PDA

View Full Version : Fanatics and Flyers

MarcoPollo
04-07-2006, 06:35
Do flyers have to stop if they are withing 8" of a fanatic unit? It seems kinda weird that they would have to stop for a ground event.

Festus
04-07-2006, 07:55
yes, and they can be hit.

T10
04-07-2006, 08:34
They were obviously caught by surprise. Again.

-T10

Latro
04-07-2006, 09:09
Sir Abelard the Gracious: I say, my vallant Knights! Let us bring our Pegasi down to the ground for just a second before flying on.

Pegasus Knights (in concert): Good idea my Lord, perhaps the dishonourable Goblins want to surprise us with their fanatics!

Sir Abelard the Gracious: Right then, that spot looks about right.

* clouds of dust slowly drift away *

Sir Abelard the Gracious: *coughs* Excuse me? You there, Goblin fellows! Would you happen to have hidden some fanatics within your ranks to surprise us with?

Muckle Calfbiter: Oi! Ol' Gibble here doesn't want to eat his mushrooms, says he has a sore tummy. We'll get it sorted out in jiffy ... could you hang on just a few more seconds?

Sir Abelard the Gracious: *sighs* Oh, all right then.

Muckle Calfbiter: Thanks man, we owe you one.

* frenzied screaming *

Sir Abelard the Gracious: Ah good, they're ready.

Sir Abelard the Gracious: *coughs* Oh noooooooo! It's a trap! They have fanatics!

Pegasus Knights (in concert): Oh nooooooooooo!

... yeah, I can picture that happening :p

:cool:

mageith
04-07-2006, 14:21
Do flyers have to stop if they are withing 8" of a fanatic unit? It seems kinda weird that they would have to stop for a ground event.

Festus is correct. And it is kind weird. What's weirder is GW actually thought about this is advance and wrote:

"As flyers move in long, low swoops or hedge-hopping glides close to the ground, they are treated just like foot troops for the purpose of triggering Fanatics." (OG 115)

Of course, a flyers can fly right over a released Fanatic with no problem but hidden Fanatics ALWAYS fool them.

Mage Ith

MarcoPollo
06-07-2006, 01:56
Well I hope that they do something about that in the new rules. I doesn't seem to fit properly. But, then again, there are alot of worse things that GW needs to fix before something like that needs attention.

Thanks all.

mageith
06-07-2006, 03:06
But, then again, there are alot of worse things that GW needs to fix before something like that needs attention.

I say fix it all! Inks cheap!

T10
06-07-2006, 07:29
Quick question: Are the hits caused by the Fanatic "shooting" or "close combat"?

Will the Banner of Doom (Vampire Counts) protect against a Fanatic?

-T10

Festus
06-07-2006, 07:56
Hi

Quick question: Are the hits caused by the Fanatic "shooting" or "close combat"?

Will the Banner of Doom (Vampire Counts) protect against a Fanatic?
Neither - nor, they are "movement" :D

jahorin
06-07-2006, 13:46
-T10

I don't have my book with me at work, but if I recall correctly, the hits cause by fanatics counts as shooting, so you have to randomize the hit if the unit is less then 5 models.

again not sure as i don't have my book with me.

mageith
06-07-2006, 14:23
I don't have my book with me at work, but if I recall correctly, the hits cause by fanatics counts as shooting, so you have to randomize the hit if the unit is less then 5 models.

In the two pages of rules for the Fanatics I couldn't find that you randomize on characters (Maybe I'm just blind.) But even if you did, that doesn't make it shooting. It would just make in like shooting in that respect.

To T10's question, the Fanatic damage is unique. It just is. That's one of the problems with it. "They don't fight in close combat at all." (OG 15) It occurs during movement during subsequent phases but creates its own subphase on its initial damage, though this too is caused by movement.

To me its more akin to shooting, but whatever it is, it won't follow all the rules for that because its unique. That's why the rules take two pages and still everything's not covered.

"As Goblin Fanatics cannot be fought normally, either player can ignore them and charge through them, moving as if they were not there." (OG 16)

Porg
10-07-2006, 20:32
I've checked the book. It doesn't say that fanatic hits are shooting; it only says that they can cause a panic test like shooting. It also doesn't say that hits against a unit are randonized like shooting (shame). So the Banner of Doom would not save your boney Vampire Count rear-end.

Shimmergloom
11-07-2006, 03:42
If a unit of pegasus knights or any other fliers are dumb enough to fly near a unit of night goblins, they get what they deserve.

Alco Engineer
11-07-2006, 04:21
It would make sense if they were to land within the 8" (I would like to be able to trigger fanatics and have a clump of trees between them an me) rather than as soon as you fly within.

I guess that's why they're expensive.

Festus
11-07-2006, 08:28
Hi

It would make sense if they were to land within the 8" (I would like to be able to trigger fanatics and have a clump of trees between them an me) rather than as soon as you fly within.
But you can have your wood just where you want it, by carefully using the Peg Knights to draw out the Fanatics.

You just can't have your cake and eat it: You cannot simply fly your Air Force to the best spot for next turns chagre AND draw out the fanatics... :(

Festus

eldrak
11-07-2006, 13:28
We had a weird situation were fliers trigged fanatics while flying over impassable train at that moment, flight path was so long they couldn't do an arc to get to the spot they wanted without getting within 8" from the NG's. Dunno what should happen then.
In the end the player decided to move the fliers to a different place, not triggering the fanatics

T10
11-07-2006, 14:37
Tough nut to crack, that. It could easily happen with a flying unit approaching over units and the like as well. Any good solution to this would involve landing them on open ground within their normal flying distance. I can think of several options, but no good ones.

-T10