6 point peasants. You'll probably have to invest a good deal more time for the horde of peasants (although it's probably rewarding to see it all fielded). Just something to consider.

My vote is for peasantry, but then I'm not purchasing, painting, or playing the models.